what do you do with your teenager during free time?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

what do you do with your teenager during free time?

Postby HappyFaye » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:47 pm

Hi,

I have a 14-yo boy and 2 youngers girls age 11 and 5. The teenager finds bored easily with the weekend activities we do together.

Care to share what activities you do with your teenager especially boy?

HappyFaye
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: what do you do with your teenager during free time?

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:40 pm

My first response was "what free time?"! I have 2 girls aged 17 and nearly 15, and they are busy enough that we don't really have a lot of time with them these days. If they are at home, they will be on their computers or reading. We do talk a lot to one another as a family (one girl is quieter but we still get her to talk some). The main things we do as a family is play board games - we have some which are suitable for 8yrs to adult and are more the strategy type, not childish. We used to do this almost every weekend, but now it's once in many weeks as everyone gets busier. Sometimes we watch a video together (but this may hard for you because of the spread of ages). We've ust completed a 1000-piece jigsaw, but that was done individually as and when we had time and inclination, not all together (no space, no time!). On rare occasions, we will take a long walk together. Not sure what else you can do with a boy, though. What are his interests?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wonderm » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:58 pm

I have 2 teenage boys. They are usually very busy, so hardly feel bored.

Things we do as a family over the weekend:
- Eating out
- Chit chat about things we do and things we read (this is daily, but more over the weekend)
- Exercise together
- Watching a good show on TV.

wonderm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 12mum » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:21 pm

My elder one has so much homework, tests, cca activities, all kind of school activities (fun raising, community service blah blah ) that I think she eat, sleep, breathe school.

Very little free time. But I think this year (o level) is a bit more relax cos not so much homework n school activities n lesser involvement in cca.

12mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HappyFaye » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:02 pm

I make it a point that all of them finish their work by Saturday so we have Sunday for family day.

We have been doing the following activities like eating out, watching show, playing card games/mah-jong with the elder 2 kids during the weekends

We do go to parks but somehow the boy and the man do not enjoy as much as the girls. We go to west coast park for the pedal go-kart quite frequently. They enjoy going to the beach once in a while. Have been eating out every weekends. We don't really like to go to shopping malls because of the crowd.

Have been doing the same things for a while. Looking for more options. Maybe should start wii again but the boy does not seem to be keen...

Girls are easily contented, or am I the one asking for too much? :?

HappyFaye
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby HappyFaye » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:06 pm

My boy's interest? as usual, computer - either playing games or reading online news. Actually he likes outdoor activities but he feels bored with the girls' company. Always 'blame' the elder girl for being a 'girl'. He wishes to have a brother to play together :sweat:

HappyFaye
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:25 pm

We only have one son so he is worse than your son :smile: . We spend our free time as follows:

Weekdays:
- Chit chat
- Watch TV series/news together

Weekends:
- Go to church
- Visit grandparents
- Chit chat
- Eat out
- Watch movie

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bb_ mom » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:02 pm

Gap between my 2 kids only 2 years so not too bad to find something to satisfy both. We normally go out on weekend afternoons. Either east coast park for cycling/blading or west cost park for blading. Or sentosa to bum by the beach. Once in a while, it's shopping but only if we need to get something. And of course, there's movies. We let the kids take turns to select a movie.

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Fairy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:26 pm

I have two teens at home, 17 and 18 years old; a girl and a boy. They are usually so busy I doubt they have time to feel bored. For us, it's more like DH and me trying to squeeze in some family time whenever they can spare some pockets of time.

Things we usually do together:
- eat out (most of the time)
- movie
- cycling at East Coast Park
- relaxing at Mac Ritchie (once in a blue moon)
- check out new malls (eg recent new ones; JEM, Westgate, etc)

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby HappyFaye » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:15 pm

I have been wanting to check out Westgate because I'm sure my girls will enjoy the playground. But for my boy, I think he will die flat there. Some more the mall is so far from our place. If given a choice, my boy would like to stay at home. It's the mummy who wants to do things together on weekends but I can see that he is bored. When they were younger, family outing was so much easier...

HappyFaye
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time