Weekend job = enrichment classes

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Weekend job = enrichment classes

Postby MMM » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:05 pm

I bet alot of parents are in the same boat as us and this is how our weekend schedule look like :
9-10.30 - Creative writing for P1 girl
1.45 - 3.45 - Chinese for K2 and P1 kids
4.30 - 6 - Maths for P1 girl and during the same time phonics for K2 boy (same location as morning)

Through all fine tuning, we manage to push everything in the same day and for sunday, we only have piano from 6.15 - 7pm. But even then, this means I don't have anytime to spare to bring the 2.5 yrs old for enrichment classes at all. I've told my mum starting from next year, I would put her in enrichment classes (eg. molin, piano,etc...) near her place and she has to help me bring her for those during weekdays. Fortunately, there are alot of good program near her place at parkway and katong area.

As parents, we are soooo happy with school hols and also this sat being a public hols as it's a break for us. Where we are free to do anything and need not rush for classes. Just last week, we were checking if the classes are indeed close for ph this sat. My girl's maths teacher related to me that when she she asked her if she wants to come during national day hols, my girl didn't respond with a immediate "NO" like other kids. She wasn't sure. But I told her that as parents, we welcome the break, despite that we are paying for that session....

I really wonder how other parents are manaing...

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Atan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:09 pm

Hi MMM,

Program for my boy, six is as flws:
Sat
11.30-12.40noon Chinese lesson at Parkway Ctr
3.15 - 4pm swimming lesson

Sun (Fun activities only)
11am-12 noon Judo
5 -7pm Football

During the weekdays, in the kindergarten, he attends the flwg:
Tues , 2.45-3.45 pm English Speech & Drama
Fri, 2.45-3.45 pm Creative Chinese Writing

On Thurs nite, 7.30 - 9 pm CMA

I think we are not so kiasu.. lessons during weekdays in school are basically to keep him occupied and he has a full day (almost) of fun on Sundays!
I have yet to send him for any English phonics or HanYu Pinyin classes yet. Any good recommendations for HanYu Pinyin?

Atan
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MMM » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:18 pm

Hi,

Not too sure about hanyu pinyin. But I swear by Molin (which is beside roxy square) and would send my 2.5 yrs old there when she goes to nursery next year.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MMM » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:20 pm

Sorry, I just realise your son is 6 yo. My son who is also in K2 this year has been attending Molin and they are currently learning hypy now. Both in his pre-school and Molin. Which school is your son going to as I am assuming you are a east person.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Atan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:36 pm

Hi MMM,

I am not a East person :D , actually fm Bt Timah. My son has been attending Epoch Talent Deveopment Ctr in Parkway since 3+ which focused on right brain teaching method for Chinese. He can recognise words and read Chinese text well but the sch does not emphasize on HanYu Pinyin, neither is the kindergarten. Epoch would introduce some HanYu Pinyu later but I am a bit worried whether my kid would be adequately prepared for P1 w/o HanYu Pinyin...esp when he is entering Nanyang, a chinese focused sch. What is yr view on HanYu Pinyin?

Atan
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MMM » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:59 pm

My P1 girl is in MBS and prior to P1, she was able to recognise alot of chinese characters. However, I felt that the hypy focus in molin at that pt wasn't that intensive unlike what they are doing this year. Eg. I see my son learning hypy much earlier.

For 1st semester, alot of focus are on hypy. I recall myself helping her to cope as there was hypy test every week. I remember asking why is the focus on hypy so heavy as I felt character recognition is more important as in our era, we also started with character than hypy. But she eventually pick up and seem to master her hypy and did well for her SA1.

But from 2nd semester onwards, it is more character and writing focus but hypy is still being tested in the weekly test. If you ask me, I think both is equally important.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:57 pm

Our Saturdays are like this.

10-11am Math Enrichment
1-3pm Chinese Enrichment
5-6pm Swimming

My K2 boy told us outright that he wants NO classes on Sunday.
So we reserve that day for outings and visits to the grandparents.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tamarind » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:23 pm

Here's both my kids weekend schedule :

Sat 1:15pm - 3pm Berries Chinese class

My girl is in K1, my boy is in N2. I intend to stop both at K2. Then we will have weekends totally free :D

I am teaching both my boy and girl English at home. Both are able to read very well.

My girl's Berries class is not teaching hanyu pinyin yet. But I am surprised that my girl can understand hanyu pinyin. I realized it is because she has a very strong foundation in English phonics :D Phonics and hanyu pinyin are quite close, except for some differences (c, q, x etc).

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:19 pm

MMM wrote:Hi,

Not too sure about hanyu pinyin. But I swear by Molin (which is beside roxy square) and would send my 2.5 yrs old there when she goes to nursery next year.

Isn't Molin a bit too heavy going for nursery children? Also, I'm not sure if learning hanyu pinyin at an early age really help with the language. It might create dependency such that kids refuse to attempt to read the characters without hanyu pinying. Guess I'm old school.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby MMM » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:45 am

Chief, I dunno why there is a impression that Molin is heavy for pre-school. Like any other pre-school programs, there are alot of singing, rhymes, word games, etc.. eg my son can memorise the rhymes perfectly but he is not so good with character recognition. So it's not just pure characters drilling all the time. The kids also get to perform for the parents and my kids find Molin fun as they get to play those chinese games during lessons. So far the teachers that my kids get are also quite nice so far.

In my k2 case, they only started hypy like just last month. More of a intro at this stage. I think it's not too early given that they have been on characters all these while. I too subscribed to old school of thots where I feel character is indeed more important than hypy. Real solid chinese education is character based.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time