Why Singapore is cracking down on 'Tiger Mums'

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Why Singapore is cracking down on 'Tiger Mums'

Postby janet88 » Wed May 06, 2015 10:49 pm

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/why-s ... 57425.html
hope this piece of news won't be deleted.

Singapore households spent S$1.1 billion on tutors outside school in the year ended September 2013, according to the most-recent survey by the statistics department.

as parents, we do not wish to see our kids work full time and study at night...we hope :xedfingers: they can get their degrees before going out to work. 半工半读 is very tough.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Why Singapore is cracking down on 'Tiger Mums'

Postby sleepy » Thu May 07, 2015 9:54 am

The 248 comments responding to this article is more interesting :evil:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Thu May 07, 2015 10:19 am

Let's see how many non degree holders the PAP fields in this coming GE. :imanangel:

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Thu May 07, 2015 10:40 am

The messaging seems to be, if you don't have a degree, if you work hard, you can still make it in life. So with no paper, you must work hard..

So with a degree, it appear that you will then have a smoother path (in the old world) as that is like the stepping stone. In addition, if you work hard, you will be able to achieve alot more.

Speaking for myself, as asian parents, definitely hoping that kids have degrees given that we are both degree holders. If they don't get it, probably we will feel that we didn't meet one of our "KPIs"?

But having a degree these days is really nothing. If you look at someone born in 50s and 60s with a degree, they probably had a lot more opportunities and job security as Singapore was developing. For those born in the 70s, degree is like the stepping stone after you saw the success of the early batch and yes you can get good jobs but of course, job security is a big question mark these days when you are in your 40s....

For those in 80s, it is really getting alot more competitive. Sometimes when I think of my kids' era, I wonder what will happen to them. Having a degree is no big deal as almost everyone has it. How do they then have that competitive advantage to land the job???? Or are they really better off learning a specialized skill. Someone told me about their child choosing some cooking course in the poly after o levels. Was thinking of shatec in the old world. Well, if the child has that passion and talent and with succession issues for hawkers these days, why not? So yes, we need to change our mindset or have I been brainwashed?

If my child tells me he wants to pursue his interest in symphonic band one day, I will probably give him my blessings though many will be like musician???? how to survive in Singapore?. But I will tell him that he has to do his best in his field eg. be a respectable band conductor, etc.... While he may not be making big bucks to buy big cars or houses but I am sure he still can earn a decent living to support his family and at the same time, enjoy his passion.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby janet88 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:46 am

If my daughter tells me she wants to be a singer in Singapore, I would be very worried.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Thu May 07, 2015 11:11 am

janet88 wrote:If my daughter tells me she wants to be a singer in Singapore, I would be very worried.

:lol:
If she CAN sing, why not? She can be a singer-songwriter and make all Singaporeans proud! :rahrah:

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Thu May 07, 2015 12:27 pm

ammonite wrote:
janet88 wrote:If my daughter tells me she wants to be a singer in Singapore, I would be very worried.

:lol:
If she CAN sing, why not? She can be a singer-songwriter and make all Singaporeans proud! :rahrah:

Wow!! janet becomes 星妈!!

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Thu May 07, 2015 12:34 pm

If my daughter said that , I would be worried too - that's because I know how she sings :laugh:

Worried is ok, the important question is would I stop her from doing that?

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Thu May 07, 2015 12:44 pm

MMM wrote:The messaging seems to be, if you don't have a degree, if you work hard, you can still make it in life. So with no paper, you must work hard..

So with a degree, it appear that you will then have a smoother path (in the old world) as that is like the stepping stone. In addition, if you work hard, you will be able to achieve alot more.

Speaking for myself, as asian parents, definitely hoping that kids have degrees given that we are both degree holders. If they don't get it, probably we will feel that we didn't meet one of our "KPIs"?

But having a degree these days is really nothing. If you look at someone born in 50s and 60s with a degree, they probably had a lot more opportunities and job security as Singapore was developing. For those born in the 70s, degree is like the stepping stone after you saw the success of the early batch and yes you can get good jobs but of course, job security is a big question mark these days when you are in your 40s....

For those in 80s, it is really getting alot more competitive. Sometimes when I think of my kids' era, I wonder what will happen to them. Having a degree is no big deal as almost everyone has it. How do they then have that competitive advantage to land the job???? Or are they really better off learning a specialized skill. Someone told me about their child choosing some cooking course in the poly after o levels. Was thinking of shatec in the old world. Well, if the child has that passion and talent and with succession issues for hawkers these days, why not? So yes, we need to change our mindset or have I been brainwashed?

If my child tells me he wants to pursue his interest in symphonic band one day, I will probably give him my blessings though many will be like musician???? how to survive in Singapore?. But I will tell him that he has to do his best in his field eg. be a respectable band conductor, etc.... While he may not be making big bucks to buy big cars or houses but I am sure he still can earn a decent living to support his family and at the same time, enjoy his passion.

:goodpost:

But If my child said she wants to go the off beaten track, I will discourage her. I will ask her some hard question and she will have to prove herself. Because walking along the path less travelled needs more than just talent in that field. It takes resilience to take the knocks and stand up, it takes belief in self when doubts/regrets creep in , it takes courage not to give up. Without all that , talent should be just a hobby.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu May 07, 2015 2:24 pm

Sun_2010 wrote:But If my child said she wants to go the off beaten track, I will discourage her. I will ask her some hard question and she will have to prove herself. Because walking along the path less travelled needs more than just talent in that field. It takes resilience to take the knocks and stand up, it takes belief in self when doubts/regrets creep in , it takes courage not to give up. Without all that , talent should be just a hobby.

I wouldn't necessarily discourage, but if I feel that the child is over-reaching herself, or just doing something without sufficient thought, I would probably intervene. If possible, I would ask her to prove herself in whatever she wants to do either as a part-time or temporary trial, and see how it goes. Getting a decent education is necessary, and if a child is clearly capable of getting a university degree, I would certainly encourage it, but it doesn't have to be immediately after finishing school. Nowadays, going to university after some time working is increasingly acceptable and possible. For a child who is not of university calibre, I would just acept it and take it from there. No point discouraging her by telling her how much more difficult it is going to be.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time