ACSI's charter of 5 MRT trains

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

ACSI's charter of 5 MRT trains

Postby ngl2010 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:13 am

I may get :duck: from starting this discussion.

Now LTA wants to take action against SMRT. :faint:
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/acs-i-rugby-train-ing-lta/1331292.html

I think it was a creative solution. It beats the 80-bus solution which may create congestion on the road. Regular trains were not affected. SMRT staff and ACSI teachers made sure the students did not block commuters. So, commuters were not affected.

Even if approval is required from SMRT, couldn't LTA just give verbal warning to SMRT privately without making it a big deal? We are always encouraged to think for creative solutions but why so many red tapes?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: ACSI's charter of 5 MRT trains

Postby Mawar » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:32 am

I also thought it was a creative solution. :shrug:

Everything also Cannot syndrome? Everything must go by the book. Any deviation would warrant complaints here and there. An investigation would kick in, followed by a slap on the wrist. Soon we will not try anything because Everything also Cannot!

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:35 am

I really don't see why LTA is making a public fuss about this. Would anyone have made a fuss if the school had chartered public buses instead? I believe SBS and SMRT buses are available for private charter. Even if there is a rule in the rule book about seeking approval, since trains have been used for schools before, it may have been considered that approval for charter by schools was already given?

To me, as long as the charter was paid for at a commercial rate, and regular train services were not affected, I think it's a good use of public resources. If SMRT can earn extra money this way, maybe our fares won't go up as much. And if the thousands of supporters had gone there by car, think of the traffic jams, parking problems, pollution etc.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:51 am

Maybe the guy in SMRT that approved the deal is from ACS while the guy from LTA that's exploring "appropriate action" is from the Saints... :laugh: :siam:

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby jetsetter » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:05 am

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/transport/story/smrt-may-face-lta-sanctions-allowing-use-trains-private-use-without-a

An LTA spokesman said: "Under the Circle Line licence, SMRT has to seek LTA's prior approval for the provision of train services that are not open to the general commuting public.

"In this case, SMRT did not seek our approval before agreeing to provide the service. We are looking into the appropriate action to take. We have also reminded SMRT that its primary focus must be to ensure good service delivery to the commuting public at large."

In response, SMRT said that chartered trains run between normal train services and strictly within off peak hours only. It added: "SMRT assures passengers that train intervals are maintained at normal service levels at all times."

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:07 am

But display of its school motto on the panel is a bit the... :siam:

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:12 am

Someone in LTA was probably not happy that prior approval wasn't sought. And probably not happy at the 28-8 outcome. :D

I personally think it was a creative solution with no added congestion and pollution to our roads, with no disruption to regular service.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby janet88 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:14 am

Mawar wrote:I also thought it was a creative solution. :shrug:

Everything also Cannot syndrome? Everything must go by the book. Any deviation would warrant complaints here and there. An investigation would kick in, followed by a slap on the wrist. Soon we will not try anything because Everything also Cannot!

I was amused with the idea...very creative actually...no need to hire buses...but the school moto is a little overboard.
This incident shows there is still red tape...why so inflexible?
If everything still goes by the book, jialat.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby GLORYmum » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:20 am

Problem is Lta was not given the credit for the creativity. :lol:

Smrt and acsi should be applauded for earning carbon credits instead of not seeking prior approval from an authority. :siao:
Last edited by GLORYmum on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

GLORYmum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby seaglass » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:22 am

janet_lee88 wrote:I was amused with the idea...very creative actually...no need to hire buses...but the school moto is a little overboard.
This incident shows there is still red tape...why so inflexible?
If everything still goes by the book, jialat.

If they can use the 5 MRT trains, why not the display panel?? :sweat:
I thought that was the best fun part! :cool:

seaglass
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time