Can MOE teachers be bullies too?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Can MOE teachers be bullies too?

Postby sembgal » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:00 am

My friend's son was sharing with me that his form teacher kept his friends in school after class or forbid them to go for recess as punishment. Is this bullying? Does MOE condone this? I'm not sure how many primary school teachers practise this? Just read the blog written by an MOE ex-teacher.

http://neurotic-ramblings-sg.blogspot.s ... n.html?m=1

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Can MOE teachers be bullies too?

Postby janet88 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:46 am

sembgal wrote:My friend's son was sharing with me that his form teacher kept his friends in school after class or forbid them to go for recess as punishment. Is this bullying? Does MOE condone this? I'm not sure how many primary school teachers practise this? Just read the blog written by an MOE ex-teacher.

Has any parent done anything about this? Informed the principal yet?
Even if the child/class is to be punished, they should not be kept from recess as the kids will be hungry.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:35 am

Yes, teachers are also human beings, subject to feelings n will bully students whom they don't like.

My son was one victim in Pri 6 by his Maths teacher.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:18 am

sembgal wrote:My friend's son was sharing with me that his form teacher kept his friends in school after class or forbid them to go for recess as punishment. Is this bullying? Does MOE condone this? I'm not sure how many primary school teachers practise this? Just read the blog written by an MOE ex-teacher.

Do you think it is bullying? And why?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:31 pm

What is there to suggest that this is anything more than mere detention?

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:45 pm

To answer the question , Yes, anybody can be a bully.

But would I consider a teacher detaining a student from recess as a bully?

I did not when my child's P1/P2 teacher did that. In fact i found it very effective. Children that age really look forward to recess - the unofficial play time, and taking that privilege away was a very effective deterrent.

The teacher is a great teacher - jovial and friendly but firm - perfect for the lower primary. The children knew if they broke rules/didnt hand in work on time repeatedly - the punishment was spend the recess in near the staff room with the teacher, and are given 10 mins to quickly grab a bite before returning to class. They fondly called it "tea party" with Mrs.FormTeacher.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dimsum » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:03 pm

I think detainment during recess is a common practice. To me, it's not bullying at all. My boy was detained twice. He misbehaved, so he deserved to be punished. To me, it's a very very minor punishment. Same as Sun's child, teacher gave them 10minutes to take a quick bite. These days, teacher can't administer physical punishment anymore, if detainment during recess is also considered as bullying and kana complaints to MOE, I think more teachers will quit from the profession.

dimsum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 12mum » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:04 pm

Ds's teachers will only punish those who repeatedly forget to do homework etc. usually these kids are only held back for a while and will have 10-15 minutes to grab a bite. Also parents will be informed.

I don't consider this as bullying. In fact some kids don't mind cos by the time they get to the canteen, queue is shorter (though some of their favourite food might be sold out), easier to get seat. :smile:

The teacher is seeking trouble for herself if she keep the child for the whole recess without food.
Last edited by 12mum on Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

12mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:07 pm

Anyone can be a bully. Honestly, I have bullied my way into certain things as well.

In this instance stated by Sembgal, just base on what is posted, I will not call it bullying. And missing 1 recess will not harm the kid that much. Most kids make use of the recess to play rather than to eat.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby janet88 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:23 pm

12mum wrote:Ds's teachers will only punish those who repeatedly forget to do homework etc. usually these kids are only held back for a while and will have 10-15 minutes to grab a bite. Also parents will be informed.

I don't consider this as bullying. In fact some kids don't mind cos by the time they get to the canteen, queue is shorter (though some of their favourite food might be sold out), easier to get seat. :smile:

The teacher is seeking trouble for herself if she keep the child for the whole recess without food.

I remember my son was held back from recess when he was in primary school...and it was his kind classmate who secretly passed him something to eat during that 20 minutes or he would be starving by the time school ended.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time