Sex ed at JC level

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Sex ed at JC level

Postby AC_Power » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:06 am

Really impressed with this girl. Would be proud to have a daughter like her. I like the way she put forth her concerns - in a very measured and non-confrontational manner.

http://mothership.sg/2014/10/17-year-ol ... ereotypes/

MOE should really look into this. i certainly won't want my children to sit through this session.

AC_Power
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Sex ed at JC level

Postby Funz » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:44 am

Good for her.

Reading some of her comments and also looking at some of the screenshots of the booklet and I can already feel myself bristling.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby pirate » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:54 pm

Kapo'ed this from Yahoo! forum on this topic (presumaby referring to the "if she says" screenshot:
In that case, the following replies should do you fine and are highly recommended:

Are you listening to me? - What did you say?
Do I look fat? - What do you mean "look"?
Don't get me anything. - I wasn't planning to.
Do you love me? - Erhmm....
It's your decision. - Ok. You say one ah.
Sure... go ahead. - You tell me to one ah.
You have to learn to communicate. - I can communicate just fine. You on the other hand...

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:01 pm

"rolled my eyes" when I read this ytd. :roll: :snooze:

Much ado abt love ed aka "teenage bgr"... Give the org a break, wont she?

ToC has the most biased coverage - singled out the religion:(

EDITED: Wait a sec, ST too...
Last edited by jetsetter on Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BitterSweet » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:04 pm

My school made everyone attend this workshop at the beginning of this year - pretty much everyone in my school was offended and disagreed with most of what the workshop promoted, my Christian friends included.

It's nothing to do with the religion (I will admit that they tried their best to stay away from religion during the workshop) - it's the fact that they promote dangerous, unfair and offensive gender stereotypes for BOTH GENDERS. I'm glad to see this letter go viral and hope that changes will be made to this workshop in the near future.

BitterSweet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby pirate » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:35 pm

Actually, I was reading the screenshots of the pamphlet, and I could not find anything in it that says what the author says it says:

The most alarming thing I read in the booklet provided was that “A guy can’t not want to look” and that what a girl is wearing matters only “lest she become an “eye magnet” that cannot be avoided” (see attached photos of pages 27-28). There are two main problems with this –firstly, that guys are apparently incapable of controlling themselves or their hormones at all, and this is excusable because it’s in their natures, and second, that as a girl, when I dress, I should be thinking of what guys think rather than what I think.

FotF would have you believe that guys are slaves to their hormones and therefore girls should take their unwanted attention in their stride. When a “scantily-clad” girl walks past, for instance, a guy is sure to take notice because “no man with a pulse could have done otherwise” (page 26). It is precisely this kind of attitude that makes mothers warn their daughters not to wear short skirts and walk along the street alone at night, instead of warning their sons to be decent human beings and keep their eyes to themselves instead of appraising the female form like they own it. Certainly, we live in a male dominated world, and for this reason, guys do tend to get away with more. Yet that they do get away with more does not mean that they should. FotF, however, seems to believe that anything a guy does is excusable just because he is a guy. It is worrying that this is the message being imparted to students who are frequently told that they are they the future of the nation.

In my opinion, FotF’s portrayal of guys with regards to their raging hormones not only makes them seem pathetic, but again reduces girls to their role as supporters of their male counterparts. The booklet states that “Many guys feel neither the ability nor the responsibility to stop the sexual progression with [girls]”, and thus they “need your help to protect both of you” (page 28). I felt it disgusting that, for one, FotF has reduced guys to nothing but their hormones, and for two, instead, then, of suggesting that we should cultivate a sense of responsibility in guys with regards to respecting boundaries, FotF suggested that girls therefore need to support guys so that they are able to play heroes and guardians. Why should girls have to learn to help guys play guardian rather than learn how to protect themselves?

On the other hand, I feel a lot of teenage angst reading her essay.

Say already sure kena hantum.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:39 pm

AC_Power wrote:Really impressed with this girl. Would be proud to have a daughter like her. I like the way she put forth her concerns - in a very measured and non-confrontational manner.

http://mothership.sg/2014/10/17-year-ol ... ereotypes/

MOE should really look into this. i certainly won't want my children to sit through this session.

btw, AC Power: u might wanna change ur Title to "Ed on Human Relationships". It's NOT "Sex Ed" according to that org...

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:54 pm

Actually, the complaint comes across more as a typical teenage rant against culture. These days, we can take issue with almost anything. Those screenshots can come across as offensive to people who do not like to be stereotyped, but yet as funny and honest to others who have encountered similar behavior. The difference in views is rooted in the position we take, and our personal experiences. Yes, stereotypes are evil when blindly applied. But they can be useful in allowing us to recognise and understand complex behavioral patterns.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby jetsetter » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:57 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:Actually, the complaint comes across more as a typical teenage rant against culture. These days, we can take issue with almost anything. Those screenshots can come across as offensive to people who do not like to be stereotyped, but yet as funny and honest to others who have encountered similar behavior. The difference in views is rooted in the position we take, and our personal experiences. Yes, stereotypes are evil when blindly applied. But they can be useful in allowing us to recognise and understand complex behavioral patterns.

Excellent view, as always...

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:58 pm

pirate wrote:
On the other hand, I feel a lot of teenage angst reading her essay.

Say already sure kena hantum.

no i feel the same way. I recall reading a lot of imported literature on similarly superficial n stereotypical interpretations of adolescence/puberty behaviours at NLB when i was in sec sch...

A lot of high sch romantic novels are liddat too...

yes, booklet is daft; content sux (trivialises human relationships) but do we need all that "AWAREsque" brouhaha?

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time