Turning 40 - A pre mid-life crisis????

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Turning 40 - A pre mid-life crisis????

Postby autumnbronze » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:09 pm

Hi,

Am seeking some input from daddies/mummies on this.

My DH will turn 40 early nxt yr. In the last couple of weeks, he mentioned to me a few times that he was quite bothered/affected at the fact that he will be turning 40 soon.

I told him to look at the positive side of things ie good health (unlike some of his peers), good job, achievements, wonderful DS etc..

In response to me trying to make him feel better, he told me that wasn't it.

I asked him to explain...

He said it was the number - the 40 yr old label. So I jokingly replied, "is this like a prelude to mid-life crisis??" He said, "could be."

Later, he told me that apparently, some of his friends have gone through what he is going through now and at that time, he laughed it off when they confided in him. He didn't realize that it would happen to him. He then dropped a bombshell - one of his gd frds went and bought himself a porche to make himself better :!:

There was a pause, then I asked him v v softly, "are you thinking of doing something similar?":sweat: (although common sense tells me that DH is to practical for that sort of thing, I know he would rather invest the $$ in something more productive, but I just wanted to be sure). His reply was negative.

Anyone facing/faced with a similar situation? Is this a phase he is going through? Suggestions on how/what I can do/say I can make him feel better will be appreciated. My DH is by nature an easygoing, happy and positive person. For him to confide something like this to me means that this is really bothering him. :(

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Eagle-Ladybird » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:52 pm

Yes, it's very common. Dunnoe about women, but buying cars (expensive or exotic ones) seem to be the outlet most times, for men. In car forums, a lot of men termed "ïmpulse buying"or "itch to change car"as MLC - Mid Life Crisis.

Other distractions would be to start a project or hobby, quite unrelated to previous - I guess is to "take their minds"off this "not-exactly-sure-what-it is-but-it-bothers-you-kind-of-thing

Eagle-Ladybird
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ZacK » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:18 pm

Goodness me... My countdown towards the big "4" will start v v soon :cry:

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby buds » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:22 pm

Aaaaannnd.... what's your itch, bro? :|

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby buds » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:24 pm

Eagle-Ladybird wrote:Yes, it's very common. Dunnoe about women, but buying cars (expensive or exotic ones) seem to be the outlet most times, for men. In car forums, a lot of men termed "ïmpulse buying"or "itch to change car"as MLC - Mid Life Crisis.

As long no itch to change the "woman" aka (wifey)... ok liao. :P
Is mid life crisis like menopause? :|

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mathsparks » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:28 pm

Let me scare all you big daddies further. :!:

First, your hair will slowly turn gray, then you'll need to color it each time you go to the barber. After that, the spare tyre around your waist will grow. And if that's not insulting enough, you'll start to snore (if you havent yet). And after that, you lack energy to do anything and need to resort to Eu Yan Sang's lingzhi. Oh ya, dont forget somewhere along the way, you'll develop long-sightedness which that fab machine aka eye-relax can help. And some guys will start to bald as well.

Need more advice, pm me so I dont scare you guys further. I'm a wifey who has seen hubby age.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mathsparks » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:32 pm

buds wrote:Aaaaannnd.... what's your itch, bro? :|

I'll bet its an itch that can't be scratched. :wink:

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mathsparks » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:44 pm

Yep, got it insider! Rem the ah peks plus their lady frens at the beach? They're paunchy, balding but rich, I supposed.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KopiYing » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:35 pm

My hubby turned 40 this year and he's ok leh.

Me turning 40 too and today went to make a nice pair of versace frames with progressive lens. Normal leh.

KopiYing
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby autumnbronze » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:36 pm

mathsparks wrote:Let me scare all you big daddies further. :!:

First, your hair will slowly turn gray, then you'll need to color it each time you go to the barber. After that, the spare tyre around your waist will grow. And if that's not insulting enough, you'll start to snore (if you havent yet). And after that, you lack energy to do anything and need to resort to Eu Yan Sang's lingzhi. Oh ya, dont forget somewhere along the way, you'll develop long-sightedness which that fab machine aka eye-relax can help. And some guys will start to bald as well.

Need more advice, pm me so I dont scare you guys further. I'm a wifey who has seen hubby age.

Hi mathsparks,

Hmmm ... k

1. Hair turn gray (already) - check
2. Spare tyre ard waist (a bit) - check
3. Snoring (started eons ago) - check
4. Lack energy
5. Long sightedness
6. Balding

No comments abt the last 3. :wink:

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor