Renting a house

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Renting a house

Postby MMM » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:19 pm

Hi,

I know this might be a little off topic and also concerned about being "racist" etc...

But we're trying to rent out our old place for the 1st time and we were warned against tenants of certain nationalities. I am not trying to be racist here but probably as a "landlord", I am hoping to get some good advice/ learnings that others have experienced and hoping to avoid those pitfalls.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Koi » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:52 pm

I guess nationality aside, more important would be to rent to a "professional" tenant, such as someone gainfully employed in Singapore and is able to take care of your home for you. Many of my colleagues are foreign professionals, mostly single male/females professionals working in Singapore and some are families renting whole flat/apartment. So far I seen them taking care of the house and paying rent on time via I-banking. They are very busy with work and are seldom home as well since they are away from their homeland so they rather work and put in more hours there.

So remember to get all documentations like the Work or Employment Pass photocopies and lay down house rules such as the tenants bringing friends home or sub-letting on their own illegally. And I guess all landlords reserves the right to "visit" their place once in a while and see if everything is in order initially until you feel your tenant is trustworthy?

Good Luck!! :D

Koi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Renting a house

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:20 pm

Yes, I agree with Koi. It's not the nationality that's important. It's the job they do. Professional executives are your best bet, eg. in IT, sales and marketing, accounting, etc. We have been fortunate with most of our tenants so far for the HDB flat we sublet.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby MMM » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:41 am

The reason why i am asking is in my ex-co, there was 1 professional in fact from HR who rented an apartment. When she left, we heard that the landlord called everyday to complain as the condition of the house was really really bad. Though we are not trying to be racist here, but unfortunately that was like not the only "horror" stories we heard from a particularly group of people.

But I do agree on having professionals/ family setting so that they are more likely to take care of the house. Also, we are against subletting as people does not have ownership.

Not sure if anyone has experience with this. Last friday, we signed an LOI with a potential tenant where they will start renting our place from this week.

However, when the tenant went back to inform their current landlord that they are moving out, the landlord told them that their current apartment's enbloc sales has been cancelled. So they are now thinking of staying back in their current apartment. Legally, must we refund the deposit they had provided or can we forfeit?

The agent who was involved said it was a good faith deposit and we should return. My relative who is an agent said otherwise and it's normally a forfeit as how can we be sure they cancel because of the enbloc or along that time, they found something else and used enbloc as an excuse? Out of goodwill, we are thinking of refunding but we also want to be aware of our legal rights.

Also, as a result of that, we've started the search again.... Is it true that we should not enter into LOI until the deposit issue has been resolved? Anyone has prior experience in this? We've someone who is very keen on our house and coming for 2nd viewing tonite.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby BlueBells » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:49 pm

How about a refund in part rather than the full amount?

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MMM » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:01 pm

After seeing the LOI that we signed, we need to refund in full. New learning.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Atan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:50 pm

Dear MMM,

I am sorry to hear about the potential tenant that U had. The Letter of Intent is usually quite simple and the one you had sign was obviously in the favor of the tenant. In general, the deposit would be confiscated by landlord if tenant is to change his mind. I have had 4 tenants over 10 yrs and so is quite experienced.

On quality of tenants, I had good experience w European tenant (Holland) who took v good care of my house. My worst experience was with an Indian couple, a Lawyer and a Doctor ( good looking Professionals with one kid, a maid n mother) who only rented my house for a year but turned it into a total disaster.. 1cm dirt on fan, filthy walls, cooker covered with stains that could never be removed, broken furniture, etc.. When we retained part of the deposit due to the damages, the lawyer even issued us a legal letter!! So, it was really stressful. I also have HK tenant who are in general picky and want their $$ worth, but they take adequate care of the house.

Since U r letting out yr place, it is important that you take photos and state down every details before rental, incase of dispute / claimds at the end of lease.

Atan
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MMM » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:17 pm

Hi Atan,

Thanks so much for sharing. I know this can sound abit racist esp on website but I think the intent here is not to be racist but rather identify the particular group that make bad tenants.

Concidentally? I do hear the same thing on indian tenants and it's not just once but many times. In fact when agents call me, they would ask if I am ok for indian tenants. Eg the case on my ex-colleagues and also my aunt who is a housing agent also related to me an incident with her indian tenant who is a professional with a Int'l IT firm (eg. some director level). It was a brand new unit and when he handover after 1 yr as he was posted to HCM, there was a big scratch on the parquet flooring. He acted very hostile and in a rather barbaric manner when they wanted to retain part of the deposit for that & other things. Even pick up a fight with the landlord's brother who was helping on the handover. I've been to India several times for biz and yes, culturally when there is a road accident people would get off their vehicle and do physically fighting other just got to restrain them.... But I think we are not ready to do that.

Last nite, a indian tenant came to have a look at our place and though he offered us, we are like really hesitant as though our house is 8 yrs old, it is tenanted for the 1st time and the agents all grade it as excellent condition and quality furnishing so we are very concerned with the type of tenant we are getting too.

Have you heard anything on filippinos so far? So far I find that culturally, they seem to be nicer. I had a group on sat and they loved the house so much but they can only start in end Sept which is like financially we cannot be worse off by 1 month just for waiting for them.

Yes, the LOI when we read was more subjected to the TA being signed so we had "no rights" to forfeit. This was infact by ERA and somehow I saw the one from DTZ and it seems to favor the landlord more. I take it as a key learning for us when we sign the next LOI such as defining the stipulated dates much earlier. But in any case, we choose to believe that theirs was a genuine case so we also do not want to forfeit their $ either.

Thanks for the tips on the pics part, I will make sure I do that with every possible corner of the house I can think of and probably document that together with the TA?

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Atan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:28 pm

Hi MMM,

U r right that the details of house should be attached to TA, so with this, any potential tenant would take better care of yr hse.

I agree that we are not being racist and we did not hesitate at all in renting our place to the Ind professionals, actually the lawyer is local and Doc is a PR, originally fm Srilanka. Before we handed over the hse, the Doc's parents, who stayed at D10 actually inspected our hse, to make sure that the dwelling was good enough for their daughter... but our judgement was wrong..

We have not heard of Flilipino tenants but they should be home loving people? If you can get Angmoh tenants, they are usually good tenants..

Atan
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MMM » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:40 pm

Unfortunately no..... the 1st guy who viewed our house is a Poland pilot who offered but we didn't accept.

Haha i described this whole thing as like finding the right man. The 1st came along and you weren't sure if he is the right guy (eg. can fetch higher price,etc...) so you let him go and then just wait and wait. So now, we are still here ; )

Anyway, we have a viewing with a local couple tonite. I am hoping we find someone good. I will definitely start to take pics this weekends and get it developed in time for any TA.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time