KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:40

Re: Crisis Around the World -War/Health/Weather/Economy/Society

Post by MrsKiasu » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:16 pm

.zeit wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:34 am
MrsKiasu wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:40 pm
I wonder why the 'normal' people so worry of this extradition thingy..I looked the wikipedia..mentioned on " undermining the principle of "one country, two systems" and that it would take away their rights".. why leh? there should be many countries have that kind of agreement I suppose and now China wants to have also? or HK to date don't have a single extradition law with any other countries ?
For the not-normal people, because HK is an 'esp*onage haven'. For the normal people, they have been under-informed or misled. Blame it on the usual elected democrats & student activists, and partly blame the poor public communications and poor timing on the part of HK govt in rolling out this bill in a haste.

Only applicable to 37 crimes (murder, money laundering, drug-trafficking, etc.) punishable by 7 or more years jail sentence; otherwise others not covered under the proposed law. And if CE okays it, an arrest will be made, followed by court reviewing the case. No extradition for those with political reasons and/or without sufficient evidence, but as sceptics have been whispering--you never know... Appeals allowed btw in the process.

HK has extradition agreement with 20 countries, including SG, UK, US and many Commonwealth countries.
pirate wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:17 pm
Nebbermind wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:56 pm
Without any extradicion law in place, the PRC can kill someone and then run back to mainland and nobody can do anything about it.

*Just thinking out loud*
Cannot. Because China, being the Mr Nice Nice, actually unilaterally sends the fellow back to Hong Kong for trial without an extradition agreement with Hong Kong. But now... maybe China might just decide to do it by the book - no agreement, no sending to Hong Kong. Then those people in Hong Kong will know...

That is correct pirate. Since 97, over 250 suspects have been sent to HK by Motherland.
yalor, see so many people to me looks like normal ppl...like as though cheat 10mins in parking fear extradition like that :razz: or there are much worries that we(I) dont know..see from pics some bringing small kids along :sweat:

Em
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Em » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:29 pm

Hubby was in HK yesterday. Lots of people wearing black tees at Central station in the evening presumably heading towards Victoria Park. Today he still managed to enjoy some dim sum and some australia dairy company makan. ADC still crowded. Life seems back to normal. Wouldn’t have known there had been so many demonstrations if it weren’t for the news and online livestreams. Perhaps protestors tired out from yesterday? Relatives there also haven’t called us in Sg for help on any issue. So surreal.

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by .zeit » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:43 am

There're actually timetables of approved permits and venues circulating on WA/Telegram/FB/Twitter. I was sent a timetable as advance as 1-2 weeks before the rallies occurred. Rallies usually start on Fri thru Sun, except for industrial strikes which could happen from Mon-Thurs. Local commuters, tourists and business travellers should know which areas to avoid. So far, our next of kin and friends living there said they weren't affected by the protests. I've met up with 4 separate HK families who were back here for short summer hols. All of them said their areas were ok. My relatives from the 'triad' region shrugged off the crazy fights when they visited us in July.

One of my SG friends told us his 2 teenage children (HK PRs now) have been brainwashed by the radicals and gone against his wishes to join in the weekly protests. I now suspect school teachers have something to do with that. Glad that MOE has suspended the exchange programs of our 3 unis.
https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/n ... -hong-kong

Given that school teachers, parents and civil servants have 'fallen' on the side of the pro-suffrage camp, I think HK is a goner. This generation of youth (15-35) and their offspring will grow up to protest until 2047. National education reforms by the HK govt have not been successful.

I suppose China can remove the gangrene anytime, as she has already learnt the capitalist ropes over the last 22-40 years from HK. China will instead give the 'experiment zone', Shenzhen, a bigger boost and transform her into the new Pearl River Delta ICT-Financial Hub to replace HK. We can already tell that from the recent propaganda videos.
Last edited by .zeit on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:40

Post by MrsKiasu » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:45 am

:nailbite:

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:164

Post by floppy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:16 pm

.zeit wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:43 am
I suppose China can remove the gangrene anytime, as she has already learnt the capitalist ropes over the last 22-40 years from HK. China will instead give the 'experiment zone', Shenzhen, a bigger boost and transform her into the new Pearl River Delta ICT-Financial Hub to replace HK. We can already tell that from the recent propaganda videos.
Beijing unveils detailed reform plan to make Shenzhen model city for China and the world

"When the document was first mooted in late July, analysts told the South China Morning Post that its goals signalled Shenzhen’s rising status in the Greater Bay Area and pointed to a policy shift in Beijing away from Hong Kong and towards mainland cities to drive the region’s development."

I think the long term plans for the Pearl Delta region are quite obvious. Why perform the balancing art of managing HK historical baggage and future development, when you can steer the direction of a rival city with less headache?

Regardless of what the youth of HK think, the former colony will never become independent of China. It may be a nice dream and future to believe in but they won't succeed in overthrowing the government and change the fundamentals governing HK. If they are not thinking about how to better work with China, HK will just fade further into oblivion.

For now, it will be just a matter of time before this round of protests blow over. Fatigue is beginning to set in, and China plus everyone else in HK (local government, businesses, etc) are just waiting it out. When all this is over, I believe we will see Hong Kong moving closer to China rather than further apart.

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by .zeit » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:21 pm

floppy wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:16 pm
.zeit wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:43 am
Beijing unveils detailed reform plan to make Shenzhen model city for China and the world

"When the document was first mooted in late July, analysts told the South China Morning Post that its goals signalled Shenzhen’s rising status in the Greater Bay Area and pointed to a policy shift in Beijing away from Hong Kong and towards mainland cities to drive the region’s development"
Actually, the 19.8 report 《关于支持深圳建设中国特色社会主义先行示范区的意见》came from one meeting in Jan 2018: 深圳市委六届九次全会讨论了《深圳经济特区率先建设社会主义现代化先行区规划纲要(2018-2035年)(讨论稿)》,并明确了深圳率先建设社会主义现代化先行区的目标任务,当时使用的一个关键词是“先行区”。从“先行区”到“先行示范区”,深圳的使命正不断深化。
Then, you might remember in 18.2 this year, after Shenzhen's 2018 GDP outperformed HK's for the very first time in 40 years, their 中共中央 and 国务院 released the blueprint《粤港澳大湾区发展规划纲要》.
The vision of the GBA was long mooted way back in 2009 when they started constructing 港澳大桥. I remember watching TVB news and the officials were already talking about it. Then, it was incorporated into Xi's OROR. Before that throughout the 2000s, they would placate and allay HK's fears by selling this slogan "前店后场" as HK SAR enjoys privileges under the 92 HK-US Policy Act which affords her a special status diff from mainland on trade-related matters.

The latest report seeks to address the immediate chronic housing and job issues that blew up again recently (again because it already blew up during Occupy Central and Umbrella Movement 4-5 years ago; our visionary PM Lee already told local Chi media in 2015 the HK govt needed to address this housing issue) . Hopefully, with HKgers and Macanese being granted residential status in Shenzhen, their angry youths can now afford cheaper, better and faster roofs over their heads, and also graduates from the top 3 HK unis can seek abundant job opportunities in Shenzhen which is only a 10min drive across the border.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/politics/2019- ... 131474.htm

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:179

Post by phtthp » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:47 pm

If HK youth go over to Shenzhen to work, will there be discrimination, their pay lower than the same or similar kind of job in HK ?

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:10

Post by Coolkidsrock2 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:56 pm