Saving water from washing machine

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Saving water from washing machine

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:53 am

Anyone save the rinse water from your washing machine? We are intending to do this to help save some water. Any tips?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Saving water from washing machine

Postby icy_mama » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:35 am

i do...

i'll only save the water from the last rinse cycle. yields about 2 - 3 pails of water.

i used these water to wash the bathroom. to flush instead of using the toilet flusher. wash the floor outside the house. also to wash the kitchen floor.

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:10 pm

I don't. The water collected from my washer is dirty n colored. It will stain my toilet bowl so no point keeping.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:14 pm

icy_mama wrote:i do...

i'll only save the water from the last rinse cycle. yields about 2 - 3 pails of water.

i used these water to wash the bathroom. to flush instead of using the toilet flusher. wash the floor outside the house. also to wash the kitchen floor.

I hv not done so, though read in the newspapers.

I usu. put the w/m to use in the morning n go back to nap or go marketing while it runs.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:48 pm

My style is more or less the same as icy mama's. Keep the water from the last rinse for washing the toilet and flushing. Because there are so much laundry (don't ask me why), we practically leave the toilet flush alone. Once in a while, flush it for hubby's big business.

Washing the toile too - the water from the washer is enough to wash the toilet.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:05 pm

Imami wrote:

My style is more or less the same as icy mama's. Keep the water from the last rinse for washing the toilet and flushing. Because there are so much laundry (don't ask me why), we practically leave the toilet flush alone. Once in a while, flush it for hubby's big business.

Washing the toile too - the water from the washer is enough to wash the toilet.

Is it messy to shift the outlet pipe to collect the water from one pail to another pail?

MIL has bn doing so for many years, as the yard is washed daily.

I definitely need to shift the w/m (top loaded) sideways to reach the outlet pipe.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:09 pm

I collect the water from the last rinse too. I use it to flush toilet.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:46 pm

Jennifer wrote:Is it messy to shift the outlet pipe to collect the water from one pail to another pail?

MIL has bn doing so for many years, as the yard is washed daily.

I definitely need to shift the w/m (top loaded) sideways to reach the outlet pipe.

the current place has been renovated to cater to this habit of mine, so not very troublesome. But must get the timing of the discharge right. If the first pail is full already but I am not there to shift the second pail to the pipe, then ponding will occur. :wink:

When ponding occur, I would scrub kitchen floor :stupid:

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby icy_mama » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:33 pm

Imami wrote:When ponding occur, .....:

that happens once in every 50 years? :wink:

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:40 pm

My drain pipe is near the side of my machine, so easy to reach. I tried just now, and got a pail of water which we will use in the toilet. What I did was use the 'rinse hold' function which leaves the last rinse water in the machine until I discharge it, so I could reposition the tube first. Doesn't seem too difficult to do.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time