Re: Crisis Around the World -War/Health/Weather/Economy/Society

Post by phtthp » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:21 pm

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:158

Post by Nebbermind » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:56 pm

Without any extradicion law in place, the PRC can kill someone and then run back to mainland and nobody can do anything about it.

*Just thinking out loud*

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:173

Post by pirate » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:17 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:56 pm
Without any extradicion law in place, the PRC can kill someone and then run back to mainland and nobody can do anything about it.

*Just thinking out loud*
Cannot. Because China, being the Mr Nice Nice, actually unilaterally sends the fellow back to Hong Kong for trial without an extradition agreement with Hong Kong. But now... maybe China might just decide to do it by the book - no agreement, no sending to Hong Kong. Then those people in Hong Kong will know...

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:40

Post by MrsKiasu » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:40 pm

I wonder why the 'normal' people so worry of this extradition thingy..I looked the wikipedia..mentioned on " undermining the principle of "one country, two systems" and that it would take away their rights".. why leh? there should be many countries have that kind of agreement I suppose and now China wants to have also? or HK to date don't have a single extradition law with any other countries ?

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:51

Post by Estéema » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:40 pm

Think this time, HongKingers hv reacted fr pent up fears & anxieties. It’s been many many years alr. When doing my masters in Australia, my HK frds were alr showing a lot of baggage fr their parents’ communism nightmares.

One told us his uncles & aunties all pool funds to send him overseas studies so that when he graduated & get his PR, he was suppose to help them all migrate before 1997 takeover. That’s how much fear, phobia & distrust fr what I heard his mum has to knee on broken glasses when punished by communist.

There’s alr a history of HKgers ‘running’/ emigrating to Canada, Australia, England and elsewhere. They can’t and don’t want anything to do with China tho they may be getting stronger & edging to be next biggest economic power.

EstherP
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by EstherP » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:58 am

Since ... 1997, China has developed massive economic and business interests in the territory. The Chinese leadership realises that for the sake of its own prosperity, China still needs a capitalist Hong Kong.
Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/bu ... --11810548

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Nebbermind » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:13 am

Estéema wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:40 pm
Think this time, HongKingers hv reacted fr pent up fears & anxieties. It’s been many many years alr. When doing my masters in Australia, my HK frds were alr showing a lot of baggage fr their parents’ communism nightmares.

One told us his uncles & aunties all pool funds to send him overseas studies so that when he graduated & get his PR, he was suppose to help them all migrate before 1997 takeover. That’s how much fear, phobia & distrust fr what I heard his mum has to knee on broken glasses when punished by communist.

There’s alr a history of HKgers ‘running’/ emigrating to Canada, Australia, England and elsewhere. They can’t and don’t want anything to do with China tho they may be getting stronger & edging to be next biggest economic power.
When was that?
There has been so much changes for China over the last 20 yrs. They have so much freedom...eg, coming to SG to work and taking up free scholarships from MOE.
I've seen some of the arguement put forth by the 'youths' in HK...like really shallow. Donch know who has been brainwashing them

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by .zeit » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:14 am

Who else? You've seen the photos taken on many websites.

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by .zeit » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:34 am

MrsKiasu wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:40 pm
I wonder why the 'normal' people so worry of this extradition thingy..I looked the wikipedia..mentioned on " undermining the principle of "one country, two systems" and that it would take away their rights".. why leh? there should be many countries have that kind of agreement I suppose and now China wants to have also? or HK to date don't have a single extradition law with any other countries ?
For the not-normal people, because HK is an 'esp*onage haven'. For the normal people, they have been under-informed or misled. Blame it on the usual elected democrats & student activists, and partly blame the poor public communications and poor timing on the part of HK govt in rolling out this bill in a haste.

Only applicable to 37 crimes (murder, money laundering, drug-trafficking, etc.) punishable by 7 or more years jail sentence; otherwise others not covered under the proposed law. And if CE okays it, an arrest will be made, followed by court reviewing the case. No extradition for those with political reasons and/or without sufficient evidence, but as sceptics have been whispering--you never know... Appeals allowed btw in the process.

HK has extradition agreement with 20 countries, including SG, UK, US and many Commonwealth countries.
pirate wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:17 pm
Nebbermind wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:56 pm

*Just thinking out loud*
Cannot. Because China, being the Mr Nice Nice, actually unilaterally sends the fellow back to Hong Kong for trial without an extradition agreement with Hong Kong. But now... maybe China might just decide to do it by the book - no agreement, no sending to Hong Kong. Then those people in Hong Kong will know...

That is correct pirate. Since 97, over 250 suspects have been sent to HK by Motherland.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Nebbermind » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:00 pm

the haste is coz the alleged murderer will be released as early as October
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/15/worl ... ition.html.
But the govt was somehow, IMHO, rather naive and underestimated the reaction, and the opportunity for the Opposition & Anti-communist to stir sh!t.