What is a PTM to you? Questions asked.....

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

What is a PTM to you? Questions asked.....

Postby BeContented » Sat May 31, 2014 3:44 pm

Just finished attending the PTM for my 2 kids.

I think it's a stressful time for the teachers esp when the child did not do that well. They will immediately talk about marks, reason ie. why they did badly in a particular section that drag their grades down ........ Hmmm not exactly my main purpose to attend PTM.

When I told one teacher it's ok, I hope my kids will learn their lesson, she was so relieved that I wasn't uptight about a poor score and not there to question it.

So it led me to this topic .... What is a PTM to you?
What do you aim to find out from the PTM?

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: What is a PTM to you? Questions asked.....

Postby sembgal » Sat May 31, 2014 4:54 pm

A PTM is for me to find out the strengths and weaknesses about my child in class learning environment as compared to home environment. It also provide me a chance to clarify with teachers about how to go about helping my child to prepare for next semester, what to revise with my child during June holidays and what is my child's potential in the teachers' eyes.

Nowadays, P1 teachers will not reveal the position of the student in class or level. It is possible to know where my child stands academically by asking the right questions that will not be deemed inappropriate to answer by the teachers. PTM is also a time to let teachers know who are the parents truly concerned with the child and usually those types of parents are those that go as husband and wife together to school to meet teachers.
Last edited by sembgal on Sat May 31, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby happyheart » Sat May 31, 2014 5:32 pm

sembgal wrote:A PTM is for me to find out the strengths and weaknesses about my child in class learning environment as compared to home environment. It also provide me a chance to clarify with teachers about how to go about helping my child to prepare for next semester, what to revise with my child during June holidays and what is my child's potential in the teachers' eyes.

Nowadays, teachers will not reveal the position of the student in class or level. It is possible to know where my child stands academically by asking the right questions that will not be deemed inappropriate to answer by the teachers. PTM is also a time to let teachers know who are the parents truly concerned with the child and usually those types of parents are those that go as husband and wife together to school to meet teachers.

I agree mostly with what you mentioned. I believed that PTM is an opportunity for parents to understand the child's strengths and weakness as well as to know what is the child's learning attitude outside home environment, in terms of academic subjects and social skills.

However, with the fact that PTM is held on weekday for secondary school students, I do not think parents whom show up as a pair is seen to be "truly concerned" than parents whom show up alone. It is simply a matter of logistics for some. Parents do need to take turns to take leave, esp in the case where you have more than one child. :smile:

happyheart
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Postby slmkhoo » Sat May 31, 2014 6:09 pm

BeContented wrote:So it led me to this topic .... What is a PTM to you?
What do you aim to find out from the PTM?

I think it also depends on what the school intends the PTM to achieve. I went to one earlier this year which was for the school to inform parents of what was in store for the year. We met the form teacher as a group and didn't get much individual attention, but I was happy to get a feel of what sort of person she was. I usually attend the first PTM of any school year for that reason.

For PTMs where parents can have the teachers' undivided attention, even for just a few minutes, I would want to get feedback about what my child is like away from my eagle eye! That would include classroom behaviour, social behaviour etc. If I have particular concerns, I might ask then, but I'm more likely to contact the teacher as and when an issue arises and not wait for a PTM. So this time, I didn't sign up to meet any teachers as my daughter doesn't seem to have any particular issues, and no teacher sent me an 'invitation'.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat May 31, 2014 6:54 pm

sembgal wrote:... Nowadays, teachers will not reveal the position of the student in class or level. It is possible to know where my child stands academically by asking the right questions that will not be deemed inappropriate to answer by the teachers...

My girl's P3 FT was very upfront about her position in class. She told me without me asking. In fact, I think the girls' positions are made known to the entire class. I think this is a good thing, as they will at least know where they stand.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

1 people like this post

Postby Nebbermind » Sat May 31, 2014 7:18 pm

Donch seem to have that many ptm since my boy left pr school.
Remember the first thing we used to ask was "Was he giving you any trouble in class"...then "How's he getting on with the other kids".

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Sat May 31, 2014 8:59 pm

Ptm is a chance for the teachers to corner me and shoot me point blank. :faint:

If I do get a chance to ask, I usually ask the following

- is he humble or a show off? Will he help the weaker/physically smaller classmates?
- can he mix well with the classmates?
- does he respect authority and is disciplined?

My son's "form teacher" added me as a fb friend. I read from her fb updates that there's a lot of work behind the scene for preparation of ptm.

Honestly, am not looking forward. Last year, I had ptm with the same teacher as this year's. I was so tired of her complaining that I told her straight in her face,"have you ever tried to understand or get to know my son? Or is he just a face with a name whom you couldn't manage?"

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Postby phtthp » Sat May 31, 2014 9:06 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:My girl's P3 FT was very upfront about her position in class. She told me without me asking. In fact, I think the girls' positions are made known to the entire class. I think this is a good thing, as they will at least know where they stand.

It is great that your dd school is upfront about the position of your dd, in class.

