kids alone at home

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

kids alone at home

Postby Aloysiusbb » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:56 am

Hi parents,

anyone let your kids stay at home after school?

Aloysiusbb
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: kids alone at home

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:10 am

What age kids? And for what length of time?
Last edited by slmkhoo on Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:11 am

That will depend on age, maturity, dynamics between kids, time alone and neighbourhood right? And of course personal circumstances.

Eg a doctor's wife told me she could not leave her then 12 year old daughter alone because she is afraid the girl will set the house on fire. So on the day of my appointment, she had brought the girl along.
Last edited by ammonite on Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Aloysiusbb » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:13 am

slmkhoo wrote:What age kids? And for what length of time?

my ds is P3 this yr.. if no extra lesson he will stay at home for 4 hr and my mum will reach home from work.

Aloysiusbb
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Aloysiusbb » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:15 am

ammonite wrote:That will depend on age, maturity, dynamics between kids, time alone and neighbourhood right? And of course personal circumstances.

currently is still in student care and school bus will cater him to the centre, but with all the extra lessons he go to student care and take bus for less than 3 days.

Aloysiusbb
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ammonite » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:16 am

Aloysiusbb wrote:

my ds is P3 this yr.. if no extra lesson he will stay at home for 4 hr and my mum will reach home from work.

if he is sensible and you have no choice, you can try it out. One of ds's ex classmates was home alone everyday until after dinner. He buys his own lunch and dinner. So it can be done. But really depends on your child.

Edit to add: do cover all safety angles with him thoug, especially on fire and stranger issues. Make sure he always know where the keys are in case there is a fire and he needs to unlock the grills. One of my teacher friend told me how shocked she was when she asked her class about locked grills and keys. If she didn't say so, it would not have crossed my mind.
Last edited by ammonite on Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:17 am

If the child is very responsible and mature, and it's not every day, I guess it may be OK. I would still prefer a child that young to be accompanied. I wouldn't be comfortable with this arrangement until the child is about 11yo, I think.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Aloysiusbb » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:20 am

ammonite wrote:
Aloysiusbb wrote:

if he is sensible and you have no choice, you can try it out. One of ds's ex classmates was home alone everyday until after dinner. He buys his own lunch and dinner. So it can be done. But really depends on your child.

after extra lesson he already walk home himself and will say hungry and go and buy some bread and eat while on the way home..

my worries is he will not do his homework.

as i am single parents and i just let him go for tuition and the $$ is abit tight if tuition and student care together.

so i thinking to stop student care and school bus and let him go for tuition.

Aloysiusbb
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ammonite » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:25 am

Can he stay back in school instead, eat at canteen and do his homework in school before going home? This way it will shorten the amount of time he is at home alone and he is still in a secure environment. I see some kids doing that at my sons' school. If the teachers are supportive, he may also be able to get some help with schoolwork.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Aloysiusbb » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:31 am

ammonite wrote:Can he stay back in school instead, eat at canteen and do his homework in school before going home? This way it will shorten the amount of time he is at home alone and he is still in a secure environment. I see some kids doing that at my sons' school. If the teachers are supportive, he may also be able to get some help with schoolwork.

I asked him before.. he say if he go home can sleep if he tired.. cos sometimes he tired.. and he only 2 days no extra lesson..

Aloysiusbb
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time