Hong Kong Protest: Occupy Central

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Hong Kong Protest: Occupy Central

Postby auntieM » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:06 am

Situation heating up with tear gas and pepperspray used on crowd.. ...
Wonder how events will unfold.. ... :pray:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Hong Kong Protest: Occupy Central

Postby 12mum » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:27 am

I couldn't help but think of the recent incident at hong lim park.

Meanwhile in hk, bil still has to go to work, niece still go to school.

I think things might get worse when nearer to the Hong Kong Chief Executive election 2017.

Oh....no school today for niece...
Last edited by 12mum on Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

12mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:44 am

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jetsetter » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:00 pm

12mum wrote:I couldn't help but think of the recent incident at hong lim park.

Meanwhile in hk, bil still has to go to work, niece still go to school.

I think things might get worse when nearer to the Hong Kong Chief Executive election 2017.

Hong Lim saga is relatively small scale compared to Occupy Central. Ours just led by 2 loonies only.

Some school students walked out this morning right? More to come it seems.

Instagram's just been blocked this morning/ytd...Sunday afternoon, all news on HK demo blocked out in mainland...

In my opinion, things will get worse nearer to Oct 1 (PRC National Day)!

But nope, Xi Jinping won't back down...he can't back down on the changes introduced on 31 Aug. [read: China's powerful National People's Congress Standing Committee had voted to change the way Hong Kong picks its chief executive, ruling that only candidates approved by a nominating committee will be allowed to run.]

But I understand HK's constitution has no mention of universal suffrage wor... :shrug:

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:20 pm

Why do people take to the streets in Hong Kong when they are unhappy? Even our DBS has to shut down services in admiralty?
Does this mean that 1 country 2 systems doesn't work?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:52 pm

Travel Notice for Hong Kong [29 September 2014]

Protestors gathered outside Hong Kong’s Government Headquarters over the weekend of 27-28 September 2014. The protests could be spreading to other parts of the city. There are disruptions to traffic and public transport services, and closures of some schools and businesses. Singaporeans should avoid the crowd and demonstrations.

Singaporeans travelling to or residing in Hong Kong should monitor the local news and developments closely and heed the instructions of local authorities. They should take all necessary precautions for personal safety, including purchasing comprehensive travel and medical insurance.

In addition, Singaporeans travelling to or residing in Hong Kong are encouraged to eRegister with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at https://eregister.mfa.gov.sg to facilitate contact should the need arise. Singaporeans who are in need of consular assistance while in Hong Kong may contact our Consulate-General or the 24-hour MFA Duty Office at:

Consulate-General of the Republic of Singapore – China (Hong Kong SAR)
Address: Units 901-2, 9th Floor
Admiralty Centre Tower 1
18 Harcourt Road, Hong Kong
Tel: +(852) 2527-2212
Telefax: +(852) 2861-3595
Email: singcg_hkg@sgmfa.gov.sg

Homepage: http://www.mfa.gov.sg/hongkong
Ministry of Foreign Affairs Duty Office (24-hours)
Tel: 6379 8800, 6379 8855
Fax: 6476-7302
Email: mfa_duty_officer@mfa.gov.sg

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:42 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:Why do people take to the streets in Hong Kong when they are unhappy? Even our DBS has to shut down services in admiralty?

Does this mean that 1 country 2 systems doesn't work?

1. HK's 基本法 guarantees "freedom of speech, of the press and of publication; freedom of expression, of assembly of procession and demonstration."

2. Subjective. Really depends on whether pp understand the gist of 一国两制 and hv faith in it...China believes protestors hv a lopsided understanding of the 1 country 2 systems model. In a detailed White Paper released in Jun 2014, it stressed that while Hong Kong has a high degree of autonomy, it is NOT FULL autonomy.

Those pro-democracy protestors (particularly young students born after '90) will tell you outrightly the model doesn't work. Perhaps they dun quite understand or hv misinterpreted the fundamentals and China's rationale (good intentions) behind those so called restrictions. Or perhaps they hv been misguided by... :censored:

:duck:

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:45 pm

Notice many of my HK friends hv converted their avatars to this in support of the Umbrella Revolution....

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dasalo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:23 pm

Why is everyone using this yellow ribbon? Any significance or story behind this?

In Sg we use it for 2nd chance project. In Korea, for the sinking ferry Sewol incident and now Hong Kong Umbrella Revolution?

dasalo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tutormum » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:27 pm

I was :stompfeet: :stompfeet: :stompfeet: :mad: :mad: reading about that H3 and Roy disrupting the performance of the special needs children in their protest. Instead of apologising to the children, they tried to justify their actions.

Firstly, H3 is from Malaysia (correct me if I am wrong) so why is she involved in our political system. Secondly, they are only in their early twenties, so how much CPF money do they have? If they are speaking out for old people like me, no thanks I don't need their "help".

Those who listen to them should clean their ears and open their eyes big big. We may need an opposition but not hooligans. If they think that acting in this way means that they can form an opposition party, they have to think long long.

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/singa ... -caused-by

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time