Volunteering your time at Charity organisations

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Volunteering your time at Charity organisations

Postby nani » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:27 pm

Hi there

I am just curious, for those volunteers who drive, do you mind paying for your own car park even if its $5 to $10 a day?

Would like to hear your opinions.

nani
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:49 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Volunteering your time at Charity organisations

Postby Norbu » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:05 am

nani wrote:Hi there

I am just curious, for those volunteers who drive, do you mind paying for your own car park even if its $5 to $10 a day?

Would like to hear your opinions.


i don't mind, actually many expenses comes out from my pocket and i don't claim or seek other volunteers to share expenses even.

Norbu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:54 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Volunteering your time at Charity organisations

Postby ammonite » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:10 am

I am not currently volunteering, but among family members who do, no one claim travel expenses. That's kind of weird.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2223
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:13 am
Total Likes: 64


Re: Volunteering your time at Charity organisations

Postby atrecord » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:32 am

If it's a charity volunteer event, by right they will not have much $$ to spare for a start - that's why need volunteers.

But if they collect lots of donations/contributions, and are actually allowing lots of claims/reimbursements, maybe even celebrations afterwards, then it's a different matter.

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2222
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:25 am
Total Likes: 6


Re: Volunteering your time at Charity organisations

Postby sinoboy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:51 am

ammonite wrote:I am not currently volunteering, but among family members who do, no one claim travel expenses. That's kind of weird.

Yes kind of weird to claim any expense for volunteering at a charity. Unless you volunteer in school, then you are turning the expense into more chances at balloting at school. :lol:

sinoboy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:53 am
Total Likes: 18



Re: Volunteering your time at Charity organisations

Postby nani » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:15 pm

Just like to hear different perspectives. As a person with no income, eg. Sahm with grown up children; retirees; etc whom have the time but no income, don't one think paying for car park on a daily basis do deters them from volunteering at such organisations?

nani
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:49 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Volunteering your time at Charity organisations

Postby sushi88 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:22 pm

nani, I can see your point about volunteering time and not money.

However, to me, if there is reimbursement, it is an added bonus because not every volunteer organisation has the funds to support this. I think it is ok to ask the organisation upfront if car charges is really not affordable and then make your decision from there. I do not think the organisation can fault any one if one has no income and cannot pay for the car park charges. It is a practical issue.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2491
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:37 am
Total Likes: 163


Re: Volunteering your time at Charity organisations

Postby zbear » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:46 pm

nani wrote:Just like to hear different perspectives. As a person with no income, eg. Sahm with grown up children; retirees; etc whom have the time but no income, don't one think paying for car park on a daily basis do deters them from volunteering at such organisations?



I don't wish to be rude but having no income can still afford a car which means also can afford parking fees?

:smile:

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4991
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:14 pm
Total Likes: 64


Re: Volunteering your time at Charity organisations

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:19 pm

Would public transport be viable and cheaper? I would expect that charities would usually not expect to reimburse volunteers. I guess in this, as in all decisions, all aspects need to be considered. I don't drive, but even so, I would probably not volunteer anywhere too far from my home or anywhere it would require me to take a taxi if it's too far from public transport. So I guess if there is no cheaper alternative to the expensive parking, then perhaps the person should volunteer elsewhere.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8072
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 173


Re: Volunteering your time at Charity organisations

Postby nani » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:16 pm

zbear wrote:
nani wrote:Just like to hear different perspectives. As a person with no income, eg. Sahm with grown up children; retirees; etc whom have the time but no income, don't one think paying for car park on a daily basis do deters them from volunteering at such organisations?



I don't wish to be rude but having no income can still afford a car which means also can afford parking fees?

:smile:


To be fair, one can be driving an old car which maybe already fully paid but just using it for leisure since still have it. So here I am citing eg, of retirees, they do not have income and yet want to volunteer their time. But parking fee could takes a toll. Afterall, is just a curious topic off my mind.

nani
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:49 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Recess Time