Cost to replace kitchen tap

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Cost to replace kitchen tap

Postby kaisuparents » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:01 pm

Hi,
What is the normal charges to replace kitchen tap. I have already purchased the tap. I called a plumber and he asked me to pay 90$ for installation. Is it the normal charges?
Regards

kaisuparents
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:52 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Cost to replace kitchen tap

Postby limlim » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:35 pm

DIY is free. It's actually very simple. Not worth $5 for the job, IMO. Maybe $30 for transport so total < $50.

But if you're at the mercy of pple who rip you off then you don't really have a choice.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6623
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:43 pm
Total Likes: 102


Re: Cost to replace kitchen tap

Postby limlim » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:38 pm

1. Off main supply
2. remove flexible hose from old tap
3. unlock nut, remove tap
4. fix new tap, lock nut
5. fix flexi hose
6. On supply.

White tape is optional usually.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6623
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:43 pm
Total Likes: 102


Re: Cost to replace kitchen tap

Postby patntee » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:30 pm

Agree. Was checking around recently too, we were quoted $90 and that includes the tap that costs around $60. Your $90 quotation for installation is way overpriced. The hardware shop owner said it's very easy and even told my hubby how to do it. Just need a tool that costs a few dollars.

patntee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 420
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:00 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Cost to replace kitchen tap

Postby straffan23 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:44 pm

I agree. It is a simple DIY job - just need the right tools. But, because all these piping things, untouched for 10 years... might have a few surprises - like a nut that refuse to come off... something unintentionally broke... $30 is cheap insurance!

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 6



Re: Cost to replace kitchen tap

Postby atrecord » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:03 pm

All those skill-based jobs are in demand, and supply is limited - hence they dare to quote high price.

And since Singaporeans are demanding, and cannot stand extended/prolonged inconvenience, most will pay since it's additional tens, not thousands.

I think transport will be about $30, and labour another $30. They will likely also tell you that they need to quote higher as they also need to warrant the job, i.e. if something breaks, they have to make good = higher risks.

If you're adventurous, can of course try it yourself.

If your tap is old, then be careful as things might fall apart once touched, especially by non-pro :sweat:

If your system is new, and manufacturer had valued aesthetics over practicality, then possible that it might be too complex for amateurs. I encountered this when trying to replace a flushing system for my toilet bowl…

Good luck!

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2222
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:25 am
Total Likes: 6


Re: Cost to replace kitchen tap

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:56 pm

I can diy electrical stuff, but when it comes to plumbing, I defer to the safe choice of using professionals.

Quotes also depends on location. If you stay in private estates, be prepared to be slaughtered.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319


Re: Cost to replace kitchen tap

Postby Jennifer » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:11 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:I can diy electrical stuff, but when it comes to plumbing, I defer to the safe choice of using professionals.

Quotes also depends on location. If you stay in private estates, be prepared to be slaughtered.



The condo we used to stay at has a in-house handyman. A token sum will do for simple jobs. No need to pay for exorbitant sum.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 23236
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 106


Re: Cost to replace kitchen tap

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:32 am

Jennifer wrote:The condo we used to stay at has a in-house handyman. A token sum will do for simple jobs. No need to pay for exorbitant sum.


Wow! That's a great idea. But no stay-in handyman at our place :( . In fact, when the built-in furnishing suffer wear and tear, the management office doesn't even know who we can call to replace those parts... :rant:

Come to think of it, wouldn't it be great if condos have "stay-in" maids who can be detached to individual homes as part-time maids? What are the restrictions on this?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319


Re: Cost to replace kitchen tap

Postby Funz » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:38 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Jennifer wrote:The condo we used to stay at has a in-house handyman. A token sum will do for simple jobs. No need to pay for exorbitant sum.


Wow! That's a great idea. But no stay-in handyman at our place :( . In fact, when the built-in furnishing suffer wear and tear, the management office doesn't even know who we can call to replace those parts... :rant:

Come to think of it, wouldn't it be great if condos have "stay-in" maids who can be detached to individual homes as part-time maids? What are the restrictions on this?


No restrictions. All you need to do is go live in a serviced apartment. :lol:

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 10817
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:48 pm
Total Likes: 318


Next

Return to Recess Time