Westgate Glass Door fell on 4 year old boy

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Westgate Glass Door fell on 4 year old boy

Postby dolphinsiah » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:57 am

So Scarely :scared:

If it was my child I would be screaming mad!

dolphinsiah
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Westgate Glass Door fell on 4 year old boy

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:10 pm

I thought the subject should be 4 year old demolished glass door!! :duck:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:15 pm

It's a good thing the door was made of tempered glass. The boy was fooling around with the door but it really shouldn't have fallen off its hinges like that.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tutormum » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:16 pm

Fortunately it didn't shatter. Notice that he was playing with it with his sibling before the accident and his parents didn't stop them.

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dolphinsiah » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Nebbermind wrote:I thought the subject should be 4 year old demolished glass door!! :duck:

This mall and all the shops are so brand new. For the Door to be so easily malfunction is totally UNACCEPTABLE. :mad:

The relevant Authority must tighten rules on renovation/maintenance for essential facilities .

dolphinsiah
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:23 pm

The child only pushed the door twice, and even though he pushed it further than it was intended to go, it should not have collapsed so easily.

I think such large glass panels are just too heavy for regular use. Why not have lighter doors?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:28 pm

jtoh wrote:It's a good thing the door was made of tempered glass. The boy was fooling around with the door but it really shouldn't have fallen off its hinges like that.

I think what happened was that the boy swing the door to the max. When that happens, the glass at the hinge will be under a lot of stress. (Imagine the old way of opening bottle caps using 'lever' method). The boy applied the force on the longer end of the lever....the moment (force) is very great...glass shattered, and being tempered glass, the whole piece will go.

When that happened, the glass couldn't its shape and so it came lose from its top and bottom pivots.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:45 pm

those 2 moms must be busy chitchatting near the glass doors while the 2 boys were playing. small toddler was so hyperactive...kept pushing the tall glass door with his brute force and mom didn't bother to stop him.

capitaland mall is also at fault. was told by insiders that they rushed like mad to open westgate before christmas last year. not sure if they checked the hinges.

just last week, Kallang Wave mall at Sport Hub (also a prolonged to rushed job?) also has a cracked glass ceiling above the rock climbing wall at the main podium.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:01 pm

jetsetter wrote:those 2 moms must be busy chitchatting near the glass doors while the 2 boys were playing. small toddler was so hyperactive...kept pushing the tall glass door with his brute force and mom didn't bother to stop him.

capitaland mall is also at fault. was told by insiders that they rushed like mad to open westgate before christmas last year. not sure if they checked the hinges.

just last week, Kallang Wave mall at Sport Hub (also a prolonged to rushed job?) also has a cracked glass ceiling above the rock climbing wall at the main podium.

I have heard of other problems with glass in new buildings. Maybe there needs to be a limit the size and weight of the glass used in building? Especially in doors which have to swing back and forth so much.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:09 pm

There is sth abt doors that children like to push or pull down with their body weight.

For a door to fall off its hinges, it is likely it has been abused over a long period of time.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time