What to buy for 6yo girls

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

What to buy for 6yo girls

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:01 am

My turn to ask about birthday presents! My nieces just turned 6yo (I'm late!) and I don't know what to get as they have too much of everything already! They have too many clothes and toys, and I've been told that they aren't interested in books or crafts. They start school next year, but they already have lots of stationery, bags and stuff. I really don't know what to get. Maybe I should persevere with books? I am the family librarian and book promoter!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: What to buy for 6yo girls

Postby sleepy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:06 am

puzzles 60 to 100 pieces depending on your niece's proficiency

For books, perhaps riddles or self help books such as 'the girls book' It is a box set of 3 books.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:09 am

Slmkhoo,

I was about to suggest buying rainbow loom for them. It's so "in" now that every little girl I see has a big box of it and creates wonderful pieces. Do they draw? If yes, good quality crayons and/or acrylic paints would be nice.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:37 am

sleepy wrote:puzzles 60 to 100 pieces depending on your niece's proficiency

For books, perhaps riddles or self help books such as 'the girls book' It is a box set of 3 books.

My mother said they have no staying power, so maybe jigsaws may not be welcome. And they apparently don't like books! (My mother is the super-indulgent kind of grandma and hates to make them do anything they don't want to, which probably explains why they don't stick to anything. But I'm only an aunt, so I'm not allowed to say anything.) Will keep the books in mind though!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby absolutwild » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:39 am

anything from the movie frozen... i know my girl's K2 friends all love it!

absolutwild
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:43 am

Imami wrote:Slmkhoo,

I was about to suggest buying rainbow loom for them. It's so "in" now that every little girl I see has a big box of it and creates wonderful pieces. Do they draw? If yes, good quality crayons and/or acrylic paints would be nice.

My mum said they don't like crafts and they have too much drawing stuff (which they don't use). Thanks, anyway.

Actually, I feel like giving them a box of recyclable materials and see what they can do with them. They have so many 'proper' toys and all kinds of 'good' stuff already. But my mum will kill me for giving them 'rubbish' (even though my girls loved old boxes and odds and ends and could play with them for hours at that age).

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:58 am

Are they sporty since they are not into crafts?

How about these? For twins? They can share the equipment.

But please get all the protective guard like helmet, elbow and knee guards if they do not already have and these can be individual sets and they take turns to play.

or bicycle with 2 training wheels behind which is removable to 3 wheels to learn cycling step by step

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:06 am

Another idea is to get them play vouchers (you can look out for deals at groupon or deals.com) for indoor playground like

Amazonia (most challenging)

or Polliwogs: (medium challenging)

or Gogo Bambini: (least challenging)

You can choose the venue according to the level of adventure and sportiness.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 12mum » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:11 am

A collection of "喜羊羊与灰太狼” or "Grizzly Tales for Gruesome Kids (or Grizzly Tales) " DVD.

My children love watching the latter very much. Some might find it a bit scary though.

http://zh.m.wikipedia.org/zh-sg/喜羊羊與灰太狼

12mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Porky Pig » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:15 am

My Dd just turned 5 years old two days ago. She is crazy over anything with Frozen theme. So what i did was to sponsor her for a photo shoot complete with Frozen theme. She gets to dress up as Elsa and Anna and act out her fantasy. She gets to keep the photos at the end of the day. She enjoys the session very much.

Porky Pig
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time