General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:35

Re: Let's Talk about National Service

Post by starlight1968sg » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:09 pm

Janet
Maybe bec they are 娘娘兵 who do limited work?

emoh
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:12

Post by emoh » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:07 pm

MyPillow wrote:my dh was fr changi camp too, he din like to comment much on ns life but he told me commando unit value and emphasise a lot on safety SOPs, buddy system, never leave a man behind.. the most "siong" unit in then end may be the "safest" coz all are always on high alert mode., no chance to relax around.
Safety of NS men ( our Spore men) is of paramount importance -the governance body must know !
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore ... _Formation

Accidents and controversies
The commandos have won the SAF's annual Best Combat Unit competition many times since 1969. However, in 2003, the 1 CDO was barred from the competition after it was found guilty of doctoring score-keeping records and fitness test results.[3]

Serious accidents during training are rare and were hardly, or probably never, publicised in the media until 2003, when the SAF's standards of safety in training came under increased scrutiny following the deaths of some servicemen during training.

On 21 August 2003, Second Sergeant (2SG) Hu Enhuai of the Singapore Guards died during a combat survival training course conducted by the commandos. Four commandos were charged in court a year later for carrying out the "dunking" procedure deemed inappropriate for training purposes.[4] On 3 September, 2SG Rajagopal Thirukumaran, a regular serviceman also from the Singapore Guards, died after a run during a selection for the SAF Ranger Course conducted by the Commando Training Wing.[5]

On 15 June 2005, 2SG Ong Jia Hui, a regular serviceman who was training as a member of the Maritime Counter-Terrorism Group (under the Special Operations Force), drowned during training at Changi Naval Base.[6][7] On 13 July, First Sergeant (1SG) Shiva s/o Mohan, a regular commando, fell from 20 metres above the ground while rappelling from a helicopter and was pronounced dead in hospital about two hours later.[8]

On 20 June 2006, Lieutenant (LTA) Lionel Lin, a regular commando officer, died after encountering difficulties while undergoing training at the swimming pool in Hendon Camp.

On 13 March 2010, 1SG Woo Teng Hai, a regular commando, was accidentally shot by a villager during overseas training in Thailand. He was flown back to Singapore on the same day and was discharged from hospital by the end of that month.[9] [10]

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:254

Post by phtthp » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:10 pm

janet88 wrote: I literally cringe seeing the word 'crushed'. a human body vs a heavy machine.
Actually that day, when newspaper reported that he was on artificial machine life support, because his 3 major organs (heart, lungs, kidney ) were badly damaged, we knew it was as good as ... gone case

Damage to one major organ, say, heart (pumping blood, throughout his whole body to all the cells) is already bad enough !
What more, plus his lungs 2nd major organ also damaged & plus kidney also damaged, some more ?

Poor chap. So young, only 28 years old, a sad un-necessary tragedy. He need not have died
Last edited by phtthp on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fanren
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:9

Post by fanren » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:14 pm

Look at where his position was

Saplings
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Saplings » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:17 pm

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:210

Post by floppy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:20 pm

When the numbers and details are redacted, I think most of the conversation is BS or just plain fake.

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:37

Post by mommyNg » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:21 pm

:sad:

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:93

Post by Estéema » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:29 pm

floppy wrote:When the numbers and details are redacted, I think most of the conversation is BS or just plain fake.
Yup! I’m always careful with those few recent forumers spreading negativity. Noticed they always stoke negativity against govt & authorities. We’ve got to stay objective fr all unnecessary notices.

peasants
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:20

Post by peasants » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:32 pm

emoh wrote:
MyPillow wrote:my dh was fr changi camp too, he din like to comment much on ns life but he told me commando unit value and emphasise a lot on safety SOPs, buddy system, never leave a man behind.. the most "siong" unit in then end may be the "safest" coz all are always on high alert mode., no chance to relax around.
Safety of NS men ( our Spore men) is of paramount importance -the governance body must know !
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore ... _Formation

Accidents and controversies
The commandos have won the SAF's annual Best Combat Unit competition many times since 1969. However, in 2003, the 1 CDO was barred from the competition after it was found guilty of doctoring score-keeping records and fitness test results.[3]

Serious accidents during training are rare and were hardly, or probably never, publicised in the media until 2003, when the SAF's standards of safety in training came under increased scrutiny following the deaths of some servicemen during training.

On 21 August 2003, Second Sergeant (2SG) Hu Enhuai of the Singapore Guards died during a combat survival training course conducted by the commandos. Four commandos were charged in court a year later for carrying out the "dunking" procedure deemed inappropriate for training purposes.[4] On 3 September, 2SG Rajagopal Thirukumaran, a regular serviceman also from the Singapore Guards, died after a run during a selection for the SAF Ranger Course conducted by the Commando Training Wing.[5]

On 15 June 2005, 2SG Ong Jia Hui, a regular serviceman who was training as a member of the Maritime Counter-Terrorism Group (under the Special Operations Force), drowned during training at Changi Naval Base.[6][7] On 13 July, First Sergeant (1SG) Shiva s/o Mohan, a regular commando, fell from 20 metres above the ground while rappelling from a helicopter and was pronounced dead in hospital about two hours later.[8]

On 20 June 2006, Lieutenant (LTA) Lionel Lin, a regular commando officer, died after encountering difficulties while undergoing training at the swimming pool in Hendon Camp.

On 13 March 2010, 1SG Woo Teng Hai, a regular commando, was accidentally shot by a villager during overseas training in Thailand. He was flown back to Singapore on the same day and was discharged from hospital by the end of that month.[9] [10]
I know right. Don't even know what most siong unit has to do with safety and this poor young man.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:210

Post by floppy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:35 pm

Estéema wrote:
floppy wrote:When the numbers and details are redacted, I think most of the conversation is BS or just plain fake.
Yup! I’m always careful with those few recent forumers spreading negativity. Noticed they always stoke negativity against govt & authorities. We’ve got to stay objective fr all unnecessary notices.
Nothing wrong with being negative about the G or authorities (I am also not a fan of the PAP government :rotflmao: ).
However, some of these fake news is really :siao: :skeptical:
Simply too much States Times Review / Singapore Herald / Fabrications about PAP crap :siam: