PSP for kid

Postby wswslim » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:48 am

PSP as a present for your kid (K2) ?

Any feeback and comment ?

wswslim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby BlueBells » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:21 pm

Gees ... I think it is a bad idea. The value of the gift is too high for a K2. At their age, I feel they should be taught to NOT expect any presents, just hugs and kisses, or something of small value.

If my kids as for PSP - I will provide either of the following answer :

1. NO

2. Ok. You save up 80% of the cost, I will subsidize on 20% with conditions of only playing it during weekends and school holidays.

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

No PSP

Postby Atan » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:34 pm

Agree with BlueBell. We bought 2 TV games for our son, 6, and we can see that he would be totally addicted if he has a PSP! He gets to play WII n Xbox sometimes at his cousin's place ( 8 yr old girl, father is Arcade King!). Thats about it. He had ofcourse requested for PSP, Xbox, WII on many ioccasions but we had advised him that these are toys for older kids and not suitable for him now.

Maybe, we would grant him a PSP some years ago when he has learnt self discipline.

Atan
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby shaz » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:41 pm

For a K2 kid, i feel that the games for Nintendo DS is more suitable as compared to PSP. There may be some parents who are against buying such items for kids but i do see some advantages

1) improve motoring skills
2) act as a carrot - they must complete their homework and chores assigned to them before they can play
3) bonding with dad - who helps clear difficult levels for them
4) a good tool when you are out with friends and dont want kids to run around :D

I'm quite hooked on some of their games too :lol:

shaz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby heutistmeintag » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:54 pm

My kids play PSP, XBOX360 and computer games e.g. Habbo. I think it's all about moderation. Play too much, the kids may get distracted or worse, physical side effects. If you keep from them, you cant do that forever. The urge will get stronger over the years becoz they are so curious what other children are playing.

What I do restrict however is the type of games, I do not allow them to play games with extreme violent or sexual content. The games I encourage are those requiring teamwork and cooperation. As what Shaz had said, it is really good bonding sessions for the family.

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Atan » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:18 pm

I will try to keep my kid fm PSP for as long as I can... We had introduced him to the 'old fashined' games such as Happy Family, Donkey, Snap, Memory games, Aeroplane, Chinese Anmal chess game, Chess, and latest - Monopoly. He enjoys them all. Such games are healthier for his eyes and also help in developing various learning skills.

I see myself getting him a PSP, or whatever electronic gadget that may be in then, when the right time comes.

Atan
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tanzyjac » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:53 pm

I probably am the odd one out here... I gave my 6 yrs old daughter a Gameboy when she was 4, a DS Lite last year and a PSP this year. Both my husband and her enjoy challenging each other in games such as the latest Ape Academy, etc. Luckily for me, my daughter is quite self-discipline. Unlike her lower primary school cousins who glued to DS Lite consoles the whole day every weekend, my daughter only play her DS Lite for about 20 minutes at night and on some nights she don't even play them.

We are planning to "upgrade" to a Wii Game if I get my bonuses :( I find that Wii Games especially the Wii Fitness and Wii Sports are good for the whole family. We just had a bout of "lulla-hoop" exercies last weekend, very energised and definitely some calories burned. :D

tanzyjac
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby tanzyjac » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:58 pm

heutistmeintag wrote:My kids play PSP, XBOX360 and computer games e.g. Habbo. I think it's all about moderation. Play too much, the kids may get distracted or worse, physical side effects. If you keep from them, you cant do that forever. The urge will get stronger over the years becoz they are so curious what other children are playing.

What I do restrict however is the type of games, I do not allow them to play games with extreme violent or sexual content. The games I encourage are those requiring teamwork and cooperation. As what Shaz had said, it is really good bonding sessions for the family.

I agree with heutistmeintag. I will not allow my daughter to play any games that is violent or with sexual content. I don't even allow her to watch TV programmes that is violent or quarrelsome like the recent 9pm show on TV8.

tanzyjac
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby heutistmeintag » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:05 pm

oh yes, just want to add. There are also quite a number of good games in PSP and XBOX360. In PSP, there are PQ and PQ2. These 2 require logic thinking, visualizing and look aheads to move and stack boxes (basically IQ games). For XBOX360, there are Guitar Hero series and VivaPinata. These are good clean fun for the family, and a distraction to destress from their school workload.

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: PSP for kid

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:15 pm

wswslim wrote:PSP as a present for your kid (K2) ?

Any feeback and comment ?

If you are fine with exposing your child to game consoles, I would recommend the Nintendo DS for children under the age of Primary 3. The platform and games are much more suitable for children of that age. The PSP tend to be a lot more adult-oriented, and the games more violent. The Nintendo DS's pen input interface also makes it a very good platform for young children to learn and play at the same time.

We have an old review of suitable games for the Nintendo DS here.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Next

Return to Recess Time