Water bottles

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Water bottles

Postby A better tomorrow » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:01 am

Mods, please put this in the correct section if it is not in the correct section. :smile: thank you .

What types of water bottles should we buy for our dc ?
There are stuff like bpa and many others . Does anyone have any recommendations on any cheap and good water bottles so that our children can drink the safest water . And how do we know which water bottles are really bpa free ? There are many fakes out there and I am not sure how to differentiate them. :thankyou:

A better tomorrow
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Water bottles

Postby TravelMummy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:44 am

A better tomorrow wrote:Mods, please put this in the correct section if it is not in the correct section. :smile: thank you .

There are stuff like bpa and many others . Does anyone have any recommendations on any cheap and good water bottles so that our children can drink the safest water . And how do we know which water bottles are really bpa free ? There are many fakes out there and I am not sure how to differentiate them. :thankyou:

I would recommend Lock& lock BPA free water bottles. Easily available from ntuc. Easy too wash, no frills and fuss free.

TravelMummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sembgal » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:04 am

Most plastic products are marked with a number that corresponds to the type of plastic it is made of. The number, known a as 'recycling code,' can be found within the triangular recycling symbol (see above) that recyclable plastics are marked with. The plastics you want to avoid are numbers 3, 6, and 7 - these are the types that can release nasty hormone disruptors and carcinogens into your food and drink.

#1 polyethylene terephthalate, #2 High Density Polyethylene, #4 Low Density Polyethylene, #5 Polypropylene are deemed the 'safer' plastics.

More info: http://www.worldpublicunion.org/2013-06 ... mbers.html

For children in preschools, try to get the types of water bottles that come with straws. The reason is that it helps to avoid spillage in classrooms and waste time clearing up the spillage and changing the child into dry clothes. The time could have been put to better use.

Replace the straw as and when required. Replaceable straws can get from Kiddy Palace or OG toys dept, water bottles section.

For primary students, can get the type of water bottles that have no straws.

Cleaning of water bottles: Use a new milk bottle cleansing brush to scrub the inside of the water bottle daily with detergent and water. Rinse it. Remember to wash the cover too. Hygiene is extremely important and a clean water bottle ensures that the interior is germ free and mould free. New clean fresh water should be replenished daily.

A better tomorrow wrote:Mods, please put this in the correct section if it is not in the correct section. :smile: thank you .

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby patntee » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:22 am

Thanks for the link. I have been shopping for a new water bottle for my DD too and do look out for BPA free labels. But I also saw that they are #7 though BPA free. So confused now.

patntee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby limlim » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:53 am

good info on bottles.. thanks!

Guess my problem is not so much on finding the right bottle but how to prevent lost.. my kid already lost a few bottles and they aren't exactly cheap.....

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:57 am

sembgal wrote:Most plastic products are marked with a number that corresponds to the type of plastic it is made of. The number, known a as 'recycling code,' can be found within the triangular recycling symbol (see above) that recyclable plastics are marked with. The plastics you want to avoid are numbers 3, 6, and 7 - these are the types that can release nasty hormone disruptors and carcinogens into your food and drink.

#1 polyethylene terephthalate, #2 High Density Polyethylene, #4 Low Density Polyethylene, #5 Polypropylene are deemed the 'safer' plastics.

I got one that is "7", but it is also stated BPA free.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby A better tomorrow » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:10 pm

All I can find are those with 7 and is bpa free.. :( confused here too.
There are others which are very cheap with 1 but I'm afraid that they are not bpa free and they are fakes .
As school hours are very long , can anyone recommend a good vacuum water bottle with no bpa and harmful things?
I want to try to keep dd water's warm .

A better tomorrow
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby A better tomorrow » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:12 pm

There are some bottles with no number at all . I'm afraid to buy those too . :(

A better tomorrow
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:28 pm

DS is using Nalgene brand. BPA free and made in USA.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby GLORYmum » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:13 pm

I'm using BROS and my kids are using Aladdin. Both bpa free and easy to clean.

GLORYmum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time