Effects of climate change & gobal warming

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Effects of climate change & gobal warming

Postby BlurBee » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:03 am

Children's Health A Dangerous Omission From UN Climate Talks
Contributor: Voxy News Engine
Monday, 7 December, 2009 - 09:50

As world leaders prepare for the UN Climate Change conference in Copenhagen this week, World Vision is warning that current climate negotiations are failing to safeguard billions of vulnerable children from the greatest killers - malnutrition, diarrhoeal disease and malaria - which are likely to be exacerbated by climate change.

World Vision has released a report, 'Climate Change Threats to Health' calling for urgent action to build climate resilience into existing health programmes to improve the health and nutrition of women and children under five.

"We urgently need interagency collaboration to integrate climate change variables into all existing and future child and maternal health programmes and we need to re-examine current development standards to redefine their baseline needs," said World Vision spokesperson on climate change, Tim Costello.

The international community currently spends about $16 billion each year on health programs in poor countries. This investment will be undermined and many more lives lost unless the deal struck at Copenhagen includes immediate measures to protect children.

"Global climate negotiations are leaving behind more than two billion children in less developed countries that will be the most affected by climate-related health issues," said Rev Costello.

"It is essential that international actors collaborate to climate-proof existing health programs to protect children and the billions of dollars being spent on health programs in these countries."

Climate change poses unprecedented threats to people's health through the spread of vector-borne diseases such as malaria, extreme weather-related disasters and growing pressures on the availability and quality of food and water.

Children are more at risk than adults as they make up a larger share of the populations of developing countries and are physiologically far more vulnerable to a hotter, wetter and drier world.

Increases in global temperatures are already impacting the health of people across the globe. The 2003 heat wave in Europe killed more than 37,000 people and caused a crop shortfall in Southern Europe.

"Governments in industrialised countries are beginning to factor these climate changes into their health systems, but in less developed countries they simply don't have the infrastructure and resources to prepare," said Rev Costello.

"The predicted increase in the numbers of children with malnutrition, diarrhoeal disease and malaria are likely to overwhelm health care systems unless they are adequately resourced and staffed."

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby BlurBee » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:39 pm

Climate Change is a planetary emergency that threatens the survival of many small island states.

For some low lying states like the Maldives, Kiribati, and some of the Bahamas, the risks from sea level rise threaten their physical existence, as they would very easily be inundated by sea levels in excess of one metre above current levels – levels that can be reached by 2100, if significant action is not taken immediately to reduce and ultimately limit the atmospheric concentration of greenhouse gases to well below 350 parts per million (ppm) in the long run.

For other states, their social-economic viability will be compromised, inter alia:

- By the rising seas which will damage their coastal zones, where the majority of their socio-economic infrastructure is located;
- By the saline intrusion into their coastal aquifers which will negatively impact on their drinking water and agricultural activities;
- By the destruction to their coral reefs and their fisheries habitats that result from increases in ocean acidification and rising temperatures; and
- By the impact of stronger tropical cyclones that can destroy years of positive development in a matter of hours, as has been demonstrated time and time again, including by the recent experiences of Cook Islands (2005); Cuba (2008); Fiji (2008); Grenada (2004); Haiti (2004; 2008); Niue (2004); and others.

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:01 pm

Prevention is easier than trying to cure now...

Postby BlurBee » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:30 pm

One of the quotes from Albert Einstein:
"Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."

In order to "cure" our Earth, will u give up ur meat diet?

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby BlurBee » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:39 pm

A recent authoritative report published by the World Watch institute, authors Goodland and Anhang concluded that over 51% of greenhouse gases (GHGs) emissions come from Livestock.

In the run up to the Copenhagen climate change summit, it is vital the following information be disseminated to the public as well as to our political leaders.

A widely cited 2006 report by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, Livestock’s Long Shadow, estimates that 18 percent of annual worldwide greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions are attributable to livestock….however recent analysis by Goodland and Anhang co-authors of “Livestock and Climate Change” in the latest issue of World Watch magazine found that livestock and their byproducts actually account for at least 32.6 billion tons of carbon dioxide per year, or 51 percent of annual worldwide GHG emissions!

The main sources of GHGs from animal agriculture are:

Deforestation of the rainforests to grow feed for livestock.
Methane from manure waste. – Methane is 72 times more potent as a global warming gas than CO2
Refrigeration and transport of meat around the world.
Raising, processing and slaughtering of the animal.
Meat production also uses a massive amount of water and other resources which would be better used to feed the world’s hungry and provide water to those in need.

Based on their research, Goodland and Anhang conclude that replacing livestock products with soy-based and other alternatives would be the best strategy for reversing climate change. They say “This approach would have far more rapid effects on GHG emissions and their atmospheric concentrations-and thus on the rate the climate is warming-than actions to replace fossil fuels with renewable energy.”

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby 3Boys » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:12 pm

BlurBee wrote:In order to "cure" our Earth, will u give up ur meat diet?

Errr....no?

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:58 pm

BlurBee wrote:One of the quotes from Albert Einstein:
"Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."

In order to "cure" our Earth, will u give up ur meat diet?

Actually I am fine with it. Personal experience tells me that I am healthier when I eat less meat and I am happy to revert to it.

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:59 pm

3Boys wrote:
BlurBee wrote:In order to "cure" our Earth, will u give up ur meat diet?

Errr....no?

Men are usually big meat eaters so this would be a tough call.

Postby 3Boys » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:56 pm

ks2me wrote:Men are usually big meat eaters so this would be a tough call.

I am all for climate change control measures, but I suppose I am not in favour of it being turned into a vegetarian movement. Eat LESS meat, perhaps, travel less, use aircon less, all good. Stop meat altogether? Ummm, extreme in my view.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:07 pm

3Boys wrote:
ks2me wrote:Men are usually big meat eaters so this would be a tough call.

I am all for climate change control measures, but I suppose I am not in favour of it being turned into a vegetarian movement. Eat LESS meat, perhaps, travel less, use aircon less, all good. Stop meat altogether? Ummm, extreme in my view.

Agree, even if everyone just eats LESS meat, it would probably help ALOT already. :celebrate:

Next

Return to Recess Time