In the spirit of giving

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

In the spirit of giving

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:06 am

Christmas is a time where we crack our brains trying to think about what presents we give to our loved ones. But how far are we willing to go when it comes to helping out complete strangers?

Three pounds may not mean much to even kids these days, but when this homeless guy offered all he has... three pounds... to try to help out a lost stranger, it puts the world right again. So much hate and killing in the news makes us all bitter and fearful of one another. Let us do our part in whatever small way we can to show that we still care for humanity at large.

From Business Insider:

A British student has raised thousands of pounds for a "homeless hero" who offered her his last few coins to get home at night after she lost her bank card.

The online fundraising page reached over £16,500 ($26,000, 20,500 euros) on Wednesday after student Dominique Harrison-Bentzen's campaign went viral.

"After losing my bank card and having no money in the early hours, a homeless man approached me with his only change of three pounds and insisted I took it to pay for a taxi," Harrison-Bentzen wrote on the page.

"I didn't take the money, but I was touched by such a kind gesture from a man who faces ignorance every day."

The man, Robbie, had been homeless for seven months in the town of Preston in northern England and was known for making kind gestures, the University of Central Lancashire student discovered.

To thank him, Harrison-Bentzen decided to spend 24 hours homeless in a fundraising drive to pay for accommodation for him.

Supporters were asked to give three pounds, the same amount that Robbie had offered.

"Together our small act of kindness can change someone's life this Christmas and finally get him off the streets safe and warm," Harrison-Bentzen wrote.

By Wednesday the page had raised £16,500 from almost 3,000 backers.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: In the spirit of giving

Postby pirated » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:55 am

A group of new immigrants from Norway and Sweden came with cakes, wine, beer, roast beef and lamb and presents, duly alighted from the taxi, paid, and rang my bell.

Was Christmas, but they were not my guests! They said the taxi driver insisted it was the right address. I knew they got the wrong destination even though the slip of paper showed my address. I knew whoever wrote that address had inadvertently left out the word "west". I offered to drive them to the right house. They were shocked ! Unexpected of Singaporean pirates I guess !

Note : both houses bearing the same number on the same road (one with the "west", one without) have owners with the same name but different person.

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:07 pm

Was expecting something to the tune of "10,000 KS Points giveaway" kinda stuff..

hmm.... ok..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:10 pm

pirated wrote:A group of new immigrants from Norway and Sweden came with cakes, wine, beer, roast beef and lamb and presents, duly alighted from the taxi, paid, and rang my bell.

Was Christmas, but they were not my guests! They said the taxi driver insisted it was the right address. I knew they got the wrong destination even though the slip of paper showed my address. I knew whoever wrote that address had inadvertently left out the word "west". I offered to drive them to the right house. They were shocked ! Unexpected of Singaporean pirates I guess !

Note : both houses bearing the same number on the same road (one with the "west", one without) have owners with the same name but different person.

Was the other owner Pirate?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time