Unfair(?) entry into normal academic stream

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Unfair(?) entry into normal academic stream

Postby Fullbanchoforce » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:49 pm

I am a sec 1 student. I'm NA. My PSLE score is 174, and I know very well that the lowest score possible for entry to NA is 152. But I have a classmate in my class, that only got 139.139! But she's in NA? Isn't that unfair? I asked the teacher, but the teacher refuses to tell me why is she in NA. Actually, I am quite mad at this.she got 139, and she could come to NA? Then, I could assume That i can be granted entry into express, since i got 174! It's so unfair!

Fullbanchoforce
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Unfair(?) entry into normal academic stream

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:38 pm

I don't want to comment on the fairness or unfairness of the system, but just want to point out that life is not always 'fair'. You don't know all the details, so there may be factors you are unaware of. For your own sake, just focus on your own studies and don't worry about whether others deserve to be there or not. Your results will be what really matter for you. Look at the positive side of being in NA - you get a slower pace and have more time to grasp concepts. If you do well, you have a chance to transfer to express later on, and you have a chance to take the O levels eventually anyway. If you went to express now, maybe you might find it really tough? I have a daughter who (on our advice) has opted for a slower stream as well as we think that suits her better. We advised her that there was no point trying to squeeze in the bottom of the faster stream but struggling.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

2 people like this post

Postby rains » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:17 pm

There is always a highest entry point and lowest entry point. The highest entry point of express (non-ip) stream in normal years is 254 while the lowest entry point is 200 (+/-). If we go by your logic, shouldn't the 254 scorers be sore at 200 scorers who scrape through the threshold of express stream? And that's a difference of more than 50 points. Compared to the difference between your score and your classmate's, the gap is a lot wider.

174 is still very far from the qualifying score of the express stream, so don't feel 'wasted' that you couldn't get into the express stream. On the other hand, you should feel happy for your classmate that despite her lower score, she managed to get into the normal acad stream as it would offer her more options in school and in life compared to if she had been admitted into the normal tech stream.

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iRabbit » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:14 pm

What's the road map for an avg NT student?

One thing which really shocked me was when I found out only around 67% of P6ers will qualify for Express. That percentage is quite low IMHO.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby rains » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:31 am

NT students usually go to ITE to learn some lifeskills after their N levels. There should be some who make it to poly after that but they are very few if I not mistaken.

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:38 am

rains wrote:There is always a highest entry point and lowest entry point. The highest entry point of express (non-ip) stream in normal years is 254 while the lowest entry point is 200 (+/-). If we go by your logic, shouldn't the 254 scorers be sore at 200 scorers who scrape through the threshold of express stream? And that's a difference of more than 50 points. Compared to the difference between your score and your classmate's, the gap is a lot wider.

174 is still very far from the qualifying score of the express stream, so don't feel 'wasted' that you couldn't get into the express stream. On the other hand, you should feel happy for your classmate that despite her lower score, she managed to get into the normal acad stream as it would offer her more options in school and in life compared to if she had been admitted into the normal tech stream.

:goodpost:

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:43 am

slmkhoo wrote:I don't want to comment on the fairness or unfairness of the system, but just want to point out that life is not always 'fair'. You don't know all the details, so there may be factors you are unaware of. For your own sake, just focus on your own studies and don't worry about whether others deserve to be there or not. Your results will be what really matter for you. Look at the positive side of being in NA - you get a slower pace and have more time to grasp concepts. If you do well, you have a chance to transfer to express later on, and you have a chance to take the O levels eventually anyway. If you went to express now, maybe you might find it really tough?

:goodpost:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:38 am

FQW wrote:What's the road map for an avg NT student?

One thing which really shocked me was when I found out only around 67% of P6ers will qualify for Express. That percentage is quite low IMHO.

Actually, the original intention was for about 50% of the cohort to get into Express, with extra time given for weaker students to do N levels, and then O levels. It has been relaxed in recent years.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:14 am

slmkhoo wrote:
FQW wrote:What's the road map for an avg NT student?

Actually, the original intention was for about 50% of the cohort to get into Express, with extra time given for weaker students to do N levels, and then O levels. It has been relaxed in recent years.

scroll to page 13 for the Singapore Education Landscape.

http://moe.edu.sg/about/files/moe-corpo ... ochure.pdf

Many roads to Rome :smile:

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iRabbit » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:15 am

rains wrote:NT students usually go to ITE to learn some lifeskills after their N levels. There should be some who make it to poly after that but they are very few if I not mistaken.

Thanks rain. So while some of the better scoring NA students would proceed to take O levels after taking N levels, the avg NT students will leave for ITE after their N levels? I guess the N levels for NA is different from that for NT. Is my understanding correct?

Btw I'm asking bcos one of my relatives is taking NA and his father is not so educated, thus I wish to find out more. Thanks.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time