How was Christmas for everyone?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

How was Christmas for everyone?

Postby optimistforum » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:25 pm

Hi

I hope you all had a great festive break. Forgive my ignorance, as I do not know how Christmas is celebrated in Singapore (do you have public holidays?). We were lucky that it snowed for about 3 days before Chrsitmas, and the kids loved it. I am still suffering with an ear-infection, virus and sore throat. I am now recuperating in bed, when in fact, I just want to be having fun with my wife/children at this special time of year. :(

I gave the kids their Wii console, and a few games - I can't play the Wii no matter how hard i try; guess it means I'm just too old!!! :oops:

Here in the UK, we end up spending Christmas with those relatives (in-laws in my case) we had spent the previous 12 months avoiding. Enmities and tensions that have festered under the surface come out in the open on Christmas Day. :x Still, I can console myself that it's now the longest period till next Christmas Day.

Please let me know how your festive season has been, too? Periodically, between naps, I will come online.
optimistforum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mintcc » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:54 pm

hi optimistforum, yes we have Christmas Holidays here! The streets is full of Christmas lights and you get many companies pushing their christmas wares.

Family wise, I would think it varies for each family. The only time I need to spent with in-laws over Christmas is on Christmas eve.

Christmas day it self is rather uneventful with us unwrapping all the presents we got and doing routine stuff like going out for lunch and dinner.

Rest well and good luck to tide over the holidays.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby EN » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:16 pm

Hello optimistforum

You are so lucky to enjoy snowy white Christmas. It has been raining here for days. The streets in town (Orchard Road) is full of beautiful street lights. Maybe someone in this forum might have taken a snap shot and post it here for you to see.

Majority of the offices in Singapore close a few hours earlier on the eve of Christmas. Some families prepare their food at home, some because of mix background ended up with variety of different dishes to celebrate like my Eurasians friends with their fusion Asian Portuguese fare. My neighbour, mix Indian and Chinese has Bryani and Christmas log cake.

I tried booking for Christmas lunch/dinner buffet in hotels, they are all fully book as early as beginning December. I'm not a Christian but I took the opportunity to feast on the glorious food that Singapore has. I ordered mine too late so this year, I missed out the sheperd's pie and stollen. I opt for chicken instead of turkey cause I don't like the taste. Here was what we had yesterday.

Take care and hope you recover soon.

[/img]

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby optimistforum » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:44 pm

We had vegetarian food (I am a meat-eater), as my wife, kids and in-laws are all veggies. It was good fayre, too!

I had chicken last weekend; like you EN, I loathe the taste of turkey, preferring chicken instead.

In the near future, I intend to visit Singapore and sample its culture, people and food. 8); I may choose the summer or Xmas period.

Update on health: I have an ear-infection, swollen lymph glands due to my ear-infection, and I am suffering from a virus. I am pretty sure it was the little girl (accompanied by her mum) coughing, when she was seated in the same row of seats as kids and me, when we went to the cinema on Wednesday - she coughed in my direction (I swapped places with my son, so he would not catch anything). Some parents here are inconsiderate and feral!!!! :x

Today, I shall be watching a few films and tv-comedies that I recorded on Xmas Day.

Till my next posting, have a nice Saturday :wink:
optimistforum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Recess Time