Monster Parents

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Monster Parents

Postby Han Seo » Sat May 03, 2014 2:59 pm

Have you all read the forum page in today's Straits Times? The writer is a preschool teacher with over 20 years of experience and she claimed that many of her colleagues have left the industry due to over-demanding parents. Personally, I have friends who resigned from leadership positions in this industry due to difficult parents.

What are your views?

Han Seo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:45 pm
Total Likes: 10


Re: Monster Parents

Postby sembgal » Sat May 10, 2014 1:21 am

Han Seo wrote:Have you all read the forum page in today's Straits Times? The writer is a preschool teacher with over 20 years of experience and she claimed that many of her colleagues have left the industry due to over-demanding parents. Personally, I have friends who resigned from leadership positions in this industry due to difficult parents.

What are your views?


Personally I know someone who used to work in EtonHouse, Kinderland etc. Gosh, the higher fee the parents pay, the more they demand. They can even teach the teachers how to teach children. The more educated parents will demand a lot :yikes: they should go teach a class and not their own child to see the difference between handling a child of their own in home environment is greatly different from handling a class of spoilt children in a classroom environment. Children can say I go back complain to my parents about you. It is not surprising at all to hear parents are getting more demanding due to their higher expectations.

:siam: Parents must 反醒

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2941
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:36 pm
Total Likes: 39


Re: Monster Parents

Postby Han Seo » Tue May 13, 2014 10:41 am

You are right, the higher the fees, the greater the expectations, whether they are reasonable or not. This student of mine had worked as a principal in a PCF kindy and she resigned because of parents' unreasonable demands. She told me she wanted to work in a private preschool and I told her it is not any easier.

Another friend had just finished doing relief teaching for a month in a neighbourhood kindy. She holds an Economics degree and a Diploma in Preschool Teaching and Leadership. I asked her how much she was paid and she said $12 an hour! Then I told her I paid my part time cleaning lady $15 an hour. Both jobs are physically tiring but the preschool one demands specialized knowledge but yet the pay is lower.

Han Seo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:45 pm
Total Likes: 10


Re: Monster Parents

Postby sembgal » Tue May 13, 2014 12:47 pm

Han Seo wrote:You are right, the higher the fees, the greater the expectations, whether they are reasonable or not. This student of mine had worked as a principal in a PCF kindy and she resigned because of parents' unreasonable demands. She told me she wanted to work in a private preschool and I told her it is not any easier.

Another friend had just finished doing relief teaching for a month in a neighbourhood kindy. She holds an Economics degree and a Diploma in Preschool Teaching and Leadership. I asked her how much she was paid and she said $12 an hour! Then I told her I paid my part time cleaning lady $15 an hour. Both jobs are physically tiring but the preschool one demands specialized knowledge but yet the pay is lower.


I paid my part-time cleaner $12 an hour and she is not highly educated. How can a person be working as a teacher in PCF be paid $12 which is the same pay as a cleaner? Your friend is so highly educated and qualified.

I was told that this industry has very high turnover rate due to the pay. It is not benchmarked according to professional staff's salary when teachers are considered professional and yet paid unprofessional salary. One of my friends said that it is very difficult to employ Chinese Singaporean teachers now as mostly those in the industry are Malays or Indians or from China or Philippines. I think there should be a quota restriction just like buying flats where too many of the same race cannot stay together in same block.

Thanks for your sharing Han Seo. Your sharing is insightful.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2941
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:36 pm
Total Likes: 39


Re: Monster Parents

Postby Dreamaurora » Tue May 13, 2014 4:42 pm

sembgal wrote:I paid my part-time cleaner $12 an hour and she is not highly educated. How can a person be working as a teacher in PCF be paid $12 which is the same pay as a cleaner? Your friend is so highly educated and qualified.

I was told that this industry has very high turnover rate due to the pay. It is not benchmarked according to professional staff's salary when teachers are considered professional and yet paid unprofessional salary. One of my friends said that it is very difficult to employ Chinese Singaporean teachers now as mostly those in the industry are Malays or Indians or from China or Philippines. I think there should be a quota restriction just like buying flats where too many of the same race cannot stay together in same block.

