Advice on water heater - storage or instant?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Advice on water heater - storage or instant?

Postby cattie85 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:08 pm

I'm moving into a new place and we're trying to make a decision on instant or storage for our water heater. So far our top pick is Ariston, their designs are nice and clean so SO many options! We've gotten so many recommendations to do Ariston over Jovan and Rheem etc.

Anyone have experience or advice to offer or instant vs storage for a 2 bedroom?

cattie85
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Advice on water heater - storage or instant?

Postby mel2sg » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:14 pm

The weather in Singapore is so warm, you do not really need a storage water heater. An instant water heater just quick-heat is good enough for bathing, even during cool period (Dec).

Save electricity too :evil:

mel2sg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:36 pm

mel2sg wrote:The weather in Singapore is so warm, you do not really need a storage water heater. An instant water heater just quick-heat is good enough for bathing, even during cool period (Dec).

Save electricity too :evil:

Agree with this. We rarely turn our instant heater to its middle level and never to the hottest level.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby rains » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:52 pm

I remember reading quite a few bad reviews on Ariston storage heater when I was trying to decide on heaters.

A few people said that their ariston storage heater leaked and those who used jovan didn't have any problem with it.

My sister used jovan for the last 8 years and it has been working well.

Whether you use instant or storage depends on your shower head. If you are installing a rainshower, you need to have a storage heater most of the time. Instant heaters can't 'power' rainshowers up. But I do know of a rainshower that comes with an instant heater. Can't remember the name though.

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Augmum » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:49 pm

cattie85 wrote:I'm moving into a new place and we're trying to make a decision on instant or storage for our water heater. So far our top pick is Ariston, their designs are nice and clean so SO many options! We've gotten so many recommendations to do Ariston over Jovan and Rheem etc.

Anyone have experience or advice to offer or instant vs storage for a 2 bedroom?

We are currently using Ariston storage heater...
Er... so far No leaking ...hv been using it for years :xedfingers:

Previously, we were using Rheem, it leaked...also Rheem consumed more electricity...( could be older model...not sure of current newer model)....

As for Jovan...ever read that the water can get heated up very quickly...u hv to be mindful to turn the mixer to cooler water...

For us, we prefer using storage heater to instant heater...becos we can hv the option of hot/ warm water supply to the whole house...
We hv it for the bathrooms, kitchen n for the washing machine...
In addition...Storage heater water pressure is higher than instant heater...

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby janet88 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:35 am

I used rheem for more than 10 years before it leaked, due to wear and tear. Just changed to another one last November. Switch off heater when not in use.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:36 am

I used rheem for more than 10 years before it leaked, due to wear and tear. Just changed to another one last November. Switch off heater when not in use.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby floppy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:33 am

rains wrote:Whether you use instant or storage depends on your shower head. If you are installing a rainshower, you need to have a storage heater most of the time. Instant heaters can't 'power' rainshowers up. But I do know of a rainshower that comes with an instant heater. Can't remember the name though.

If installing a rainshower, storage heater is the only option. Otherwise, doesn't matter which is in use (even the city gas one is a viable option).

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby patntee » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:18 pm

Storage heater is nicer to have if you don't mind the additional costs. Mine was Ariston storage heater too and it leaked after maybe about 7-8 years. Those in the business of selling heaters will tell you it is common to leak after 5 years. Fix it early when it leaks as in my case, we ignored it long enough for the leakage to spoil our overhead cabinet in the master bedroom toilet. We've switched to instant heaters, more convenient as the hot water is instant but water is not as warm and water pressure from the showerhead is lower.

patntee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kiasu--carer » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:08 am

Instant works very well and takes less space .

kiasu--carer
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time