All about retrenchment

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

All about retrenchment

Postby ApronMama » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:00 pm

I am asking this question on behalf of a fren. Under what circumstances can an employee request for retrenchment arrangement from his employer? Such as job transfer due to current job reduntancy... etc What else?
Last edited by ApronMama on Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: All about retrenchment

Postby kiasimom » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:02 pm

ApronMama wrote:I am asking this question on behalf of a fren. Under what circumstances can an employee request for retrenchment arrangement from his employer? Such as job transfer due to currency job reduntancy... etc What else?

From what I know, an employee cannot request for retrenchment.
Why don't your friend resign?

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ApronMama » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:03 pm

kiasimom wrote:
ApronMama wrote:I am asking this question on behalf of a fren. Under what circumstances can an employee request for retrenchment arrangement from his employer? Such as job transfer due to currency job reduntancy... etc What else?

From what I know, an employee cannot request for retrenchment.
Why don't your friend resign?

Retrenchment means it comes along with retrenchment package.

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kiasimom » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:05 pm

Hi apronmama,

All the more, it is not logical for the employer to retrench the employee based on request.

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Andaiz » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:09 pm

ApronMama wrote:I am asking this question on behalf of a fren. Under what circumstances can an employee request for retrenchment arrangement from his employer? Such as job transfer due to current job reduntancy... etc What else?

ApronMama, is your friend asking for a golden handshake? i.e., after 15-more years in the same organization?

Some employers do give due consideration to seasoned employees for retrenchment "volunteers".

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BlurBee » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:11 pm

If the company is having this retrenchment exercise, then ur friend can talk to her boss & request to put her name in the list. There is no guarantee that her will be chosen.

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ApronMama » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:18 pm

kiasimom wrote:Hi apronmama,

All the more, it is not logical for the employer to retrench the employee based on request.

I think it depends. For example if a job has been outsourced and instead of lay-off the employee, a mismatch job is given. Hoping that the employee might eventually choose to resign...and so on. Instead of accepting another job, can the employee request for a golden hand-shake?

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ApronMama » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:21 pm

BlurBee wrote:If the company is having this retrenchment exercise, then ur friend can talk to her boss & request to put her name in the list. There is no guarantee that her will be chosen.

Do they need to justify ?

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby BlurBee » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:30 pm

ApronMama wrote:
BlurBee wrote:If the company is having this retrenchment exercise, then ur friend can talk to her boss & request to put her name in the list. There is no guarantee that her will be chosen.

Do they need to justify ?

Not very sure about the actual procedure. This is a confidential issue so this should be between she & her boss only. She should talk to her boss.

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MMM » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:49 pm

Saw in the organisations that I worked before that depending on the trust between the employee and their bosses, there can be a open communication where an employee express their desire to be retrenched.

Provided that the relationship between the employee and his/ her boss is fine, the boss will actually recommend the employee for retrenchment.

It really depends on the situation. In alot of retrenchment exercise, there is usually a headcount reduction target. Sometimes, it's driven by number of heads to retrench rather than cost impact. So to meet the numbers, the boss might "gladly" retrench someone who has the desire to be retrench.

Meanwhile for the package, it really depends on the company. In some org that believed in treating employees fairly, they will not stinge on those retrenchment benefits.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time