Singapore named world's most expensive city.

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Singapore named world's most expensive city.

Postby janet88 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:12 am

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Singapore named world's most expensive city.

Postby Dora1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:07 pm

We have now been staying in US for 2+ months. In these 2 months I really find that the prices of things in SG are really ridiculous. Besides the usual housing and cars where SG is known to be super expensive, almost everything here from shampoo to detergent to clothes and shoes, to raw food and restaurant food are much much cheaper here and much better quality too. The most ridiculous thing that I find is that foodstuff that is made in singapore such as Khong guan biscuits and the Meiji panda biscuits cost the same here even after conversion. How can they cost the same after shipping to the other side of the world? They must have been greatly marked up in SG to take into account the rental and delivery (Coe for commercial vehicles). Wages here for the service and lower end jobs are actually higher here than SG because of the minimum wage scheme.
We are really still in shock over the large difference in price of most basic necessities here. The only thing that is cheaper in SG is hawker food. Restaurant food is cheaper here, bigger portions and better quality, even for Asian food.
I think the crazy rental in SG has already impacted prices for everything in SG. We really need to watch out on the spiraling cost of living. We should not price ourselves out of the global economy, which we are already starting to.

Dora1
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:35 pm

Rental in SG is so high that prices of food have gone up tremendously.
Portions of food do not match up.
A bottle of generic paracetamol which I last bought late last year used to cost $2.05. Out of the blue, it shot up to $3.50...and I thought we are encouraged to buy generic medication...or did I read wrongly?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby love1001 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:48 pm

:congrats:
Yah!! We are NO 1.. We should thank PAP for making a tiny city becomes world most expensive city, ahead of Paris and Tokyo. 我们的政府真棒!Haha.. :thankyou:

love1001
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:42 pm

Little red dot most expensive in the world.
Govt will be proud...citizens suffer. If MNCs move their HQs to less expensive countries and their factories as well, people will lose jobs or suffer pay cuts.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby osim » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:02 am

We also pay the most in the world for getting viewing rights to watch the the World Cup. No thanks to stupid Singtel for trying to outbid starhub and make everyone suffer.

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby janet88 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:23 am

We, the citizens of little red dot are getting noticed by the rest of the world.
For knocking Osaka and Tokyo off the chart of expensive cities.
Rental is so high here...it's hard to enjoy a meal without burning a hole in your pocket. Such high expenses will make companies think twice staying put here. Idea of COE is to control traffic on the road...but a 1.6 litre car costs $100K plus depending on the make. So, my grouses about everything becoming more expensive is indeed true.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:27 am

janet_lee88 wrote:Little red dot most expensive in the world.
Govt will be proud...citizens suffer. If MNCs move their HQs to less expensive countries and their factories as well, people will lose jobs or suffer pay cuts.

When that happens, Singapore will become cheaper lor. Isn't that what people want?

Oh wait, that survey is for expatriates and does not take into account public housing, public transport, public education etc... Oh well, what do the details matter? :shrug:

And I thought the same people want those rich foreigners on our shores to pay more...

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dora1 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:35 am

We have a 2.4L SUV and a 3.5L sedan here in US. And the cost of both here cannot even buy a COE in SG, dun even talk abt the car yet.
While I understand SG is very small and there is a need to control car population, this is way too ridiculous. Another more ridiculous part is having COE for commercial vehicles. Other than adding to business cost, what else does it do? A business that needs the vehicle will buy it no matter what is the price. If they dun need it, they will not buy it even if there is no COE because the vehicle also cost money and no business will spend money buying things they dun need.
I think its high time SG gov re look at their policies. There are things that they can do to stop adding costs to business.

Hubby's US colleagues who have been in SG as expats all told him that he will be able to save a lot more here, even after paying the US tax.

It will be interesting to compile a list of median salaries for all these expensive cities and see where SG is in the list of median salary

Dora1
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janet88 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:51 am

some taxi companies flag down have different prices...of course I would try to go for the cheapest flag down rate. idea of taking a cab is to bring me to a destination...why are there different rates? Singapore wants to be competitive...so it has to relook into existing policies to do that.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time