General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Form letters/articles on education system

Postby Flockgames » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:10 pm

Flockgames
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Form letters/articles on education system

Postby Ikid » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:49 pm

Schools should not load piles of homework to students during the short, 1-week March holidays. Students should be given the chance to rest their minds, to re-charge, to revise what they have learnt but not be occupied with tons of homework to be handed up for term 2, which is right after the March school holidays. To run a longer race, shouldn't the students be given sufficient rest?

Ikid
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby janet88 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:44 pm

schools should not get students to return for additional lessons during the holidays or even give homework during the holidays...otherwise, why have holidays?

our kids do not enjoy childhood as it is...to get students to return to school for supplementary lessons during the short 1 week holiday is crazy.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sembgal » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:19 am

Ikid wrote:Schools should not load piles of homework to students during the short, 1-week March holidays. Students should be given the chance to rest their minds, to re-charge, to revise what they have learnt but not be occupied with tons of homework to be handed up for term 2, which is right after the March school holidays. To run a longer race, shouldn't the students be given sufficient rest?

My friend's kid from Chongfu, a P4 class, kena lots of homework for March holidays. Suey right?

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:26 am

sembgal wrote:
Ikid wrote:Schools should not load piles of homework to students during the short, 1-week March holidays. Students should be given the chance to rest their minds, to re-charge, to revise what they have learnt but not be occupied with tons of homework to be handed up for term 2, which is right after the March school holidays. To run a longer race, shouldn't the students be given sufficient rest?

My friend's kid from Chongfu, a P4 class, kena lots of homework for March holidays. Suey right?

If the parents feel it's too much, they can always approach the teachers to negotiate. Or they can decide what is busy-work and cut back on it. I have sometimes helped my kids finish work just to get it done faster, or told them not to bother and just tell the teacher we ran out of time.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:16 am

sembgal wrote:

I've heard this before...it's a pressure cooker studying in this school. math standard is very high.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:08 am

sembgal wrote:

If don't want kid to be in a pressure cooker school why during P1 registration die die must get kid into the pressure cooker school? :scratchhead:

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:10 am

some parents don't know the school is pressure cooker mah...until the child gets in...especially for first child.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imp75 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:01 pm

janet88 wrote:
sembgal wrote:

I've heard this before...it's a pressure cooker studying in this school. math standard is very high.

I have 3 kids in CF in P3 and P5. The March holi hw ok, not a lot. A lot of students also going back to school these few days to prep for the 100 year anniversary performance in Apr plus training for sports competition in Term 2.
Agree on the high Maths standard, level mean only 50 or so for P5 (same when P4 last year)

Imp75
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:06 pm

CF belongs to the clan association. son's kindy classmate's father joined the clan to get kids into the school. the other pressure cooker school I heard is river valley primary...homework is crazy.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time