Girl, checking phone, is hit while crossing road at green ma

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Girl, checking phone, is hit while crossing road at green ma

Postby janet88 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:33 pm

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/ ... -green-man

even if the green man is in the girl's favour, she should still be crossing the road with 2 eyes on the road. I've seen so many pedestrians with their eyes focused on their mobile phones while crossing the road...some even have ear plugs.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Girl, checking phone, is hit while crossing road at gree

Postby KanChiongMum » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:03 am

sometimes even when the light change...you see the car still going so fast...it's better to just pause and wait for it to come to a complete stop...

KanChiongMum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby janet88 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:19 am

KanChiongMum wrote:sometimes even when the light change...you see the car still going so fast...it's better to just pause and wait for it to come to a complete stop...

some drivers try to beat the red light...it's safer to stop and check that all the cars stop before crossing the road.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby atrecord » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:29 am

janet88 wrote:
KanChiongMum wrote:sometimes even when the light change...you see the car still going so fast...it's better to just pause and wait for it to come to a complete stop...

some drivers try to beat the red light...it's safer to stop and check that all the cars stop before crossing the road.

Pedestrians using handphones with headphones are everywhere in the world now. It is extremely dangerous and irresponsible to themselves.

I'm surprised that we haven't had any campaigns here yet to educated the public not to do this. I remember the time when we used to have campaigns for everything new…

But specifically in this case, the car (with the camera) is clearly at fault for not keeping a proper lookout when turning. The green man for the pedestrians to cross is lit, so while the lady was not paying attention, she was right to cross. It's the driver who should first and foremost be looking out for people crossing at the junction in such instances.

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:15 am

atrecord wrote:But specifically in this case, the car (with the camera) is clearly at fault for not keeping a proper lookout when turning. The green man for the pedestrians to cross is lit, so while the lady was not paying attention, she was right to cross. It's the driver who should first and foremost be looking out for people crossing at the junction in such instances.

Unfortunately, having the right of way doesn't mean that you will always get it! And the weaker party, even if in the right, will always suffer more injury. I have warned my kids many times about this, and I hope they are careful when not with me.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sinoboy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:18 am

atrecord wrote:But specifically in this case, the car (with the camera) is clearly at fault for not keeping a proper lookout when turning. The green man for the pedestrians to cross is lit, so while the lady was not paying attention, she was right to cross. It's the driver who should first and foremost be looking out for people crossing at the junction in such instances.

Nowsadays drivers can come from other countries. Some countries cars more valuable than people's lives. Some countries is whatever the light signal or zebra, should just go first then check. Bang already got sound. So pedestrians should be the ones who should be careful. :scared:

sinoboy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby catddy2002 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:32 am

Now even at zebra crossing,some vechicle dont stop even you show you want to cross. So don't think you at zebra crossing, you have the right of way and just cross without checking the vehicles.

catddy2002
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janet88 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:50 am

Even if the pedestrian has the right of way, he/she should not assume drivers will observe rules...who is at the losing end? When the driver knocks down someone, the most is imprisonment, fine or banned from driving...pedestrian will either die, become bedridden or in coma. It's time for the traffic police to educate the public extensively not to cross the road with their eyes and ears plugged to the mobile phone.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby atrecord » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:20 pm

slmkhoo wrote:

Unfortunately, having the right of way doesn't mean that you will always get it! And the weaker party, even if in the right, will always suffer more injury. I have warned my kids many times about this, and I hope they are careful when not with me.

Yes, this is the sad fact now.

If you recall, in the Bugis Ferrari accident, the taxi had the right of way too, but ended up 2 lives were lost in the car with right of way…

The roads are getting a lot more dangerous now...

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:48 pm

atrecord wrote:The roads are getting a lot more dangerous now...

I couldn't agree more - roads are getting more crowded, drivers are getting more inconsiderate n careless.

Must be very careful when walking out on the roads.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time