Anyone from Indonesia ?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Anyone from Indonesia ?

Postby tamarind » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:01 am

I would like to find out, how much does it cost to go to university in Indonesia ?

My maid hopes to send her daughter to university in Yogyakarta. She is worried that she does not have enough money. She did not ask me for help at all. But she has been a very good maid, and I am thinking of helping her as far as I can afford. I am not exactly going to give her a loan or salary advance, I just want to know whether her salary is enough to support her daughter through university.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:02 pm

Govt or Private? Big price difference!

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:21 pm

I'm also doing some research for my maid, found these:
http://www.mmugm.ac.id/index.php?option ... Itemid=154

http://countrystudies.us/indonesia/56.htm wrote:The University of Indonesia, founded in Jakarta in the 1930s, is the nation's oldest university. Other major universities include Gadjah Mada University (Indonesia's oldest postindependence university, founded in 1946) in Yogyakarta; Catholic University and Institut Teknologi Bandung, both in Bandung; and the Institut Pertanian Bogor in Bogor. In the early 1990s, there also were important regional universities in Sulawesi, Sumatera Utara, Jawa Barat, and Irian Jaya.

The Uni's main website: http://www.ugm.ac.id/eng/index.php?page=frontpage

http://www.topuniversities.com/university/218/gadjah-mada-university wrote:Average Domestic Undergraduate Fees $ USD 1,344
Average tuition fees per academic year (two semesters) that a domestic student would be expected to pay for an undergraduate program, with ‘program’ referring to the complete range of courses contributing to a degree.

My maid's boy is going to Nursery in 2010 and she's enrolled him in a private school near her kampung. School fees is S$10 per month, including holidays. For Primary school is S$15 per month and Secondary school onwards is S$25+ per month. When she registered her boy for school, she had to pay around S$200 for 1st term fees, uniform, books and deposit. Cheaper because it's not a private school in the city.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blobbi » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:38 pm

I know you two are not looking for accolades. But wanted to say you're very kind to your maids to look after their welfare like that. It's good to know there are employers in Singapore like yourselves. It must also mean your maids are doing their part.

Cheers!

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:03 pm

Blobbi wrote:I know you two are not looking for accolades. But wanted to say you're very kind to your maids to look after their welfare like that. It's good to know there are employers in Singapore like yourselves. It must also mean your maids are doing their part.

Cheers!

Well, her main purpose of coming to work is to give a better life to her son. So if she does her job well, I'll do my part to make sure that her hard work is worthwhile :)

We've ever considered bringing her son to SG to study. Still in discussion with my parents about this cos my mum may offer her hb a job in SG in her company so their whole family can stay here together (my parents think it's unhealthy for her to work here while her family is so far away).

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:02 pm

mrswongtuition,
My maid hopes that her daughter can get into government university, but I heard it is difficult to get in.

Thanks for that link. That is a private university right ? So it is between 8 to 13 million IDR a year. I am paying her $500 a month now, should not be difficult for her to save that amount of money :wink:

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:05 pm

Blobbi wrote:I know you two are not looking for accolades. But wanted to say you're very kind to your maids to look after their welfare like that. It's good to know there are employers in Singapore like yourselves. It must also mean your maids are doing their part.

Cheers!

Maids who work hard deserve to be rewarded. I used to have a retirement plan for one of my ex-maid, but she turned bad after 2 years and I sent her away.

My current maid has worked for almost 4 years, and she has helped me tremendously. She has been worrying about her daughter's education, so I want to see what I can do to help. As employers, we also have to be careful about the maid's emotional needs.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blobbi » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:21 pm

I know what you guys mean. There has to be be justice as in, if they're good, then we really ought to do our best to take care of them.

We have a similar relationship with my current maid. She really tries her best, I can see, and she takes care of my son very well. So we take care of her in kind. It's not easy (in our experience) to find conscientious helpers, so we treasure her all the more.

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:46 am

Blobbi wrote:I know what you guys mean. There has to be be justice as in, if they're good, then we really ought to do our best to take care of them.

We have a similar relationship with my current maid. She really tries her best, I can see, and she takes care of my son very well. So we take care of her in kind. It's not easy (in our experience) to find conscientious helpers, so we treasure her all the more.

It is so difficult to find a good maid nowadays, so we should really treasure her if we found one.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time