Bukit Timah

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Bukit Timah

Postby Jennifer » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:58 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bukit_Timah

Extracted from the above link:

After the Japanese occupation, the farms and plantations in Bukit Timah gave way to industrial buildings and high-rise flats. In the 1960s and 1970s, Bukit Timah was a major industrial centre. Today, these have been replaced with luxury bungalows, terraces and condominiums, making Bukit Timah Singapore's premier residential district.

Anyone knows how did Bukit Timah industrial centre become a premier residential district?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Bukit Timah

Postby Jennifer » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:05 pm

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:15 pm

Interesting article from page 34 on the local schools in Bukit Timah district

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:37 pm

Another interesting article on urban planning in Singapore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_planning_in_Singapore#History

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:16 pm

Jennifer wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bukit_Timah

Extracted from the above link:

After the Japanese occupation, the farms and plantations in Bukit Timah gave way to industrial buildings and high-rise flats. In the 1960s and 1970s, Bukit Timah was a major industrial centre. Today, these have been replaced with luxury bungalows, terraces and condominiums, making Bukit Timah Singapore's premier residential district.

Anyone knows how did Bukit Timah industrial centre become a premier residential district?

I can't answer the 'how', but I watched it happen as I lived in BT almost all my life, from 1966 at the '6th mile' area, then a year at Eng Neo in 1971, then at Upp BT from 1972 till I got married. Then I moved to Bkt Panjang - just up the road! I remember the old factory where BT Plaza is now, the original Beauty World and the old wet market, the pasar malam at '7th mile', the Lam Soon, Yeo Hiap Seng etc factories in the area and up past Hillview towards Woodlands, the kampong at Old Jurong Rd which caught fire one CNY because of illegal fireworks, another old kampong along 6th avenue where one of my classmates lived... I've been caught in more 'races' jams than I care to remember, and how happy we were when the PIE gave us an alternative route! And the floods at the Adam Rd junction and the regular canal-widening efforts as well. Before it got posh, people used to say we lived in the jungle!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby seaglass » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:44 pm

slmkhoo wrote:I can't answer the 'how', but I watched it happen as I lived in BT almost all my life, from 1966 at the '6th mile' area, then a year at Eng Neo in 1971, then at Upp BT from 1972 till I got married. Then I moved to Bkt Panjang - just up the road! I remember the old factory where BT Plaza is now, the original Beauty World and the old wet market, the pasar malam at '7th mile', the Lam Soon, Yeo Hiap Seng etc factories in the area and up past Hillview towards Woodlands, the kampong at Old Jurong Rd which caught fire one CNY because of illegal fireworks, another old kampong along 6th avenue where one of my classmates lived... I've been caught in more 'races' jams than I care to remember, and floods as well. Before it got posh, people used to say we lived in the jungle!

Hi Slmkhoo, can I ask if you remember somewhere along a curve on Upper Bukit Timah Road (towards Woodlands) where there was a huge soft-drink bottle standing in an open field on the right? (I think it was erected by a soft drink factory??) We used to pass by that place in the 1970's to go to our relatives' house, and it's a kind of "memory landmark" for me, but now I can't remember / figure out where it was standing - the place has changed so much.

My vague impression is that it was probably somewhere near the old Bukit Timah Fire Station? There were a few landmarks that I always looked out for on our car trips - like the Fire station & St Joseph's church. I'm glad these 2 are still around! (:

TIA!!

seaglass
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:54 pm

seaglass wrote:Hi Slmkhoo, can I ask if you remember somewhere along a curve on Upper Bukit Timah Road (towards Woodlands) where there was a huge soft-drink bottle standing in an open field on the right? (I think it was erected by a soft drink factory??) We used to pass by that place in the 1970's to go to our relatives' house, and it's a kind of "memory landmark" for me, but now I can't remember / figure out where it was standing - the place has changed so much.

My vague impression is that it was probably somewhere near the old Bukit Timah Fire Station? There were a few landmarks that I always looked out for on our car trips - like the Fire station & St Joseph's church. I'm glad these 2 are still around! (:

TIA!!

No, I don't remember that, but it's a bit north of my usual route. I used to turn off at Jurong Kechil and didn't go up to the fire station area that often. There was the Yeo Hiap Seng bottling/canning factory but that was near where BT Plaza is now, and I don't remember a drinks bottle! Can you remember what brand the drink was? Was it a YHS brand?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby seaglass » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:03 pm

Oops.. can't remember the brand very clearly.. :sweat:
I don't think it's YHS.. more like Kickapoo, or Greenspot... :scratchhead:

I guess it's nearer to the far end of Upper Bukit Timah - that's out of your "range"? hehe.. Because I also remember that our car sometimes stopped for the train to cross the road - somewhere near Bukit Panjang / Choa Chu Kang Road..

Thanks lots anyway.. (:

seaglass
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:13 pm

seaglass wrote:Oops.. can't remember the brand very clearly.. :sweat:
I don't think it's YHS.. more like Kickapoo, or Greenspot... :scratchhead:

I guess it's nearer to the far end of Upper Bukit Timah - that's out of your "range"? hehe.. Because I also remember that our car sometimes stopped for the train to cross the road - somewhere near Bukit Panjang / Choa Chu Kang Road..

Thanks lots anyway.. (:

Yes, that's further north of my familiar area. My range was from Jurong Kechil to Orchard daily, taking in a long tour of Toh Tuck, Eng Kong and Namly estates en route (school bus route!). We only went further north if we were heading for Johor!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tutormum » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:45 pm

All I know about Bukit Timah was what my grandmother told me that happened during the 2nd world war.

When it was heard that the Japs were coming to Singapore, everybody ran to hide at Bukit Timah Hill. Don't know why they thought it was safe there. Some of my relatives asked my grandparents to go along. However, they decided not to. One relative brought all his sons with him (think it was 7 of them) but left his wife and youngest daughter who was a baby behind. His reason was the baby might cry and gave them away. In the end, those who went were all killed by the Japs while those who stayed survived. :nailbite: :nailbite: Heng ah, my grandparents didn't go no matter how their relatives tried to persuade them or I won't be born. :sweat:

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time