Beauty pageant

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Beauty pageant

Postby kiasimom » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:35 pm

I have a friend who is "addicted" to beauty pageants.
She takes part in "Ibu of the Year", "Mrs Singapore" and many more.

In order to better prepare herself for the pageants, she attended many etiquette courses.

She also enrolled her son for Little Manhunt.

Just too bad, she doesn't have a daughter, otherwise she will enroll her in Little Miss Cinderella :-)

Do your DS and DD take part in pageants too?

I have heard that by taking part in pageants, it help to build up the child's self esteem and confidence.

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Beauty pageant

Postby autumnbronze » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:58 pm

kiasimom wrote:I have heard that by taking part in pageants, it help to build up the child's self esteem and confidence.

Hi kiasimom,

Thats what I heard too. My DH has been persuading me to get DS on the cover of magazines like Young Parents etc....

Still thinking about it though ....

Lets see, if it happens, will update you :wink: :wink:

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby EN » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:42 pm

My ex-colleague has a dd born a week apart from mine. When her daughter join the Young Parents baby contest, she encouraged me to let dd join too. I did it for fun. You know young parents, nothing to do. So we went to have her photo taken in Plaza Singapura where the contest was held. A few weeks later, she smacked me with the magazine. I didn't realize that dd was selected to be the top 10 finalist. Yes, her photo was published in the Young Parent Magazine. She won one year supplies of toiletries courtesy of Johnson & Johnson.

Recently, I was shopping for kids clothing in Fox Kids. For a specified minimum amount of purchase, I am entitled to allow my kid to join in for Fox Kids Modeling competition. Seeing my dd was excited, I let her join in. But then, since I bought equal amount of clothing for ds too, I get ds to join his sister. The result was unexpected. Ds was called for the semi-finals while dd was not selected. Poor girl. She was quite upset.

I'm not addicted to beauty pageants. I did it for fun. Just those two experiences for my kids. Myself? Errr....forget it. I just started to put on make up after I hit 30. I feel strange to put on a skirt or dress. Feels a bit bare without long pants or jeans.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasimom » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:45 pm

Oh yes autumnbronze,

Please do keep us updated about the progress :-)

I am also eagerly waiting to hear from experienced parents :-)

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby autumnbronze » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:48 pm

EN wrote:The result was unexpected. Ds was called for the semi-finals while dd was not selected. Poor girl. She was quite upset.

Hi EN,

Oh dear! How did you manage to console her???

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby EN » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:54 pm

EN wrote:
The result was unexpected. Ds was called for the semi-finals while dd was not selected. Poor girl. She was quite upset.

Hi EN,

I really feel bad for her. I sort of promise to let her get herself made up and take studio photos (like a modelling port folio). Have not done it yet. I think it is quite costly & I dont want her to be influence in the wrong direction. Hmmm...maybe gives it as her next birthday present.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasimom » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:05 am

Those studio shots are really pretty!

A good idea for a present ;-)

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby autumnbronze » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:12 am

EN wrote:
EN wrote:
The result was unexpected. Ds was called for the semi-finals while dd was not selected. Poor girl. She was quite upset.

Hi EN,

I really feel bad for her. I sort of promise to let her get herself made up and take studio photos (like a modelling port folio). Have not done it yet. I think it is quite costly & I dont want her to be influence in the wrong direction. Hmmm...maybe gives it as her next birthday present.

Hi EN,

I always think that its tougher for parents when they have more than one child, cuz they have to be conscious and not compare or show favouritism etc... (I have only one child). So when something like the above situation happens to a young child, I believe it can get challenging for a parent to 'make things better' for the 'upset' child just to ensure that he will not be affected adversely.

Anyway, I'm sure your DD will love the shots - imagine her v own portfolio!!

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby EN » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:02 pm

always think that its tougher for parents when they have more than one child, cuz they have to be conscious and not compare or show favouritism etc... (I have only one child). So when something like the above situation happens to a young child, I believe it can get challenging for a parent to 'make things better' for the 'upset' child just to ensure that he will not be affected adversely.

Hi autumnbronze, kiasimom

I take it as a lesson learnt for me. Good as a birthday present as ds birthday falls on the same month too. I'm sure he will ask other things as present.

autobronze, let me know the outcome ya.

kiasimon, you not into such things?

My relatives sent a picture of her then toddler daughter for a new parental show in tv. Hers was not selected. But a few years later, the tv producer called her up asking for new photo. Since she doesn't have a single photo of her child but sent group photos of her children. 2 were selected by the producer and the company wanting to do the advert. In the ad, the daughter was in the background, but the son is the one that is the main character.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Beauty pageant

Postby skunk » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:19 pm

kiasimom wrote:I have heard that by taking part in pageants, it help to build up the child's self esteem and confidence.

Not all pageant contestants, but i would say, a large majority are simply vain, narcisstic and frivolous people.

Real and lasting self-esteem and confidence wells up from the inside, not a product of the outside.

Those who are truly confident people, are people who are comfortable in their own skin, who live life not caring about how others judge them.

skunk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time