In my dd school, the Form tr replied "Sorry, I cannot tell you the exact position or ranking of your dd, nor her position within the entire cohort level. But can only tell you only roughly which range she fall into."

reason why inside school report card -
The position of our child in own class, plus within entire cohort -
Is not written down / recorded anymore unlike the past :-
is because the school doesn't want the children to compare themselves : which classmate is before, or which classmate after you?

Example
In P1, usually there are 30 kids, per class.
Half the class mean there are about 15 kids.

So, my dd school Form tr at the very most will disclose only the range your child fall within. But not disclose the exact position.
The child just have to do her personal best, in the next round, or next Term.

As for cohort level performance, Form Tr won't tell us where she stand.
but based on the combined 3 or 4 subjects Total percentage at her level : if her combined Total reach a certain minimum percentage, means your child is within a certain xxx %, within the entire cohort level.

So, instead of asking Tr, "Tr, do you think my child got any chance to get into the Top, few classes next year, after streaming ?"
The answer is found in your child's report card -
Tr will ask the parents back, "refer to your report card. How many % did your child obtain overall, in combined Total ? "

At Upper primary level (P5 / P6) -
Ranking within cohort level tells more info than ranking, within the class itself.
Because it depend on the standard of individual class.
If the class is so so -
If child get Bs and Cs : child can be ranked high, within her own class.
But child cannot run away from entire cohort level.

So, purpose of PMT is to have a frank, heart to heart talk, face to face with the Tr.
besides Term results, also need to find out how is her social behavior in school, and whether she show any EQ, in dealing with fellow classmates.
Nowadays, in working life, EQ is more important than IQ.
Our kids spent bulk of their time in school, sometimes more than 6 hours.
Are they behaving like monsters or angels in school, parents won't know.
But Form tr can feedback to us, sometimes through their behavior, inside the school bus on the way to school or after school hours, besides being in classroom.
Sometimes sitting inside the school bus, there are alert "policemen" around.
If your dd is naughty, behave like a school bully or a hooligan, the school mates sitting inside the same school bus, can report to your dd form tr, about your dd behavior. The kids will report, "so and so did this to another so and so, inside the school bus". they can call up other eye witness, to Form tr.
Form tr take note, inform parents about child's undesirable behavior in school, that she is far away from an angel.

Besides behavior, tr also discuss about character of yr child -
Is child pessimistic or optimistic type ?
Eg :
If din do well in some subject, can the child bounce back from failure, stand up and try again one more time ?
Or continue to fear, brood ?

Does your dd show confidence, or she tend to cry type, over minor things, like forget to bring a book to school ?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:59 am

In some primary schools, last time (before 2013) for each Term test(s) or exam papers for (English, Maths, Science, mother tongue) -
Some schools actually showed -
Highest score
Lowest score
Average score, on your child's test / exam papers.

Some schools (minority), still practise this, today.
But may be slowly phasing out, soon.
Because majority of the schools, had done away with revealing the above.

Because highest score -
No need to disclose.
At level cohort -
there are so many classes, within the same cohort.
There are bound to find some kids who are disciplined, hard working, meticulous in their work, careful not to commit mistakes, check and re-check their paper a few times, before submit paper to subject Tr.
Hence, at level cohort, these pupils will get full marks.
So, highest score will be full marks, at level cohort.

As for lowest score -
Serve no purpose to let all the parents know what is the lowest score.
What usefulness does it serve ?
Nothing
End up only to make that poor child feel worse, knowing that his or her marks happen to tally or coinicide with the lowest marks, recorded in that paper. (Whatever subject)
Only to make this poor kid erode his confidence further, knowing that his score is the lowest, amongst his peers.
No, schools should not erode a child's confidence.
Schools by right should help to build up a child's confidence, not cause kid to lose it.
Thus, Schools should not even disclose the lowest marks.

As for average score -
One would have thought that this comes in useful, handy.
Eg
If a child falls below average, parents will do their utmost best, to help the child catch up, quickly with rest of the class.

But then, strange thing is : there are some parents who complaint.
They said if by showing the average score, and the child happen to fall below average, their child gets demoralized, knowing that he perform below his peers.
So, don't show average : got parents complaint.
They say, "i Don't know where my child stand ? But I want to know."

Show the average already : also got another group of parents murmur & grumble. "Hey, pls don't show average, ok ? I don't want my child, to be de-moralized. What if next Term, my child still can't catch up. How ?
Why do you want to de-moralize my kid ?"

Show or don't show, also got people complain.
Very hard to satisfy everybody.
In the end, schools decide -
Ok, don't show.
Let your child go and perform his personal best.
(whatever the child's personal best is)
Then, parents cannot complain anymore.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:50 pm

sembgal wrote:
Nowadays, P1 teachers will not reveal the position of the student in class or level. It is possible to know where my child stands academically by asking the right questions that will not be deemed inappropriate to answer by the teachers. PTM is also a time to let teachers know who are the parents truly concerned with the child and usually those types of parents are those that go as husband and wife together to school to meet teachers.

My kids sch put the position in the report book from P3 onwards.

It also showed the 25, 50 & 75 percentile + top and btm scores so that student know where they stand.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time