lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:152

Re: Crisis Around the World -War/Health/Weather/Economy/Society

Post by lee_yl » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:29 pm

MyPillow wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:40 pm
ah yo... wonder when the whole thing will end,.... heading to "no positive outcome/dead road" - such a pity to see HK in this state!
Hk economy is greatly affected, lots of big banks there - hsbc, std chart, our dbs, ocbc ...

will HSBC be greatly affected , HK owned or British owned - ? ah ya, move to spore la - let us benefit if HK protesters continue ....
we dun mind seeing hsbc , Std chart setting Main Asia HQs here right :) ?!
Good. Then investors will come over to Singapore or Taiwan.

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:15

Post by FantasyLandDreams » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:01 pm

Not sure about hsbc but I understand from some friends that Stan chart is using Poland as the ‘hub’ now and there were major movements of personnel and operations from Singapore to Poland last year. Some friends were offered ‘transfer of departments’ or ‘else’... :sad:

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:14

Post by Coolkidsrock2 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:44 pm

HSBC nearly at 52 weeks low. SCB also nearing that.

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:42

Post by MyPillow » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:27 pm

Coolkidsrock2 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:44 pm
Can buy the stock , one of the best timing I guess .but must B able to hold till shoot back original high ?
Will go up after the incident
These world banks should have back up plans to shift operations , but may take a little while to nurse the negative damage fr Hk issues
Few months ago I just read HSbc was doing v well Last quarter n expanding in SE Asia -
Hope Spore be the center of business then
Spore hsbc n Std chart biz should not be impacted much ?

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:14

Post by Coolkidsrock2 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:51 am

MyPillow wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:27 pm
Coolkidsrock2 wrote:
Can buy the stock , one of the best timing I guess .but must B able to hold till shoot back original high ?
These world banks should have back up plans to shift operations , but may take a little while to nurse the negative damage fr Hk issues
Few months ago I just read HSbc was doing v well Last quarter n expanding in SE Asia -
Here you go.

https://www.scmp.com/business/investor- ... unced-back

.zeit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:19

Post by .zeit » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:10 am

floppy wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:17 pm
That won't happen for many reasons. So, no need indulge in fear mongering.

Firstly, the very, very rich businessmen can start buying up and snapping property in Singapore IF they want to, with or without the extradition law (and many actually do). While the law could possibly affect them, the business elites are by and large pro-Beijing, and work closely with Beijing. If they want to run-road, they would have done so a long time ago.
Moving to SG - short-term only for the not that ultra-rich. Maybe some of the S$10-20millionaires will stay put. For the semi-rich, S$20mil-1billion, probably more compelled, as some of them had reportedly already moved some eggs over. But MAS has earlier issued an advisory to all pte bankers not to capitalise on HK's misfortunes (a wise geopolitical move by SG), and Shan has said pretty diplomatic things about HK and China. SG will take a relatively passive position.

Existing investors and businesses with close ties with China can stay put and eventually consider Qianhai FTZ as there'll be greater synergy between the SZE financial district and HK+Macau to be implemented in 3 phases till 2050. Besides the internationalisation of RMB in SZE, PRC push forward reform of the registration system in the ChiNext board, digital currency research + mobile payments. More financial products will be rolled out too.
Apart from real criminals, the main groups of people fearful of this law are the activists, pro-democracy leaders, etc. So, very little surprise that they are also the main organisers of the current unrest.

Secondly, the business elites are also an important force in the political power in HK. They made up nearly 25% of the Election Committee that select the chief executive, the very person trying to pass the bill :shock: While I don't think they would be very happy with her proposing the bill, I don't think the bill affects them that much in reality. And on legislation, the LegCo (i.e. parliament) of HK have half of its members (35 out of 70) indirectly elected through trade-based functional constituencies, i.e. representatives of various businesses in the community (the current score among this group: 24 pro-Beijing, 10 pro-democracy, 1 independent). Therefore, they are quite a powerful bloc and are able to shape / block legislation that they don't like or could adversely affect the businesses (and their owners).
Don't think phtthp was asking about the criminals' and pan-democrats' fear of the extradition law. Nor was she talking about Legco's composition or allegiance toward Beijing. She was asking about the profits SG stand to make arising from HK's chaos.

.zeit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by .zeit » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:18 am

lee_yl wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:29 pm
MyPillow wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:40 pm
ah yo... wonder when the whole thing will end,.... heading to "no positive outcome/dead road" - such a pity to see HK in this state!
Hk economy is greatly affected, lots of big banks there - hsbc, std chart, our dbs, ocbc ...

will HSBC be greatly affected , HK owned or British owned - ? ah ya, move to spore la - let us benefit if HK protesters continue ....
we dun mind seeing hsbc , Std chart setting Main Asia HQs here right :) ?!
Good. Then investors will come over to Singapore or Taiwan.
Taiwan? That would be from frying pan to the fire. With the escalating chaos in HK, pro-indie Tsai Ing-wen is likely to win the upcoming Presidential elections in Jan 2020 (provided no more 3rd candidate). Xi isn't going to drag on for 4 more years.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:106

Post by Estéema » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:21 am

I’m not keen in profiting fr HK’s misfortunes to get richer. If I do meet any of HKger flee fr her country thereafter, it’ll be guilt trip. Just hope China will offer an olive leaf & HKgers will calm. Praying for peace.

.zeit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by .zeit » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:54 am

Coolkidsrock2 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:51 am
MyPillow wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:27 pm
Coolkidsrock2 wrote:
Here you go.

https://www.scmp.com/business/investor- ... unced-back
A bank which is called HShanghaiBC should expand its Shanghai ops, if HK is still not tamed by 1 Oct.

We should be MORE worried about our 0 - 1 % gdp growth forecast first. HK's 0.6% for Q2. Will get worse after the 2 giants pressed on over the last 3 days.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/26/us-chin ... ekend.html

No wonder must build the $100bil polders and dykes to give construction sector some jobs to boost gdp.

Vince19
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Vince19 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:48 pm

"Reforest Europe," Says Brazil As It Rejects G7 Aid To Fight Amazon Fires
https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/refores ... es-2090901