Govt new regulation on bus industry

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Govt new regulation on bus industry

Postby Jennifer » Thu May 22, 2014 8:50 am

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/vid ... 15666.html

Good news?

No mention on MRT industry. Wonder whether commuters will still be entitled to fare rebates when transferring from bus/train n vice versa.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Govt new regulation on bus industry

Postby starlight1968sg » Thu May 22, 2014 8:59 am

Unsure if this news is good or bad.
My main concerns are the affordability of the fares and the safety measures in place when using the public transport.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sparks » Thu May 22, 2014 1:19 pm

this is just going back to the original system of being govt operated. Privatisation of public transport didn't work out as there are obvious conflict of interests.

I'm glad our govt is taking decisive steps to address our public transport woes. Hopefully, we can say bye bye to sardine-packed trains & buses. :P

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu May 22, 2014 3:05 pm

It's a hybrid model. Essentially the government is taking charge of fundamental requirements (infrastructure, route planning) and leaving quality of service to market. I was personally very impressed by the idea when it was discussed about 5 years ago. It attempts to take the marry the best of both market and hierarchical control.

In a certain sense, the telco industry was also supposed to have taken the same approach with the roll-out of next gen fibre to the home network - the split between the underlying network infrastructure, active networks and ISPs was intended to insulate new entrants from entrenched competitors who also control the infrastructure at the same time. While the idea seems sound, the reality is that when problems happen, there is a lot of finger pointing as to who is responsible for the problem. At the same time, the largest incumbent telco continues to own and control the underlying network to a large degree. What makes it worse is that the same company is offering competitive services of its own. These are just some of the obstacles that LTA must also be wary of when rolling out its new model in 2016. While there is still a significant role for SBST and SMRT to play as incumbent operators, it must look after the interest of new entrants who are hungrier, but may be able to offer better services despite the lack of "track record".

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby concern2 » Thu May 22, 2014 3:56 pm

Jennifer wrote:http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/vid ... 15666.html

Good news?

No mention on MRT industry. Wonder whether commuters will still be entitled to fare rebates when transferring from bus/train n vice versa.

??? What is the article about? Link has gone missing?

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Thu May 22, 2014 5:09 pm

When I first read this on LTY's FB status which credited this idea to his predecessor's LTA Master Plan 2008, I was like...hey, yes the Plan of 2008 did mention abt some "competition framework" (3.6.1)...Then, I recalled reading about that in WP's Manifesto 2011 under Ch 9: "Transport":

1. The Public Transport Council should be dissolved. All public transport including the MRT and public buses servicing major trunk/inter-town routes should be brought under a National Transport Corporation which will oversee and provide universal transport service to all. This will ensure a smooth integration of the overall national transport network to avoid unnecessary duplication of services and cost of overheads incurred by multiple operators.
2. The National Transport Corporation should not be profit-oriented and should aim to provide public transportation service on the basis of cost and depreciation recovery.
3. The National Transport Corporation should be allowed to operate shops and outlets within the property under its control to cross-subsidise its operation.
4. The National Transport Corporation should concentrate on providing trunk services.
5. The government should build the infrastructure and pay for the initial operational equipment of public transport service as a social investment.
6. The National Transport Corporation is to ensure its proper routine and cyclical maintenance as well as timely replacement, the costs of which should be borne by the Corporation.

Cross-reference to this Infograph:
Not exactly the same, but you can see some fragments being rehashed.

Next, I remembered a jarring opinion piece by NMP GG ("Consider the economic reality of transport here", ST, 19 Jul 2011) on this same issue right after GE11.
http://geraldgiam.sg/2011/07/overhauling-singapores-public-transport-model/

At that time, LTY claimed that their proposal had “serious downsides, chief amongst which commuters and taxpayers are likely to end up paying more, and possibly, for a poorer level of service over time”. He added that “it is the profit incentive of commercial enterprises that spurs efficiency and productivity improvements”. :roll:

Recap Mrs LHH, then 2M of Tpt Min had shared the same sentiments :laugh:
http://news.asiaone.com/print/News/Elections/Story/A1Story20110416-273930.html

Fast-forward to 2014...

SG Politics, during its interview early this year with this same chap, asked again for his stance on nationalising our public transport system, to which he concluded:

"Well, that is the direction that we want to see our public transport system move towards. And keep in mind that at the time, the public transport operators were posting phenomenal profits every year. That was the context in which we made our initial proposal about a not-for-profit entity. We never actually called for strict nationalisation, along the lines of government taking over all the PTOs. But I think what we’re seeing now is the Government actually moving in the direction we've been calling for. It seems to be moving a bit more to the centre. It’s talking about tendering out certain routes and imposing certain quality measures, even talking about getting the operators to just focus on meeting the quality standards. Those are moves in the right direction. We will wait to see how those measures pan out before we state our position again. We are not dogmatic about nationalising."

I think he was right in some areas. The Govt is moving, if it hadn't been for a good no. of years, after this model was mooted some 6 yrs ago in the board room @ Hampshire Rd...It also appears it is moving towards the centre, i.e. by semi-nationalising the system, while allowing other PTOs (including foreign ones) to bid for route packages. A hybrid model is born...

IMHO, both sides have contributed in their own ways to the fruition of this new model. There had been robust debates regarding this in the House. Actions had been taken and changes were implemented promptly. And LTY is doing a good job by being open to new ideas, acknowledging that there're other ways to skin a cat and not being dogmatic about old ideas.

Will such a hybrid model be gooder? dunno lor...Let's wait and see whether this new model will bring about better service quality and more imptly, benefit lower-income commuters, students, special needs pp and the elderly. :evil: :wink:

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Thu May 22, 2014 5:32 pm

Thanks, jetsetter!

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Thu May 22, 2014 8:38 pm

I read in the papers that Sg has been studying the bus mgt sys in some countries. I believe it is good that after some proper studies, old mindset was thrown out, rather than keeping in order not to lose face.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Fri May 23, 2014 11:09 am

So, I should vote for GG in the next GE? :siam:

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Sat May 24, 2014 9:33 pm

Does it mean they do not need as many directors on board, and the top men salaries should be peg to civil servants' rate.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time