General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:248

Re: All about retrenchment

Post by slmkhoo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:20 pm

pirate wrote:
limlim wrote:They should always ask this question, why should the employer employ them? Are there better/cheaper alternatives? there, the answer to whether he will get employment. Of coz if he can work in his father or grandfather company that is different story.
Father or grandfather company may tell you to start from Office Boy. :wink:
Some fathers/grandfathers may ask the youngsters to get experience working their way up in another company and then moving into the family company only after they have more working experience and proven themselves.

Steadyberry
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Steadyberry » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:15 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Steadyberry wrote:He did psychology & a poly grad. Not varsity grad.
Sounds like he will be unemployed for a while until he becomes more realistic!
When I asked why he did psychology instead of business, accountancy or engineering, he said all these have no future. I told him I know a few accountancy grad (late thirties) with over 10k salary per month. The boy said 40 years old then only can get 10k, a bit too old. I was shock. To me, it is not easy to get a job nowadays especially after being retrenched, and this boy seemed to imply that it is easy to get a 10k salary per month.

And whenever I pass by mrt, there are always people approaching you to sign up for credit cards or buy insurances. Wonder are they new graduates because they look young to me and how much their salary is per month?

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:39

Post by Imami » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:07 am

pirate wrote:
limlim wrote:They should always ask this question, why should the employer employ them? Are there better/cheaper alternatives? there, the answer to whether he will get employment. Of coz if he can work in his father or grandfather company that is different story.
Father or grandfather company may tell you to start from Office Boy. :wink:
I said similar thing to my son once, that if he were to work in the family's business, he would have to start from the bottom upon graduation. To this, he replied with a fat NO and explained that those office boy experience should have been gained while he is a student working during school holidays in the family's business. Upon graduation, he should start at an appropriate level, based on his quali

:idea: I think he has a point - not necessary to begin at the bottom but certainly not beyond the normal scale simply because he is family. As it is now, he is a familiar face in our small setup and can be trusted to man the till and count the stocks.With appropraite guidance and support, I can imagine how much he can pick up if he is to hang around for more years to come.