Would you still consider Lawyer as a career for your child?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Would you still consider Lawyer as a career for your child?

Postby rivereast » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:32 am

Hi,

Don't know where to post this so just put it here.

As a child, she is mostly not very sure what is the best career out there so as parents we might need to push or guide them in the right direction.
With the glut of lawyers now and with more foreign lawyers coming to Singapore, would you still groom your child to be a lawyer?

Would lawyer go the way of Engineers?

Besides doctors and lawyers, what other career would you groom your child to, or let it depends on her interest?

thanks!

rivereast
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Would you still consider Lawyer as a career for your chi

Postby janet88 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:57 am

rivereast wrote:Would lawyer go the way of Engineers?

Besides doctors and lawyers, what other career would you groom your child to, or let it depends on her interest?

thanks!

The child's interest. I always remind my kids whatever choice they choose, they must not regret. As a parent, I will guide.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby rivereast » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:09 am

janet_lee88 wrote:The child's interest. I always remind my kids whatever choice they choose, they must not regret. As a parent, I will guide.

that is a wise choice. but i think there will be KSPs who would biased the guide to more prominent careers like doctors, lawyers, etc.

at what age do we let our kids make choices? if they are not doing their homework and not studying, would we supervise them? what if they say they would just want to a career that does not need to be highly educated?

rivereast
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sinoboy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:04 pm

rivereast wrote:
janet_lee88 wrote:The child's interest. I always remind my kids whatever choice they choose, they must not regret. As a parent, I will guide.

that is a wise choice. but i think there will be KSPs who would biased the guide to more prominent careers like doctors, lawyers, etc.

at what age do we let our kids make choices? if they are not doing their homework and not studying, would we supervise them? what if they say they would just want to a career that does not need to be highly educated?

If they want a career while no need to be too highly educated, then give them the example of Bill Gates, Zuckerberg or Steve Jobs. They all had highly successful careers in IT field but were all college dropouts. :cool:

sinoboy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby pirate » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:17 pm

rivereast wrote:

What career choice (so long as legal!) they make is not that important. What is important is that they must have the drive to put in the hard work to become extremely good at it. For that to happen, it must be a field that they have an interest in.

Otherwise, they will just end up being mediocre in whatever career they are in... and unhappy.

If they say they want a career that "not need to be highly educated", they must understand that if they want to succeed in that career, they still have to put in a lot of hard work. A child can want a career as a concert pianist, but that is not going to happen unless the child is willing to put in hours and hours of practice every day. They must understand that "not need to be highly educated" is not the same thing as "not need to work hard".

It is also our job to let our children know that in some fields one must be ridiculously good in order to make a living. In others, merely being average will allow one to get by. There is no market for an average or even above-average musician or artist other than being a music or art teacher. There is however a market for an average doctor or lawyer. It is important that the child understands this. In terms of academic achievement, the "average" doctor or lawyer is still around the top 1-2% of each cohort. On the other hand, the "average" professional pop singer is probably around 0.005% of the cohort.

A "wannabe" is not a career choice.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KSP » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:17 pm

What about Chairman/President/CEO/CFO/CTO/CIO/VP/Directors of a company? I don't think these ppl are worse off (or earn less) than Dr/Lawyers.

There are so many opportunities out there. Not only Dr/Lawyers can earn a decent living.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sinoboy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:29 pm

pirate wrote:It is also our job to let our children know that in some fields one must be ridiculously good in order to make a living. In others, merely being average will allow one to get by. There is no market for an average or even above-average musician or artist other than being a music or art teacher. There is however a market for an average doctor or lawyer. It is important that the child understands this. In terms of academic achievement, the "average" doctor or lawyer is still around the top 1-2% of each cohort. On the other hand, the "average" professional pop singer is probably around 0.005% of the cohort.

A "wannabe" is not a career choice.

In the Korean drama "Good Doctor", the good doctor became a doctor even though he is autistic and behavior is like a primary school kid. He probably won't do well in PSLE but still became a doctor. So in today's context don't need not be top 1 to 2% of cohort to be doctor anymore? :scratchhead:

sinoboy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby 12mum » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:41 pm

So many medical schools in this world, so many people can be dr...it is just a matter whether is it recognised/accepted by countries like USA, uk, japan etc. :smile:

12mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby JJ1111 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:50 pm

KSP wrote:What about Chairman/President/CEO/CFO/CTO/CIO/VP/Directors of a company? I don't think these ppl are worse off (or earn less) than Dr/Lawyers.

There are so many opportunities out there. Not only Dr/Lawyers can earn a decent living.

How many % can be Chairman/President/CEO/CFO/CTO/CIO/VP/Directors of a company? :roll:

They can be a BOSS of a company but how profitable his / her company can produce is another question. :scratchhead:

I agreed with pirate that all job required to put in HARD WORK.

My company has quite a number of Degree holders. There is only 1 who start off as a Manager and climb up to General Manager. The rest are still small fly in our company.

they want a career while no need to be too highly educated, then give them the example of Bill Gates, Zuckerberg or Steve Jobs. They all had highly successful careers in IT field but were all college dropouts. :cool:

How many % of the dropout can be as successful as them?

JJ1111
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby JJ1111 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:53 pm

rivereast wrote:Hi,

Don't know where to post this so just put it here.

As a child, she is mostly not very sure what is the best career out there so as parents we might need to push or guide them in the right direction.
With the glut of lawyers now and with more foreign lawyers coming to Singapore, would you still groom your child to be a lawyer?

Would lawyer go the way of Engineers?

thanks!

Not only foreign lawyer.

Now there is a lot of foreign doctor too. If you have go to our government hospital, you can see a lot of foreign doctor there. :sweat:

JJ1111
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time