Open Letter to MOE: Cease hiring of gay teachers.

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Open Letter to MOE: Cease hiring of gay teachers.

Postby chenwj » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:11 am

I recall it was reported in the news a couple of years back when a single swimming/waterpolo coach of a branded school touched his male trainees inappropriately. Those kids were like secondary 1? It lasted for a couple of years before those affected reported to the authorities.

This open letter that was published in these alternative websites sounds homophobic but I understand boys and their parents tend to have a lower guard against sexual predators of the same gender because those innocuousness touches may be perceived as harmless by our kids but probably triggered a sexual response from the predators? According to netizens, that Clarence Hoe dude was a HOD in E* primary school.

Are there any warning signs that we, as parents should watch out when we meet the teachers?

Sexual grooming applies to boys too.

=======

http://therealsingapore.com/content/ope ... mmediately

Dear Sir & Madam,

I am disappointed to know that another gay male teacher was charged in court recently. He was accused of molesting two boys aged 13 and 14 in his flat . After the Straits Times broke the news, social media users investigated and managed to uncover that he was a Head of Department of a primary school when those hideous acts were committed. Photos of him were posted on the internet [1].

Clarence Hoe King Chuan was not the first gay teacher to be formally charged for his devious acts. Earlier in December, Chock Soon Seng, a 37 year old male former primary school teacher was sentenced to prison for sexually abusing a 14 year old boy and threatened to circulate his nude photos online [2]. In the same month, another 34 year old male teacher in a primary school molested a 12 year old boy who is under his care as a CCA teacher & discipline master [3].

In July this year, a male Junior College teacher was convicted for underage sex with a 14 year old boy he met on the internet [4].

Besides recent cases, a 33 year old gay male teacher in primary school molested and kissed 4 boys between the age of 10 and 12 years old last year November [5]. That same year, a 33 year old gay teacher had molested a 13 year old boy in a condominium swimming pool shower cubicle [6].

In March 2012, another gay 38 year old primary school was sent to prison for jailed for 10 years for sexually violating two boys, one of them was only 8 years old [7].

The examples I have listed above are certainly not exhaustive. I firmly believe that most of our teachers who entered the profession have regarded teaching as a noble case but I fear there is a small group of teachers who became teachers to satisfy their own immoral desires.

Does MOE and her respective schools have any safeguards to ensure that our school grounds do not become a hunting ground for these sexual predators?

I hope our Education Minister Mr Heng Swee Keat has not turned a blind eye to these incidents and I hope he can set a proper directive and address this issue before parents lose trust in our educational institutions.

Jackson Tham

[1] http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/eat-d ... 13786.html

[2] http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singap ... teen-20141

[3] http://www.tnp.sg/news/school-disciplin ... g-pupil-12

[4] http://news.asiaone.com/news/crime/jc-t ... sex-boy-14

[5] http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-ne ... -10-and-12

[6] http://thecourtroom.stomp.com.sg/courtr ... er-cubicle

[7] http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest+New ... 36206.html

chenwj
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Open Letter to MOE: Cease hiring of gay teachers.

Postby dimsum » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:26 am

Parents should do a background check when they engage tutors too. Recalled reading about one who became a tutor after he was sacked by MOE.

dimsum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:17 pm

I think parents of boys have it worse. I have a little boy. We not only need to worry about male teachers, we also need to be wary of female teachers! Haven't we read about female school teachers having sex with her students? :slapshead:

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:03 pm

The problem with this protest is that it makes the assumption that gay people are more prone to sexual predation than straight people. Even if one chooses to consider LGBT to be "not normal", is it fair to make such an assumption? It would not only discriminate the group, but also give us the false sense of security that our children are in good/safe hands just because none of their teachers are LGBT.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby lexis » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:06 pm

whether a teacher chooses to prey on his/her wards is a question of his/her character and morals, and not his/her sexual preferences. i am sure some of the many good male teachers out there are gay too, closet or not.

lexis
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby WeiHan » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Imami wrote:I think parents of boys have it worse. I have a little boy. We not only need to worry about male teachers, we also need to be wary of female teachers! Haven't we read about female school teachers having sex with her students? :slapshead:

It is a very strange view. Haven't we heard often of male teachers or adults having sexual affairs with underaged girls? The seriousness when girls are involved is that they can get pregnated and that will leave permanent harm physically.

WeiHan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby habibi » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:46 pm

Under Singapore law, an adult found guilty of engaging sexual intercourse with anyone under the age of 16 - even if it's consensual - faces up to 10 years' imprisonment, a fine or both.

habibi
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Imami » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:37 pm

WeiHan wrote:
Imami wrote:I think parents of boys have it worse. I have a little boy. We not only need to worry about male teachers, we also need to be wary of female teachers! Haven't we read about female school teachers having sex with her students? :slapshead:

It is a very strange view. Haven't we heard often of male teachers or adults having sexual affairs with underaged girls? The seriousness when girls are involved is that they can get pregnated and that will leave permanent harm physically.

Be it boys or girls, be it how frequent, being preyed upon by sexual fiend is equally serious. :roll:

I am coming from the point that parents of boys probably need to keep in mind that it is not just the male teachers whom we need to keep an eye on.

I know how sticky some people can be. This shall be my last post in respond to the above.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby FB555 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:07 pm

As parents, when the kid is of certain age that he/she is able to make sense of what is happening around them, the kid should be educated to be wary of people that make them feel comfortable and they should scream for help and try to run away and they should report such incidents immediately to teachers and their parents.
They also be told that no one should allow to 'touch' their private parts unless physical examination by doc and accompanied by their parents.
It is good to make it a point to make the kids aware of such news that had happened around them by showing them the newspaper article. And tell them how they should react if it happen to them. They should learn how to protect themselves.

When i bring kids for shopping and dh is not with us, i will bring my DS with me to the ladies toilet so tat i can keep an eye on him. Until recently tat i decided to let him go to the Gents toilet alone.
But i still do not allow him to go public swimming's pool gents toilet and he is still using the children toilet.
FB555
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:33 pm

more gay, lesbian Tr on the rise

How to teach children, to protect themselves against immoral Tr ?

Chinese civic moral education lessons (hao gong min) should start to introduce new chapters, new lessons curriculum on -
how to protect children, from immoral Tr (both male & female Tr) who are sex predators (wolf in sheep skin) in schools, in colleges, in universities / varsity, school compound, tuition centre(s)
Last edited by phtthp on Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time