All About Kids' Gaming: Addiction, What Age Is Suitable, etc

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

All About Kids' Gaming: Addiction, What Age Is Suitable, etc

Postby titank » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:53 am

Hi All,

At what age is suitable to get PSP? Any recommended place where can get at good prices & with lots of games to play & update?

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby shurley197323 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:22 pm

My kids got their PSP when they are 6 & 9 years old
The lastest model is PSP GO. Mine is PSP 3006. They often go on Wi-Fi to fight together with their dad. There is two types, either you can get one which can be modified,so that next time. you can just download the games from internet for free. Some PSP cannot be modified so you have to buy original games.You can just go to the shop near your house, almost all the price is standrad.

shurley197323
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: PSP, What Age Is Suitable?

Postby MMM » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:27 pm

titank wrote:Hi All,

At what age is suitable to get PSP? Any recommended place where can get at good prices & with lots of games to play & update?

Think twice before you introduce kids to such games :D Heard on the chinese news that due to addiction to computer games,etc... a child who used to be top in class ended up last.

I attended a talk by someone whose child is in Radin Mas and she made it to GEP this year. He is totally against computer games. I can understand where he is coming from. Even for adult, I am "addicted" to the games don't mention the kids.

We do have wii and psp at home. But I lay very strict rules. Only play during school hols (not weekends but school hols). As a result of that, the kids do not have cravings for it except for playing some games on facebook but it's not an addiction. Eg. it's school hols now and they've not asked to play wii or psp.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby radiantmum » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:44 pm

I will REJECT or PUSH BACK buying to as later as I can possibly resist ... Seen the impact on kids - - mostly bespectacled and you should have seen my nephew on PSP - gosh, so anti-social with THAT PSP on his hand!

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ZacK » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:34 pm

So far have been firm in not letting DS1 play with handheld games... and he has not cravings for it. Usually prefers to watch his DVDs.

But am thinking if I shd get wii for DS1 this christmas... more for wii sports as DS1 is not active at all, he so afraid of hurting himself that he would not do any active stuff... Wondering if it would be a good justification to buy it for him? :?
Last edited by ZacK on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ooptimizer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:44 pm

Yes, I also disallow my kids any PSP - its not good for them!

ooptimizer
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby girlmum » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:56 pm

radiantmum wrote:I will REJECT or PUSH BACK buying to as later as I can possibly resist .

I am using the same method on my DD2 (8yrs). She has been asking it for mths and kept complaining... why always NO NO NO? My DD1 has drifted apart from her cousin. Reason - He is ALWAYS playing on his PSP during gathering. Before PSP, always playing games on his HP but not as bad. Talk to him, no eye-contact coz eyes glued on his PSP. :x :x
Last edited by girlmum on Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

girlmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby KingRascal » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:58 pm

I also disallow any handheld games. MyDS is in p1 this year. Only this year that I allow my DH to get Wii. And I restrict the playing to 2hrs each weekend day, and only games like Wii Sports and Wii Fit. These are healthier games compared to many others, and we play as a family.

Would try to resist the rest of the computer-related games as long as I can...Of course I know the day would come when DS would bargain with me...would tackle it when it comes. Take one step at a time.

KingRascal
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Dad fm East » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:12 pm

I gave my DS a PSP at the end of P4 when he met the objectives we set at the start of his P4 term. We actually bought him a NDS after P2, but only after he agreed to my term, i.e. no gaming during school term, and gaming time during holiday must be regulated. So far he has no problem managing that.

Dad fm East
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mathsparks » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:28 pm

radiantmum wrote:I will REJECT or PUSH BACK buying to as later as I can possibly resist ... Seen the impact on kids - - mostly bespectacled and you should have seen my nephew on PSP - gosh, so anti-social with THAT PSP on his hand!

hi radiantmum,
you sound just like my sis. she's always frowning when she sees mine with his psp. But, the poor fella only gets to play that while waiting for pickup or at family gatherings. i know that's so anti-social but it's so rare that he gets to play during term-time.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time