More xenophobia in Singapore

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

More xenophobia in Singapore

Postby pirate » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:28 am

Yay! See what our true blue, local born, more native than Sang Nila Utama brethren are turning Singapore into.

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/many-worry-over-foreigner-bashing

People should just call a spade a spade, and stop being apologists for xenophobia.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: More xenophobia in Singapore

Postby Fried chicken » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:41 am

And yet, overseas, we have...

http://theindependent.sg/singapore-day- ... on-whites/

:siam:

Imagine the outcry if this was disallowed...
Last edited by Fried chicken on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fried chicken
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Sun_2010 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:42 am

:faint: :faint:

Seriously what is wrong with some people?

Singaporeans overseas celebrate Singapore Day in various countries.

I see two reasons
1. Extreme insecurity/fear
2. Intentionally stirring trouble, provoking those insecure.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:45 am

Fried chicken wrote:And yet, overseas, we have...

More on Singapore Day
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Day

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Fried chicken » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:59 am

Sun_2010 wrote:

More on Singapore Day

Ah, so it's an official thing. I didn't know that. :) But still... A bit rich to hold 'Singapore Day' events overseas and then have Singaporeans kick up a fuss when other nationalities want to do it here, minority or not.

Fried chicken
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby blueblue » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:48 pm

Sun_2010 wrote:

on Singapore Day

Both are different events.

Singapore day is not celebrating Singapore's national day.

Do you think we can celebrate Singapore's national day in public places in countries like Malaysia, Indonesia, China etc?

Besides, people are generally not against it, only against the venue.

blueblue
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Sun_2010 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:03 pm

blueblue wrote:

Both are different events.

Do you think we can celebrate Singapore's national day in public places in countries like Malaysia, Indonesia, China etc?

There is much more similarity than difference between the two events.
One stark difference I see is that we need our govt to help us do it :faint:
Besides that , it is all about people united by a common root/ memories wanting to celebrate that spirit.

Anyways, besides the official Singapore day, Singaporeans gather to celebrate National Day in many countries.

http://www.meldmagazine.com.au/2013/07/ ... melbourne/

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:16 pm

blueblue wrote:Both are different events.

Spot on. Singapore Day is a cultural cum food carnival, not the same as overseas Singapore ND celebrations. I do not think ND has ever been celebrated at public places before and I doubt the local govts you named would grant our organisers the licence to sing our National Anthem and recite our Pledge in their open parks or squares.

Singapore Day gets the licence because it's spearheaded by PMO, i.e. it's G2G, not some private societies or clubs talking to private venue owner, which might be the case for the Filipino one.

As far as I'm aware, overseas Singapore NDP (and CNY or Christmas/New Year banquets) have always been celebrated privately within private function halls, hotel ballrooms or the Ambassador's residence. National Day Observance Ceremonies are within closed doors where some 1,000 guests would rise to sing Majulah Singapura and recite the Pledge, whilst an animated state flag and lyrics are displayed on the stage backdrop. Attendees would be required to pay an admission fee for such private events that are 'self-funded' (Singaporeans/Malaysians buying tables), unless they are sponsored by Singapore's overseas missions that promote tourism or investment.

I'm not sure if the Filipino Independence Day event would include mass singing of their National Anthem, recitation of their Pledge or canvassing for political part(ies) in the Philippines thru the PA system at Ngee Ann Civic Plaza. If they are and their ambassador, trade consuls and/or other tourism officials are going to grace the 'nationalistic' ceremony, I would prefer the organisers pick another venue such as Suntec exhibition hall, Gardens by the Bay, Fort Canning Park, Botanic Gardens or Padang. The int'l migrant workers group had previously picked Race Coarse Road open space whilst PRC migrant group picked The Padang for their open air concert one year.

But fact is, I understand that this Filipino one is a social and apolitical gathering, therefore there's no reason why they can't apply for a licence to hold it there. Dun forget Ngee Ann City is privately owned by YTL. No one ever prevented them from leasing their space to lion dance troupes who "gong" shoppers to death over a few days yearly right? How about those int'l prayer events held this month? No one complained either:
http://www.ngeeanncity.com.sg/eventspromotions/index.html
Last edited by jetsetter on Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:34 am

blueblue wrote:Both are different events.

I seriously doubt that those spewing online vitriol against the event are even capable of appreciating the various nuances regarding the intellectual differences between this, that or the other event. From what I can see, the only thing they are capable of grasping are: Foreigners - Filipinos - at our Orchard Road - how dare they - they should not even be seen or heard in the first place.

And no, people are not generally against it, not even the venue. Only a very small but very vocal online minority. Really, we don't need more apologists for these bunch of clowns. Stop encouraging them... unless you agree with them.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dreamaurora » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:44 pm

I would like to offer my perspective as a foreigner on the apparent rising of xenophobia in Singapore.

As some of you have known, I am Indonesia born Chinese who is currently a PR here and married a local Singaporean girl. In my almost 20 years of living permanently here, I have never felt any animosity from any of my Singaporean friends. I learnt to appreciate the local culture and so did my friends who were non-Singaporeans. I never felt alienated at all.

During the recent years, the government here started to import more foreigners, especially from the so called third world countries such as India and Philippines. The issue here is that a lot of people from these nationalities tend to form their own enclaves because of the cultural clash and there is a serious issue of preferential hiring of staff from their own nationalities. Instead of attempting to mix and adjust their lifestyle to match the local culture, they often attempt to preserve their original lifestyle that they have in their original countries. The chaotic traffic condition that we see in Little India and the Filipino picnics at Orchard Road are good examples of this. Singaporeans are brought up to appreciate order and structure, and these foreigners' lifestyle often distort this sense of order that Singaporeans are so accustomed to.

It is no small wonder that a lot of local Singaporeans are getting more uncomfortable. There will always be a minority that is very vocal about this *Cough**Hardwarezone**Cough*, but from my interaction with local Singaporeans, even if they are not outright xenophobic, there is an increasing concern about rising number of these foreigners and the impact on locals' quality of life.

What I think can be done is these foreign community here need to educate their countrymen to be more mindful of local culture and custom. They also need to break out of their enclave and start hanging out with local Singaporeans more; most Singaporeans will be receptive as long they make the effort. And a little tact does go a long way. Instead of an outright nationalistic celebration at Ngee Ann City, perhaps the organizers could turn it into a some sort of carnival celebrating Filipino culture and cuisine where local Singaporeans and people of other nationalities are welcome?

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

2 people like this post

Next

Return to Recess Time