Students died during PE lessons!

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

12-yr-old TJC IP student died during PE

Postby jetsetter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:53 pm

Second case during PE this week...RIP

A 12-year-old student from Temasek Junior College died on Wednesday during a physical education (PE) lesson, after he reportedly had an asthma attack.

A relative of the boy, who is an Integrated Programme student, told Chinese evening daily Lianhe Wanbao that he was getting ready to do warm-up exercises but fainted before beginning his run. The relative added that the student had informed the PE teacher that he did not feel well, moments before collapsing.

Police have classified the case as an unnatural death and are investigating.

This is the second such case this week. On Monday, a 16-year-old student from Tanglin Secondary died after jogging during a PE lesson.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-ne ... k-20140116

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: 12-yr-old TJC IP student died during PE

Postby ammonite » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:10 pm

So shocking for me to read this. Not blaming anyone, but given the prevalence of asthma among today's kids, I think they should introduce regulations that have emergency equipment on standby. Sometimes things can happen very fast and many things can go wrong when there is panic.

Condolences to the family. :(

(ps: parents with asthmatic kids, do make sure they bring their inhalers and that the teachers are informed. I am not sure how much help this will be in a very severe attack, but every little bit may make a difference or buy an extra minute.)

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Juz Mum » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:37 pm

This is just so so sad :cry:
2nd case in a week. That is unacceptable.
How can the parents take it?
My deepest condolences to the family.

Juz Mum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby atrecord » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:17 pm

I am shocked... read the first incident from CNA, but didn't comment. And today this...

How can we ensure that young kids now are safe from such incidents? DD who is in P5 now, has mild asthmatic symptoms when she was 5... She was given the inhaler and used it whenever she coughed badly and breathed very heavily. In the last 3-4 yr she has used it sparingly, maybe only once or twice a year. I'm worried about whether she will ever need it...

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby JJ1111 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:22 pm

So sad. :(

May the boy RIP. :(

JJ1111
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Dreamgear » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:31 pm

This is very sad.... RIP...

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:40 pm

atrecord wrote:I am shocked... read the first incident from CNA, but didn't comment. And today this...

How can we ensure that young kids now are safe from such incidents? DD who is in P5 now, has mild asthmatic symptoms when she was 5... She was given the inhaler and used it whenever she coughed badly and breathed very heavily. In the last 3-4 yr she has used it sparingly, maybe only once or twice a year. I'm worried about whether she will ever need it...

In the same boat with DS. He is sensitive to strong smells when he has a cold.
:sad:

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dreamgear » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:51 pm

Sun_2010 wrote:
atrecord wrote:I am shocked... read the first incident from CNA, but didn't comment. And today this...

Get a letter from the GP stating his / her condition and instruct them to show to the pe /cca teacher when they are not well.

Sometimes the kids get pressurised or are too timid to speak up

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:54 pm

My condolence to the family.

Feel so sad for his family. Read in another thread that he is Sec 1. After all the PSLE buzz last year, they are just adjusting to Sec 1 life and it's very unfortunate that this happened and CNY is round the corner as well. Parents must be devastated.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Dreamgear » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:57 pm

Sun_2010 wrote:

Get a letter from the GP stating his / her condition and instruct them to show to the pe /cca teacher when they are not well.

Sometimes the kids get pressurised or are too timid to speak up

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time