Selling homemade food in school

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Selling homemade food in school

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:54 am

I just heard from my daughter that her school does not permit homemade food to be sold in school for fundraising. The students have to buy food items from a shop/caterer then resell them. Is this the practice in Singapore now? It used to be good a way to raise funds for projects, charities etc. and is still widely practised in other countries. But if they have to buy ready-made items to resell, the funds raised will be less. I know there are food safety and hygiene concerns, but surely they can just put a disclaimer? My daughter and her group of friends had been planning to bake and sell cookies to raise funds for a project, but now they have to rethink. Anyone know stores/caterers who would be willing to give students a good price for food or other small saleable items? What other ways do students (secondary age) use to raise funds for their projects?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Selling homemade food in school

Postby Funz » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:07 am

They can put disclaimers but the line of accountability will still be blurry if things should happen.

This can be a good opportunity for your girl & her friends to pitch to suppliers to get their buy in for charity events.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jetsetter » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:42 am

what is your DD's project all about?

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:47 am

NJC does not allow sale of homemade food too.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:48 am

What about selling ice-cream in cones bought from supermarkets?

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sarahtan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:49 am

I think it's not quite fair to ask parents to buy from
Outside and then resell it. As you said, you will end up paying more and selling at around the same price you bought. (From school perspective they probably get more as packaging surely will look nicer) but if it's school policy, I guess not much choice already.

Sarahtan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jetsetter » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:11 pm

it's an AVA/NEA policy for food caterers...Besides, if there are Muslims in your sch, you need the food to be Halal-certified.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:59 pm

jetsetter wrote:what is your DD's project all about?

It's not for charity this time. She and her group are making a short film as their research studies project (something about teens using gadgets too much, I believe). The renting of equipment, paying/feeding actors etc costs money, and I told her I would like them to earn at least some of the money rather than ask parents for a full handout. Not sure what the other parents' stand is! I have already paid for the trainer (shared between all the others, of course) that the school arranged for them.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:01 pm

jetsetter wrote:it's an AVA/NEA policy for food caterers...Besides, if there are Muslims in your sch, you need the food to be Halal-certified.

Oh well, if it's AVA/NEA policy, then I guess there's nothing we can do. I was thinking that the disclaimer could say that the food was homemade and not halal - buyer beware!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:42 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
jetsetter wrote:what is your DD's project all about?

It's not for charity this time. She and her group are making a short film as their research studies project (something about teens using gadgets too much, I believe). The renting of equipment, paying/feeding actors etc costs money, and I told her I would like them to earn at least some of the money rather than ask parents for a full handout. Not sure what the other parents' stand is! I have already paid for the trainer (shared between all the others, of course) that the school arranged for them.

oic...I thought it's a sch-wide food carnival:) If it's just her group's fundraising effort for a one-off project, not sure if it'd be easy to get the buy-in of social enterprises in the f&b sector. Also, some social enterprises might want their corporate brand and values to be promoted to buyers at point of sale.

alternatively, they could sell recycled handicrafts.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time