SHOULD STUDENT CONSIDERED AS LATE IF DELAYED BY PUBLIC TPT?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

SHOULD STUDENT CONSIDERED AS LATE IF DELAYED BY PUBLIC TPT?

Postby Maris » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:31 pm

My son needs to take bus/MRT/bus to school, and the train was a bit slow when reaching Pasir Ris this morning. He ran :stompfeet: so fast and reached school at 7:30am but still caught as 'LATE' :pokeeye: , same as the first time when he was delayed by the bus.
He is a 'victim' in this case yet he still served detention this afternoon! :stupid: even though I explained to the school this morning. :shrug:
Punishment is a penalty inflicted for an offense or fault. Why should a innocent student served punishment? :pray:

Maris
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: SHOULD STUDENT CONSIDERED AS LATE IF DELAYED BY PUBLIC T

Postby jtoh » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:39 pm

What time does he normally reach school using public transport? If it's about 5-10 mins before school starts, maybe he should consider buffering in some time for public transport delays.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Maris » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:41 pm

Normally 7:15am

Maris
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby sunset_dae » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:11 pm

it is considered late because to the school and teacher, the student could have make an effort to leave the house earlier.
I remembered when I sent my son to P1 on the very first day of school, he was the latest to arrive. Silent reading starts at 7.15am and I thought its not complusory so we happily stroll into the school at 7.25am and realised we were late :yikes:
Lucikly, I act blur, told teacher he is P1 and its first day of school, we lost our way, duno where to assembly.
But there was a big group of older children who were being scolded and punished by the teacher for being late. I overheard the teacher telling them that school starts at 7.15am, no excuses for being late.

sunset_dae
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby KSP » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:16 pm

If the students in the school bus arrive late due to traffic jam, they will not be booked by the prefects in dd's school.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bb_ mom » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:16 pm

DD takes public transport to school & she leaves home really early. Normally, it takes about half hour to get to school. But if there's rain, that's it. She'll get to school just nice before bell rings. So we explained to her she can't assume no rain & get up later to take later bus. By then, if wake up & raining, too late! So when weather's good, like these few months, she's in school by 6.45am. Sooooo early. But it means no stress about being late and getting into trouble at school. And also with me.

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:37 pm

I think most schools will excuse lateness from major incidents like MRT breakdowns etc especially if there are a lot of students affected. If your child is the only one that day, then the school may decide not to give the benefit of the doubt as there will probably be too many who use that as a convenient excuse on other days. Most kids will build in some extra time just in case, and on the occasions when even that is not enough and excuses are not accepted, then just bear with the punishments. But the school seems very strict - I think most schools only require detention after several late days, not just after one?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Maris » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:08 pm

Yes, I am totally agreed that he should leave the house earlier. But it is still unfair if he left early and reached late to get punishment.
I should check with him how many students took train to the school this morning as I know most of students stay walking distance to this neighbourhood school.
1st time delayed by bus,
2nd time delayed by train
2 times late = 1 detention

Maris
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby bb_ mom » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:19 pm

Wow! 2 times late & get detention. So quick. I better check DD's school rules. :yikes:

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Maris » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:13 pm

:clubmyself: Another late cos he took a detour bus.
So 3 lateness = 1 detention
About 10 students were late but not sure if all took that train.

Maris
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Recess Time