Internet scam

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Internet scam

Postby ngl2010 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:47 am

Recently I fell into an internet scam. I went to a website that looks like Nike's and bought 2 pairs of shoes for DS. When I received an email confirming my credit card payment, I got suspicious. The email doesn't feel right. I have bought through Amazon, eBay, iHerb, etc and this particular receipt just doesn't look right.

I immediately searched for their Customer Service email address to complain and I found out that the Customer Service email address is a Gmail address! :yikes:

I quickly called my bank to cancel my credit card and dispute my purchases.

5 weeks after the purchase, I received one pair of shoes from China that very obvious is a fake. One week later, I received one pair of shoes from USA that is Women's size (I ordered Men's size) and the colour is totally wrong.

The bank had refunded my money but what should I do now? If I report that now I have received 2 pairs of shoes (which completely unusable for me), would it become just a bad service from the seller and I still have to pay the seller?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Internet scam

Postby 12mum » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:43 pm

Even though the bank refunded the money to you, did you do a cancellation with the sellers?

return the goods to sellers since they are not the ones you ordered and no Do not pay them at all especially if you think it might be a credit card scam.

12mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby FantasyLandDreams » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:54 pm

Maybe consider canceling your credit card used for this purchase as well? You never know what they can do if it turn out to be really a scam....

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:15 pm

First, never pay via credit card unless you are very sure about the authenticity of the seller. Pay through Paypal instead. Create a paypal account and store your credit card in that account. That way, your credit card details will not be released to the merchants.

Next, if you had cancelled your order immediately when you filed your dispute, then you don't need to do anything, since the seller just insisted on sending the shoes to you without your consent.

However, if you did not cancel your order, then it is only fair to the seller that you send the shoes back. You will have to bear the shipping costs. Use a trackable service so that you know that the seller actually received the goods.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby ngl2010 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:35 pm

Thank you, 12mum, FantasyLandDreams and ChiefKiasu for the advice.

I had cancelled my credit card immediately after I suspected there is something wrong with the website. I have PayPal but the website doesn't accept PayPal.

I emailed the seller asking them for their address so I can return the shoes but the email bounced back. There is no address in the website. I guess now I can only wait for the seller to contact me. :shrug: I only worry that the bank take back what they have refunded me.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Just4Fun » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:15 pm

ngl2010 wrote:Thank you, 12mum, FantasyLandDreams and ChiefKiasu for the advice.

I had cancelled my credit card immediately after I suspected there is something wrong with the website. I have PayPal but the website doesn't accept PayPal.

I emailed the seller asking them for their address so I can return the shoes but the email bounced back. There is no address in the website. I guess now I can only wait for the seller to contact me. :shrug: I only worry that the bank take back what they have refunded me.

Ngl2010. How do u managed to get refund from the bank? Can reveal which bank is that ? I remembered I did try to cancel but the bank refused... Claimed that I could get a refund only if there is evident that this is indeed a scam.. And to do that, I need to produce a police report !

Just4Fun
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:36 pm

Just4Fun wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:Thank you, 12mum, FantasyLandDreams and ChiefKiasu for the advice.

Ngl2010. How do u managed to get refund from the bank? Can reveal which bank is that ? I remembered I did try to cancel but the bank refused... Claimed that I could get a refund only if there is evident that this is indeed a scam.. And to do that, I need to produce a police report !

It is UOB. I called UOB within 30 minutes after I made the transaction. I also emailed UOB the internet receipt within 2 hours. The shop's name is not the same as the merchant's name in the internet receipt. The name in the internet receipt is so strange like a string of meaningless alphabets. I got the impression that the shop is in the USA but UOB said the merchant is in China. I didn't have to submit a police report. The bank said the dispute will take 45-90 days but I got my money back within 6 weeks.

Which bank asked you for a police report?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Augmum » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:41 pm

ngl2010 wrote:Recently I fell into an internet scam. I went to a website that looks like Nike's and bought 2 pairs of shoes for DS....

ngl2010, wonder which website u had bot from since u mentioned looks like Nike's ? if u dont mind to reveal (or Pm ?)

Yes, some websites do not accept paypal...if that 's the case i'll look for other suppliers/sellers...

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ngl2010 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:45 pm

Augmum wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:Recently I fell into an internet scam. I went to a website that looks like Nike's and bought 2 pairs of shoes for DS....

ngl2010, wonder which website u had bot from since u mentioned looks like Nike's ? if u dont mind to reveal (or Pm ?)

Yes, some websites do not accept paypal...if that 's the case i'll look for other suppliers/sellers...

I'll pm you.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Augmum » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:48 pm

ngl2010 wrote:
Augmum wrote:

I'll pm you.

Thanks... it's good to get alert of such merchants...glad that u got back yr refund plus cancellation of yr CC...

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time