Wearing shorts under school skirt ?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Wearing shorts under school skirt ?

Postby joconde » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:05 am

I'm thinking of letting my girl (P1 next yr, mixed sch) to wear shorts under her sch skirt (pleated type), so as to prevent 走光.

Just wonder if any parent here do the same ? Will it be uncomfortable for my girl ?

joconde
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby titank » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:25 am

Her movement would have some restrictions & imagine the shorts have to wear like 6-7 hours. :P

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby radiantmum » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:39 am

More long-term benefits to train her to be more conscientious with her sitting posture etc.

Actually if she gets used to having shorts under a skirt, she may actually feel uncomfortable (reminds me of people whom feel "naked" without stockings) without it. & her friends may make fun of her later.

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jedamum » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:47 am

joconde,
i'm not sure if you are a Mummy, but if you are, did you wear shorts under the skirt back then when you were schooling?
if i have a dd, i will surely let her wear shorts. 'safety' is more important. she can learn about proper sitting position other times or when she is older - don't we all (especially those mummies coming from Girls' school :wink:)?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby radiantmum » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:07 am

No offence here but for those from mixed school, we always notice the difference in how generally the girls' school students sit - awful and I tribute that to a reduced consciousness level as all girls.

PS: I am a girl and I don't wear shorts when I was in Primary 1. Haha probably kanna exposed also don't know.

However Joconde - do whatever u feel comfortable in - when u feel your child is "ready" and you may let your child let u know otherwise when she feel uncomfortable. Afterall, parents only have this short honeymoon period of "do what I say" :lol:

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MLR » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:12 am

Instead of wearing those PE shorts, may I suggest short tights. They are thinner and also made of more comfy material like lycra. There are also undies that are called "boy shorts", somewhat a modern version of bloomers.

My friends' daughters wear them, they goes to a mix of girls and co-ed school.

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby clarabella » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:15 am

I went to a girls' school for most of my academic life and wore shorts under my skirts for all those years. All my friends in school did too! I did not feel restricted in my movements at all.

My 4yo DD wears shorts under all her dresses and she does not mind it, but maybe she is just used to it - I started this when she was very young and just toilet-trained. I am very sure that she does not feel any discomfort, restrictions etc. For me it is important because she just cannot learn to sit like a lady! :roll:

Joconde, perhaps you can also consider the shorts-type of underwear. so only one layer would suffice. My DD prefers this option when the weather is really hot. Less 'coverage' but still modest enough for me :)

clarabella
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schellen » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:38 am

My DD wears skorts so no problem there! :wink:

For me, I think I wore shorts under my pinafore when I was in P6. I was in a co-ed sch. I wore them out of habit cos I was already having my periods then so having shorts on gave me the feeling of extra "protection".

When I went to sec sch, my friends and I always wore shorts under our skirts. We were in a co-ed sch. I think the main reason is so that if we choose to indulge in a game of volleyball/basketball during recess or after sch hrs, we could still play in our skirts and not have to worry about them flying up and causing us embarrassment. The boys whom we often hung out with were used to this. Another reason could also be because our skirts were white and they were made of super thin material so we wore shorts to feel more secure, I guess, especially when were were having our periods. (Luckily, this sch has changed their uniform design and material although it is still white.)

When I went to JC, I stopped wearing shorts under my skirt. By then, I was in a more conservative sch and constantly reminded myself to sit and get in and out of study tables with benches in a ladylike manner. (Actually, on the first day of sch, the senior girls took us freshies aside to instruct us on how to do this.) Also, the skirt was a dark blue this time and made of thick material. It was also A-line so no more "flying" incidents.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby xuanting » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:42 pm

i too wore shorts all the way under my pinafore/sch u. no discomfort at all. in fact, not wearing shorts felt kind of bare cos we often played and ran around during recess/free periods. will let my dd decide if she prefers to wear shorts under her uniform or to skip them. i think whoever is wearing/not wearing them has to feel comfortable.

xuanting
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby karmeleon » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:02 pm

schellen wrote:For me, I think I wore shorts under my pinafore when I was in P6. I was in a co-ed sch.

I was from a co-ed school, but wore shorts all the way to JC. In JC, it really did make sense bc was in RJC with that full pleated green skirt that just flies when wind blows. I rmbr trying to hold my skirt down while talking to schoolfrens at side of canteen or sports stadium. Thankfully I had shorts under!

My girl who's in upp sec wearing that ij convent pinafore wears shorts too. And she and her frens all do that everyday. And it has practical reasons like some here have shared. They can take off their pinafore and be in their shorts for games or if they feel more comfortable after school doing projects, skits, packing (moving school!)...

karmeleon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time