Riders in Project Work

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Postby heutistmeintag » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:59 am

Insider, one naughty thing we do against riders is to assign the difficult tasks to them e.g. presenting a difficult topic and when they fumble, we jump in and save the group. Typically, the lecturers will be aware of what is going on and in a few of my projects, grades are given on an individual basis despite being a group project. If it's a group grade, then we have to be realistic and be contented to settle for a B grade. No point killing ourselves over 1 project.

Just my 2 cts worth

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:33 am

Does your dd get to choose the group mates?
I was lucky both in my diploma and uni years. I met the right people the first round and stick together throughout the diploma/degree course.
there was once in diploma course, out of goodwill we accepted an 'outcast' from other team and that was the last time we worked with that fellow. It is the attitude, not how much he can contribute that matters. cos in my degree course, in forming our first group, we accepted a foreign 'student' who was not conversant in English and although he was always in the 'backseat' during project discussion, he'll volunteer to do all the legwork like assignment submission, book research, printing, buying food and is very appreciative.

yes, junk the junk and soon enough, birds of the same flock will come together.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:27 am

Hee hee...riders meet me, they will freak out.

I will put the details of what is done throughout the project in the acknowledgement of the project with a completed status workplan attached on Page 1 of the submission, indicating the roles of all plus details.

So if there is anyone daring to be a rider, it will be published as such, no sugar coating. :P

However, it is executed diplomatically so riders can continue to be riders with their eyes open.

Also, I will ask all the right questions to the lecturer for the ears of riders so again, they decide if it is worth being a rider. The most important answer would be marks will be equitable with efforts put in by each individual.

I really don't mind and will not be upset doing most of the project if the lion's share of marks is coming to me based on lecturer's marking scheme. Lastly, whoever does the project gains the most in learning.

Postby autumnbronze » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:24 pm

Hi,

Yup, been in this situation b4.

Was in NIE then, the other 2 members just blatantly skived. Invited them to my hm, provided them with a comfortable environment, work was delegated, then no contact aft that. Didn't think much of it, I mean hello, we are considered post-grad students here, some maturity expected .... cuz I didn't face this problem up in UK when doing undergraduate studies.

One day b4 submission, both smsed with excuses. One had to go to Msia ...

Being a few yrs older than them, I had no time for this crap. So wrote in an email to tutor highlighting situation, and informing that I was breaking away and coming up with my own LIT project, the other 2 can carry on with the framework....

I was fortunate that tutor was not one who 'played by the rules' rigidly. Though she acknowledged my project and even gave me gd marks for it, she did mentioned in passing that I was expected to work in a team once posted, regardless whether I liked it or not. :wink:

BTW, those 2, left floundering at the last moment, miraculously came up with something and well did badly lah .... :lol:

Anyway, as a new teacher then, we had to assigned individual Lit projects to pupils. Found out from a pupil that one of them had paid someone to do it for her. Reporting it would have been such a hassel so I had to add on by getting them to do a self-evaluation and reflection (additional work for me :( ) to better assess them. Mind you, this happened in a reputable all girls school ...

I personally can't stand skivers/riders .... :x

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby EN » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:41 pm

I hate project group work. Difficult to get consensus. Ever I form a group work with 2 best buddies. They are not riders but two heads against one, half way through the project, I simply become the "yes" person. My marks suffer because they insist on their way. :x

The best project group ever done was when everyone has the consensus on which part they will be taking. This is based on their ability and strength and the leader will just tie up the whole project work together. The current situation at work.

Like ks2me, at the end of the project, we will indicate the roles that we played.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blobbi » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:03 pm

I absolutely hate free riders. I used to think perhaps I'm anal about getting things right perfectly, so I can't work with anyone who was chinchye. Thank goodness my career can be structured this way!

But back to the topic, I was chatting with a friend of mine who is a lecturer at a poly. She says kids these days are a different kettle of fish. Most have zero interest in the subjects but are very keen on the grades they get to achieve a great looking CV. They also want perfect notes that she has to print out for them (if she deviates from the notes during the lecture, they complain), and they'll argue for a higher grade even though they absolutely don't deserve it. When she tries to discuss the subject topics (to engage their thinking), they have no interest in speaking with her!

I'm really hoping that her sample size is too small to generalize, but this thread affirms her point of view.

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:29 pm

I had this problem before. I ALWAYS communicate through EMAIL or MSN (save all the chat history!).

There was once I was in a similar situation as your girl and I couldn't take it. Usually I'll just keep quiet and not be in the same group as those people, but I really was very angry that time and printed ALL email & MSN correspondences and went to find my lecturer. Explained the whole situation to him and asked him what should I do with the group members.

He was very fair & after our presentation, he personally asked alot of questions about the project to see who could answer the questions. After the Q&A session, he outrightly 'scolded' my group members and he said that it's so obvious that they did not do their fair share and will only get 50% of the marks, which means they fail that project unless they give him a make-up assignment within 2 days. None of them bothered to do the make-up assignment.

Now, these 'riders' are actually teachers in MOE schools. Imagine what type of teachers they'll be.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:54 pm

mrswongtuition wrote: None of them bothered to do the make-up assignment.
Now, these 'riders' are actually teachers in MOE schools. Imagine what type of teachers they'll be.

:!: Oh my goodness!! Firstly riders and then defiant and not want to do assignment. :faint:

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:57 pm

Blobbi wrote:But back to the topic, I was chatting with a friend of mine who is a lecturer at a poly. She says kids these days are a different kettle of fish. Most have zero interest in the subjects but are very keen on the grades they get to achieve a great looking CV. They also want perfect notes that she has to print out for them (if she deviates from the notes during the lecture, they complain), and they'll argue for a higher grade even though they absolutely don't deserve it. When she tries to discuss the subject topics (to engage their thinking), they have no interest in speaking with her!

:!: Another scary revelation...what is the world becoming? No big no small... :roll:

Postby Blobbi » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:24 pm

ks2me wrote: :!: Another scary revelation...what is the world becoming? No big no small... :roll:

ks2me, I don't want to be a scaremonger. The evidence I mentioned is actually anecdotal, from only one person. Perhaps like most things, a few bad hats spoil the reputation of the rest.

There are quite a few lecturers on this forum, including Chief Kiasu? Maybe they can add their experience?

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time