Migration to which country?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Migration to which country?

Postby S-H » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:02 pm

Just curious, which country to migrate - US of Australia? For better education and employment.

S-H
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Migration to which country?

Postby S-H » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:21 pm

S-H wrote:Just curious, which country to migrate - US of Australia? For better education and employment.

Seems like nobody know about this issue, hahaha...

S-H
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jjxy mum » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:08 pm

If I have a choice, I would choose Australia, it seems safer to me.

jjxy mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:13 pm

If I have more money, I would retire in Australia.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby S-H » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:49 pm

But I heard Vancouver in Canada not bad. Their std of living is lower, house and car also cheaper? If one do not have so much money, do you think he or she can still migrate?

S-H
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby starlight1968sg » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:51 pm

S-H wrote:But I heard Vancouver in Canada not bad. Their std of living is lower, house and car also cheaper? If one do not have so much money, do you think he or she can still migrate?

Unsure how to endure the harsh winter if having not so much $$.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dora1 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:28 am

I think both US and AU are very big countries and the different cities have very different things to offer in terms of education, employment and safety. Think it's better for you to first narrow down the cities that your field of expertise are in demand then you work from there.
Generally most US cities have a lower cost of living (I think you guys were talking abt cost, not std rt?) then SG and AU. I'm in the US right now. Other than the usual house and cars, actually 80% of everything here from shampoo to groceries to food are cheaper than SG.
I have family who has migrated to AU. In AU, other than house and cars, I think 80% of everything else is more ex than SG.
As for safety, again depends on where you stay, even within the same city. Do your research well, there are parts of the city that are not safe, then just stay away, dun even stop to pump petrol. Dun go out late at night.
Education wise, if you are thinking about public schools, then you have to find a state with good budget (stay away for the bankrupt or near bankrupt states even if the cost of living there can be incredibly cheap). US public schools go by zoning, so it's important to find a house near good schools. The standards between the good and bad schools can differ greatly. If you can afford it, go for the private schools, which costs around US$20k and above per year for elementary schools.
Another consideration might be to find a city with a bigger chinese/Asian population so that adjustment is easy. As we are still going back to SG in the future, my girl is taking chinese enrichment classes here. So if you still want your kids to learn chinese, being in a city with a big chinese population is important.
One big advantage of AU is the proximity to SG and the similar time zones, so it's easy to go back to SG and for families to visit.
It's a big decision and you need to do lots of research. But I must say it's really quite easy to adjust to life in US.

Dora1
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Dora1 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:28 am

I think both US and AU are very big countries and the different cities have very different things to offer in terms of education, employment and safety. Think it's better for you to first narrow down the cities that your field of expertise are in demand then you work from there.
Generally most US cities have a lower cost of living (I think you guys were talking abt cost, not std rt?) then SG and AU. I'm in the US right now. Other than the usual house and cars, actually 80% of everything here from shampoo to groceries to food are cheaper than SG.
I have family who has migrated to AU. In AU, other than house and cars, I think 80% of everything else is more ex than SG.
As for safety, again depends on where you stay, even within the same city. Do your research well, there are parts of the city that are not safe, then just stay away, dun even stop to pump petrol. Dun go out late at night.
Education wise, if you are thinking about public schools, then you have to find a state with good budget (stay away for the bankrupt or near bankrupt states even if the cost of living there can be incredibly cheap). US public schools go by zoning, so it's important to find a house near good schools. The standards between the good and bad schools can differ greatly. If you can afford it, go for the private schools, which costs around US$20k and above per year for elementary schools.
Another consideration might be to find a city with a bigger chinese/Asian population so that adjustment is easy. As we are still going back to SG in the future, my girl is taking chinese enrichment classes here. So if you still want your kids to learn chinese, being in a city with a big chinese population is important.
One big advantage of AU is the proximity to SG and the similar time zones, so it's easy to go back to SG and for families to visit.
It's a big decision and you need to do lots of research. But I must say it's really quite easy to adjust to life in US.

Dora1
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby S-H » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:49 pm

Dora1 wrote:I think both US and AU are very big countries and the different cities have very different things to offer in terms of education, employment and safety. Think it's better for you to first narrow down the cities that your field of expertise are in demand then you work from there.

:thankyou:
I have pm you :smile:

S-H
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby elenang » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:34 pm

Hi hi, I would like to re-visit this issue again..

Recently, read an article that New Zealand government inviting Singaporeans to stay...

Any one have any thoughts on that?

elenang
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time