Thanks for your sharing Han Seo. Your sharing is insightful.


Chinese Singaporeans tend to be very pragmatic and shy from joining a career with lower pay and limited career progression, so the issue here is not about the racial imbalance among the teachers.

It is the same issue facing other education providers that are not about academic tuitions. A lot of locals simply don't consider teaching as valid career options. MOE at least pays teachers very well, but the salary scale for the rest of education sectors not under MOE are largely not regulated.

From my understanding, a major factor of running cost in preschool and kindies is the insane rental caused by an old policy of awarding tender to the highest bidder. Although the policy has been thankfully rectified, perhaps the government could provide some help to vendors who are affected by the old policy so they could provide more attractive salary to prospective teachers.

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:15 am
Total Likes: 34
1 people like this post



Re: Monster Parents

Postby tutormum » Wed May 14, 2014 12:07 am

I do have my share of monster parents but thank God they are a very small percentage. However, I do believe the scene is changing as these monster parents are becoming more common.
There are also unreasonable parents. Unreasonable cos they give tons of excuses why their kids are not doing the work that I give them. So much so that one of my students even remarked that tuition is not serious work, just play, play cos it's not in school environment. Some don't believe that their 'angels' are not only not focused in class but also disruptive. Coming in late for half an hour is no big deal as they don't face punishment like they do in school. No matter how much I emphasize to one parent about punctuality, his son is always late for class. :frustrated: :frustrated:
Yet, when their kids did badly in their exams, their number one remark is "My son should not be doing so badly when he has tuition." The number one question is "What can you do to help him do well?" :slapshead: :slapshead:

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1199
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:44 pm
Total Likes: 21


Re: Monster Parents

Postby janet88 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:54 am

The higher the fees of kindergartens, the more parents demand.

As for tuition, that 2 hours maybe once a week can't work miracles if the child doesn't follow up. Even schools want parents to work hand in hand with them. Tutor is not God...if child doesn't help himself, nobody can.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 33768
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 111


Re: Monster Parents

Postby zbear » Wed May 14, 2014 8:13 am

tutormum wrote:There are also unreasonable parents. Unreasonable cos they give tons of excuses why their kids are not doing the work that I give them. So much so that one of my students even remarked that tuition is not serious work, just play, play cos it's not in school environment. Some don't believe that their 'angels' are not only not focused in class but also disruptive. Coming in late for half an hour is no big deal as they don't face punishment like they do in school. No matter how much I emphasize to one parent about punctuality, his son is always late for class. :frustrated: :frustrated:
Yet, when their kids did badly in their exams, their number one remark is "My son should not be doing so badly when he has tuition." The number one question is "What can you do to help him do well?" :slapshead: :slapshead:



How old are these children?

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4990
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:14 pm
Total Likes: 64


Re: Monster Parents

Postby tutormum » Wed May 14, 2014 10:09 pm

zbear wrote:
tutormum wrote:There are also unreasonable parents. Unreasonable cos they give tons of excuses why their kids are not doing the work that I give them. So much so that one of my students even remarked that tuition is not serious work, just play, play cos it's not in school environment. Some don't believe that their 'angels' are not only not focused in class but also disruptive. Coming in late for half an hour is no big deal as they don't face punishment like they do in school. No matter how much I emphasize to one parent about punctuality, his son is always late for class. :frustrated: :frustrated:
Yet, when their kids did badly in their exams, their number one remark is "My son should not be doing so badly when he has tuition." The number one question is "What can you do to help him do well?" :slapshead: :slapshead:



How old are these children?

In primary levels. Honestly, if not for passion, I would have totally given up and retire. I could have just left them to their devices and collect tuition fees but couldn't bring myself to do it. Worse come to worst, I would tactfully tell the parents I am not a miracle worker and they shouldn't waste money on tuition if their 'angels' continue in their ways. :siam: Else, maybe there's a miracle worker out there who can do the impossible. :razz:

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1199
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:44 pm
Total Likes: 21


Re: Monster Parents

Postby janet88 » Thu May 15, 2014 6:56 am

problem is some parents are not keen to coach their kids in homework and hire tutors to do that.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 33768
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 111


Next

Return to Recess Time