Singaporeans really lacking compassion! Pregnant lady in mrt

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Singaporeans really lacking compassion! Pregnant lady in mrt

Postby AtheneaCroft » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:59 pm

I saw this article and video getting circulated around. I am so outraged!
Nobody bothers to give up a seat to this obviously pregnant lady.

http://www.fivestarsandamoon.com/pregnant-who-cares-a-social-experiment/

AtheneaCroft
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Singaporeans really lacking compassion! Pregnant lady in

Postby straffan23 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:13 pm

I think commuters not giving up the seat automatically is at most 50% at fault. The problem with many Singaporeans is that we are waiting for good things to fall on our lap. When it doesn't, we complain.

Once I was taking the train with my 2yo (while in my third trimester) and wanted a seat. Instead of waiting for someone to stand up and offer me their seat, I just went to the nearest priority seat and asked "Excuse me, may I have the seat, please?". Of course, she did not hear me the first time, so I repeated louder, and then she still didn't hear me, I repeated in an even louder voice.

And I suppose she finally heard me after the third time (so did half the others in the cabin!) ... to which my son and I said a similarly loud THANKYOU to her ...

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby FB555 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:54 pm

I think when there is the bad one, there is always good one. There is always two side in a coin. Why always think of Singaporean in such negative way. I always give up my seats to those in need. When i was pregnant, there were so many kind people that give up their seats for me. I really appreciate them v much and i wanted to do the same for the others. I think education is v important. I always give up my seats whether my kids are travelling with me in the mrt or not. If we want our future generation to be compassionate, we have to show it in action, not just talk about it.

Of course, the passenger who never give up her seats after been requested by a pregnant lady for 3 times was way too much.
FB555
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:40 pm

a pregnant lady deserves a seat without having to open her mouth.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:25 pm

Well.. the pregnant lady also have a part to play, to make it obvious that she is pregnant or needs the seat. (not referring to the one in the article)

Some pple, tummy a bit small, put a handbag in front.. make it difficult to judge. Maybe they can put on hand on the wrist to signal that she desperately needs a seat even if she doesn't want to open her mouth to ask.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:43 am

not all singaporeans are lacking compassion.
when I take the train with my daughter, there have been nice people who give up their seats for her.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 12mum » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:19 am

And if someone do give up his seat to you (pregnant lady), do remember to say :thankyou: and not act as if it is rightfully yours and the other person ought to and must give it up to you.

12mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Beatrice_NoQ » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:17 pm

straffan23 wrote:I think commuters not giving up the seat automatically is at most 50% at fault. The problem with many Singaporeans is that we are waiting for good things to fall on our lap. When it doesn't, we complain.

Once I was taking the train with my 2yo (while in my third trimester) and wanted a seat. Instead of waiting for someone to stand up and offer me their seat, I just went to the nearest priority seat and asked "Excuse me, may I have the seat, please?". Of course, she did not hear me the first time, so I repeated louder, and then she still didn't hear me, I repeated in an even louder voice.

And I suppose she finally heard me after the third time (so did half the others in the cabin!) ... to which my son and I said a similarly loud THANKYOU to her ...

Haha! That's really funny. But you're brave - not many people will dare to blatantly ask for seats in public places.. It can be quite daunting. Good on you!

Beatrice_NoQ
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby optimistforum » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:49 pm

On the London Underground expectant mothers get a badge, which when worn obligates fellow passengers to give up seats. So far it is working.
optimistforum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Jennifer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:32 am

These days many non Singaporeans takes the MRT. Why the title must b Singaporeans really lack compassion?

I hv bn mistaken for a pregnant woman many times, on the MRT as well as public buses.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time