Kit Chan comes in last in I Am A Singer, but wins hearts

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Kit Chan comes in last in I Am A Singer, but wins hearts

Postby iRabbit » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:55 pm

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/television/story/kit-chan-comes-last-hunan-tvs-i-am-singer-wins-hearts-china-20150104

Beijing - Kit Chan came in last in the debut of the third season of the Hunan TV contest I Am A Singer, but she is winning hearts in China.

After the episode was broadcast last Friday night, Chinese fans who fell in love with the Singaporean singer's performance of Shino Lin's Tempting Heart regretted not knowing her earlier, said NetEase website.

Last Saturday, the fans were angry on Weibo after a rumour went round online that Chan had become the first star to be eliminated this season, after taping Jacky Cheung's Heart Cut By A Knife in the second episode that will air this Friday, said NetEase.

One fan wrote: "If Kit Chan is eliminated, I won't watch I Am A Singer, we must revive her!"

Chan, 42, is the first Singaporean in the contest that pits professional singers against each other. The singers are ranked by votes from the studio audience, and the first elimination in a season is announced in the second episode, after a tally of the votes at the first two tapings.

Chan has been adamant that she will not sing showy songs for the sake of winning. In an interview in the episode that aired last Friday, she said: "I know the song I chose and my performing style aren't really for the competition. I hope that through my performance, the audience in China and in other places can fall in love."

Later, she took the fewest votes from the 500-strong audience, who ranked Chinese pop stars Han Hong and Jane Zhang and Taiwanese singer A-lin - the stars with the biggest voices - first, second and third. China's Sun Nan and Anson Hu and Hong Kong's Leo Ku ranked fourth, fifth and sixth.

In a ballot among the stars themselves, however, Chan was ranked third by her peers, after Han and Zhang. Han also gave Chan effusive praise, saying she liked the Singaporean's performance from the moment she opened her mouth.

Han said of Chan: "She was plaintively singing, not noisily declaiming anything. Between loud and high-pitched and subtle, I definitely prefer subtle."

On Weibo, singer Tan Fei was among Chan's Chinese celebrity supporters. Tan said the rumoured elimination, if true, "should be in the director's control, and there should eventually be a big reversal". Either that, or "those 500 people have inflamed middle ears".

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Kit Chan comes in last in I Am A Singer, but wins hearts

Postby jetsetter » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:12 am

至在参与

多多努力,阿kit!

She can't sing like before. How to compete with China's 金嗓子: 韩红、孙楠?!

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:22 am

I fell in love with kit chan's 喜欢你.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:37 am

jetsetter wrote:至在参与

多多努力,阿kit!

She can't sing like before. How to compete with China's 金嗓子: 韩红、孙楠?!

Has she really deteriorated? I thought her disappointing performance during New Year's Eve is just a one-off. :sad:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby floppy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:07 am

iRabbit wrote:One fan wrote: "If Kit Chan is eliminated, I won't watch I Am A Singer, we must revive her!"

When will people realise that such competitions are rigged? :rotflmao:
It's not a singing contest; it's about:
1. viewership
2. viewership
and
3. still viewership

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:04 am

I watched the first episode on youtube. Have seen Han Hong before as a judge but didn't know why she so 'ba1 bai2'. Then she open her mouth and sing....wow!! That said, everyone seem to idolize her - so if she win this round, so not surprising and like anti climatical.

Watched Kit Chan couple of years back in December Rains and then went to her last concert in SG...not sure how much she 'deteriorated' from early days, but her voice is still amazing.

So go Kit go!!

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby aprillee989 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:22 pm

Haha! Totally agree..this round's contestants are all too strong..so its perfectly fine for her to get last place..she may be last within the 7 singers, but still top among other singers in the industry..haha!

aprillee989
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jetsetter » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:37 pm

韩红is in a position to be ba1 bai3 cos she is 国宝级歌手 (contemporary & folk),alongside 孙楠、刘欢...Not sure if she's Tibetan, but she was born there. Tibetans and some ethnic minorities in Yunnan and Guangxi certainly have very powerful and high-piercing vocals (diaphragm)!! She currently holds a senior position in the PLA (Dy Head, Cultural Troupe Air Force).

孙楠 - From Liaoning. Having a poweful voice isn't enough to wow the audience. In this cut throat industry, your voice must be very unique that sets you apart from others, cos there're tons of great singers in China. I used to patronise Beijing pubs to listen to live bands play n sing unplugged. Believe me, any amateur singer there is BETTER than Kit Chan's "normal" voice. Even Ah Du has a unique husky, raspy voice that earned him high accolades and consequently helped him secure many BIG advertising contracts in mainland.

There's one more 刘欢 not in this contest. He sang with Sarah Brightman during the opening ceremony of BJ Olympics 2008. Also another “央台春晚级”歌手 (上神台 type)

+++

Based on past experiences of watching so many copycat Talentine shows produced by diff provinces in China, we conclude that judges love those contestants who like to sing their lungs out, pull the notes darn long...the audience and judges are used to those military style sopranos and tenors, maybe? :rotflmao:

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:38 pm

Now listen to Kit sing.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=893363244036662

Saccharine n melodious, but not powerful enough in a large area...Could be the song she picked that night...Also, her voice isn't exceptionally unique, compared to Stefanie Sun's (a bit nasalised and liquidy, and can be explosive at times) and JJ Lin's second to none 声线...(Also the reason why he was invited to CCTV春晚 -- a great honour for every and any singer in the Mando/Cantopop world)

林俊杰的声音是很独特的。林夕说他的声音是被天使吻过的,吴宗宪说他的声音是“此声只因天上有,人间难得几回闻”。他的声音高亢而不刺耳,温柔而有力量。其曲婉转而不敷衍,其情真挚而非表演。他是唯一个把东方与西方完美结合的歌手,他把东方的细腻纯净与西方的浑浊宽厚巧妙的运用在了一起。他的声音比较高亢,婉转,温柔,细腻。他的许多歌曲都会有飙高音,真假音转换,混音唱法,颤音唱法等等。他在歌曲上很专注于唱法,也不缺乏表达情感的真挚。林俊杰的声音是华语乐坛不可多得的一个好声音,一直被模仿,从未被超越。

JJ takes the cake.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirated » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:43 pm

China literally has tons and tons of very very good singers. Gave up buying all the CDs

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time